Grados get my feet tapping, while AKG gets my head swimming
Aug 6, 2007 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pentagonwizard

100+ Head-Fier
I think the warmer bass and percussion presence of the Grado SR225 makes them more physically involving, getting my body to move to the music. After a while though, the constant evidence of the percussion starts to bother me.
The AKG 501 has more depth and realism and makes me feel more like something is going on around me. I prefer them although I wish they were a little more involving for my whole body, to get my toes tapping.

Listening to an excellent samba recording that is Os Afro Sambas by Baden Powell.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 10
I haven't heard the 501s, but I do have the AKG 701s and know what you mean. The Grado signature is more involving and upfront and gets my toes tapping. The one thing I can say is that the AKG 701s do have a nice laid back sound that is neutral, which I do like at times.
rs1smile.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 10
I think that may be a part of the reason why so many members have more than one set of phones with different sonic signatures. It's nice to be able to switch around when the mood dictates.

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG's attempt to simulate the open sound of speakers.

That's kind of a broad statement, given the wide variety of sonic signature between K240, K240-M, K240-DF, K401, K501, K701, etc.

The DT-990 and K240-DF are both allegedly diffuse-field equalized, but i assure you they do not sound alike. Though the K240-DF is closer than the K240-M.

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 10
Hmm, for me the Grado RS-1 get my foot tapping as there are a feeling of getting amazed over its detail and rythem while the AKG k1000 get me rocking back and fourth in my chair as there are more "feeling" and realism in their sound.

But that is what i feel
rs1smile.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm bumping this thread because it really helped me decide to get AKGs, and after owning my K601s for six months, I think it's a great way to describe the sound.

The sound stage and instrument separation of AKGs really lets me get into the music, whereas from my experience with Grados, the upfront presentation lets the music get into me, if you see what I mean. Both are good qualities, it just depends what someone is looking for in a headphone.

Any other opinions? Hopefully people will find this as helpful as I did.

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that may be a part of the reason why so many members have more than one set of phones with different sonic signatures. It's nice to be able to switch around when the mood dictates.

Not just the mood, some phones seem better suited for some genres of music than others. Waiting for delivery of the 501s and looking forward to experiencing their presentation.

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 10
I know what you mean, that is why I usually use my 225's during the day. Then I switch to the K701's to relax me before bed. I have found that if I listen to the 701's for lets say and hour and then put the Grado's on it makes the Grado's sound like ass. That is just IMHO and a simple observation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back