Grados...how much do they improve with an amp?
Jan 21, 2005 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

justanotheruser

100+ Head-Fier
I know the Grados don't require amplification, but how much does an amplifier improve the sound? I was going to plop down $200 for 225s and another $2-300 on an amplifier. But now I'm thinking about skipping the amp for now and using the extra dough to step up a notch to MS-2s and get some A8s for portables (I know they're all about looks)...with money to spare. This wouldn't eliminate the possibility of getting an amp later...in fact this might allow me to spend much more when the time comes. What do ya think?

Jan 21, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 18
I don't see why you can't take that path. To be honest there is no set path of doing things. With a bit of research and listening you will know when the time comes if you need to upgrade or not. If you're happy without an amp then even better, less cost. Just take your time and enjoy the music for the time being
rs1smile.gif

Jan 21, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 18
Personally i say take the higher end headphones... if you take the amp now, you'll get the upgrade-itus and you'll end up spending more money in the long run.. keep the amp for later .. the pain of wanting a MS-2 is more than the pain (or lack thereof) of lacking a amp for a MS-2 ..

Jan 21, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 18
Try and buy used. There is always good deals in the for sale forums. I like buying used. You don;t have to put up with burning in the headphones (I can't stand it)

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 18
I didnt find my 225s improved a whole bunch, just noticed a little more presence, when I ran them through my Porta Corda mkII, although the headphone jack I am comparing it to is quite good (on an older amplifier), so I suppose it depends what you are stepping up from.

Jan 21, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 18
It would be the built-in mini-out of my G4 immediately (vs. my Delta 44 line --> amp) and in a year and a half when I go off to college the mini-out of a new Powerbook G4 (or G5...maybe that's wishful thinking...get moving Apple). Of course I'll also need an external audio interface for recording with the notebook, so I could get one with a good headphone out.

Jan 21, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 18
I guess that all depends on what kind of music you listen to and what kind of amp you buy. My SR325 changed a whole lot with the WooAudio3 tube amp. It brought alot more soundstage, and the vocals are out of this world, but the most difference I thought was how it separated all instruments so that you could really listen to them one by one if you wished to, without much concentration needed, which made everything sound great all together. The good thing about Grado headphones is that they give spunk to the sound even unampped, the bass and drums smack in your ear and that's whats so great about them imo, but the amp really is a plus. Of course, this is just a newbie's opinion, so it's up to you to see. My advice: audition as many different amps as you can and see for yourself.

Jan 21, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #8 of 18
Im sure ill catch heat from this but the way i see it no one really likes me round here anyway.

Amps color sound IMO, depending on the make or model you add. With an amp your gona add warmth (if its a tube) or its gona add bright (if its solid state) it all depends on what amp you use, just like it is the type of headphones you use.

Its not gona just amplyfy the signal its gona color it.

Jan 21, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 18
Is that a good or bad thing overall? Are you saying "there's a HUGE difference" or "amps aren't perfect"?

Jan 21, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 18
My 225's sounded good unamped, but they did improve quite a bit with the Gilmore Lite. Get yourself a good set of cans first and worry about the amp later. It's always cheaper to buy right the first time.

Jan 21, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
Im sure ill catch heat from this but the way i see it no one really likes me round here anyway.

Amps color sound IMO, depending on the make or model you add. With an amp your gona add warmth (if its a tube) or its gona add bright (if its solid state) it all depends on what amp you use, just like it is the type of headphones you use.

Its not gona just amplyfy the signal its gona color it.

the way an amp modify the sound is not only by adding colour. soundstage, dynamic, stereo separation are not colour-related

RP010 is the best amp I've ever heard and is totally neutral

jacopi|!

Jan 21, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotheruser
Is that a good or bad thing overall? Are you saying "there's a HUGE difference" or "amps aren't perfect"?

imho is a bad thing.
but is somehow depends on the can you're using. a good sinergy can make the headphones sound better by adding a bit of the "right" colour.

but let's say. the perfect set of headphones dont need colour
(who said qualia?)
tongue.gif

j|!

Jan 21, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 18
“but how much does an amplifier improve the sound?”

It depends on the quality of the source material- actual recording, type of media, type of source, interconnects etc.

An amp doesn’t per say; “improve the sound” it removes another layer of limitation to getting the utmost from the source material.

Garbage in = Garbage out. An amp is not going to change that equation.

Grado headphones seem to be able to carry their own as the upstream components improve.

Mitch

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 18
IMO. I've had my HP2's (I know we are talking about different drivers here) for about 7 years. In that time I never amped them. I was never very happy with the output from portable players. 6 Months ago I found Head-Fi and built a Mint. Now, after 7 years of listening to the same cans then with a small amp like the mint BLEW me away. Everything is much more separated even on marginal sources and at lower volumes. I think I would listens to the MS-2's or whatever you decide on for a few months. Then look into getting a used amp or even building one
rs1smile.gif
Of course then your GF will really be baffled with your hobby. My $.02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back