Grados sounding bright
Aug 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Irri

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and also to using decent headphones with my Hi-Fi.

I recently bought a pair Grado RS2is. I'm using them with a Graham Slee Novo amp and a Linn Klimax DS streamer. I've had them running in for about 48 hours. To me they sound very harsh in the highs, and a little bass shy. I find this even with 24/96 recordings that normally sound very good on revealing equipment.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of setup? Are Grados known for sounding harsh and thin?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 33
Sounds like a Grado...How much research did you do before buying the Grados? What you describe is fairly universal between most of their models.

I've described almost every Grado experience I've had that way.

Quote:
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and also to using decent headphones with my Hi-Fi.

I recently bought a pair Grado RS2is. I'm using them with a Graham Slee Novo amp and a Linn Klimax DS streamer. I've had them running in for about 48 hours. To me they sound very harsh in the highs, and a little bass shy. I find this even with 24/96 recordings that normally sound very good on revealing equipment.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of setup? Are Grados known for sounding harsh and thin?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 33
Thanks for the information. Is there any chance a different headphone amp might tame them, or is better to go for something else? I can probably sell them for what I paid for them. If that's the case, what would you recommend I try instead?

In terms of research, I read a few posts where people with a similar (Linn) setup to me seemed to like them. I saw a cheap pair and bought them.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 33
Try them with the comfy pads. Moar bass and less highs...from what i read anyways. i like my sr325 brightness.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 33
Thanks for the information. Is there any chance a different headphone amp might tame them, or is better to go for something else? I can probably sell them for what I paid for them. If that's the case, what would you recommend I try instead?

In terms of research, I read a few posts where people with a similar (Linn) setup to me seemed to like them. I saw a cheap pair and bought them.

Just get new cans. You descibed their sound sig and you dislike it. Amps won't make it a new headphone.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:
Try them with the comfy pads. Moar bass and less highs...from what i read anyways. i like my sr325 brightness.

that or flat pads, or one of the many grado pad mods.  Grado headphones are very sensitive to even very small alteration in the foam thickness and density.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:
I paid £430 for them, new. They retail at £650.

basshead.gif

I know how expensive they are over here but still get a shock when someone brings it up. 
Trust me, 430 pounds ain't a bargain for these headphones.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 33
I agree. I could have waited for a friend to pick some up in the US, but I had pre I needed to sell so I used the money try out the Grados. I've seen what used ones go for here so I don't think I'll lose much. They do look (and sound, to be honest) like they are worth about £50. I'm still hoping for a suggestion of an alternative with a little more grace.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 33
I owned the RS2i before, sold them for pretty much the same reason you described - harsh and thin sounding. Prolonged run-in will lessen the issue but trace of such remains. Some suggested a good tube amp may help, but to my knowledge the Graham Slee Novo is one of the less peaky sounding solid state amp there is, so if you still found the issues bothersome after run-in chances are Grado is not for you.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:
They came with pads attached. Are they removable? Are there other ones that can be purchased?

I paid £430 for them, new. They retail at £650.

Yup, just east them off.  The simplest way to get more bass is to wrap a layer of electrical/masking/scotch tape around the outer edge of the pads, although YMMV.  Flat pads will definately increase bass response, at the expense of separation.

edit: flats can be ordered through http://www.ttvjaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back