Grados for running?
Jun 9, 2005 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

pablor

New Head-Fier
I'm currently experiencing some of the side-effects of audio upgrades.

The latest issue is this. I run quite a bit (inc. long distance), and have always been really happy with my PortaPros for this purpose...until now. Lately the sound has not been doing it for me, even just for running. I guess some people are never satisfied!

Anyway, I've tried with Etys but found this too much hassle. I'm wondering if Grado SR-60s might be a good option - I want something light, reasonably priced, and good straight out of an iPod (I draw the line at jogging with a headphone amp!)

I'll also use them for those occasions when I need a vague idea of what's happening around me.

Anyone used SR-60s for sports? Are they comfortable and light enough? And are they a big improvement on PortaPros? Any other phones I should consider?

Suggestions and comments gratefully received.

Thanks,

Pablor

Jun 9, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 21
any grado will fall off your head if your running, unless your really good at balancing your head and stuff.

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 21
You'd have to clamp them onto your head for them to stay in place.

Think Frankenstien with the bolts in his neck? If you had some threaded studs inserted above your ears.......... Definately a DIY project.

Mitch

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 21
Unless you have a popper in the centre of your head 'Lego stylee' you could snap the headband to, i'd say this idea's a non starter!
frown.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 21
if you really want the feeling of some grados, while on the move... why not check into maybe e5's or some of the other shure iems maybe?

I had a set of those a while ago, and they might offer you what you like. Though, i don't know how advisable it is to jog with an IEM in your ear, that is debatable.

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 21
Grado is supposed to be releasing another "Streetstyle" headphone sometime soon. Regular Grados will not work while running, I tried.
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
Though, i don't know how advisable it is to jog with an IEM in your ear, that is debatable.

Just on sound quality alone, an IEM is terrible for jogging...thump thump thump of your feet and heart.

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Grado is supposed to be releasing another "Streetstyle" headphone sometime soon. Regular Grados will not work while running, I tried.
wink.gif

Actually, why don't you send an e-mail to info@gradolabs.com about it? (I think that's still the address) I've sent them enough e-mails already.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #13 of 21
What about getting some HD25-1. I never used them for running but I know there are people who use them in gym.

Jun 10, 2005 at 8:44 AM Post #14 of 21
Thanks for the suggestions/comments guys.

Looks like Grado are out then. I'm just in the process of buying some HD-25s, so I'll try those out (though I suspect they might not be light enough for running). And my Shure E4Cs when they arrive.

Otherwise, I guess I'll stick with the PortaPros, which are super light and stay on well. I'll just have to get to like the sound again.

//Pablor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back