Grados and Rega Ear
Apr 11, 2005 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lordgibbness

100+ Head-Fier
I am thinking about getting a second pair of headphones (MS-1s or SR225s) to complement my HD600s.

However, I was wondering if they will work well through either my soundcard or my headphone amp (see signature) ? I really don't want to buy another headphone amp. My reason for getting the Grados is becuase I want the alternative sound to my Senns - but I don't want to break the bank.

With my current setup which headphones would work better, and which source should I use (soundcard of amp) ?

Thanks.

Apr 11, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 9
Lo there,

First off, you don't exactly need to purchase another amp for the cans you specified since they're very efficient. The rega works fine with grados, but the only drawback is the rega's amp. gain is too high for the low impedance grados. I find that the volume knob cannot go past anything over 9 oclock. This translates to : for slight volume adjustments, you have to be very sensitive with the knob. Other than this slight nuance, yeah the grados are a good complement for your hd600s.

Apr 11, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by eitook
Lo there,

First off, you don't exactly need to purchase another amp for the cans you specified since they're very efficient. The rega works fine with grados, but the only drawback is the rega's amp. gain is too high for the low impedance grados. I find that the volume knob cannot go past anything over 9 oclock. This translates to : for slight volume adjustments, you have to be very sensitive with the knob. Other than this slight nuance, yeah the grados are a good complement for your hd600s.

Cheers eitook, I see you've got a similar ideas headphone/amp-wise. I hear the Gilmore Lite is meant to be good for both Grados and Senns - but too late for that (and being in the UK the power supply was a difficulty). Quite funny though, I hardly listen to my HD600s above 9 o'clock so I wonder if I'll have the Grados much above 7 o'clock!

If they are very easy to drive then I may just plug them into my headphone out on my soundcard (it is amplified to some extent) which will mean I can swap headphones in a snap! And this leads me onto my other question... would the MS-1s or the SR225s be better in my setup?

Thanks all.

Apr 11, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 9
Hi lordgibbness,

I don't recommend using the Rega Ear with the intended Grado/Allesandro purchase, I agree with eitook, the gain is high and I found the noise level was quite high when used with low impedence headphones.

SR-60 (MS-1) I have works really well out of headphone jacks of the portable/computer device. I have not heard the SR125's so I cannot comment on that one.

best of luck,
overlunge

Apr 11, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 9
I'll probably end up getting the MS-1s (improved SR125s) as they are only $99 and only secondary headphones to my excellent HD600s. Probably seems a bit silly having another expensive pair of headphones really, with the SR225s costing about double that. If I did get the SR225s then I should really have a headphone amp with two outputs (so I don't have to keep unplugging) and the ability to drive high and low impedance cans. When I get them I'll have to try them in both the Ear and the Revo and I'll see which one fairs best.

Apr 12, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 9
In addition to noise, my Rega Ear also has pronounced channel imbalance until at least 7:30-8 o'clock ;-( Attenuators might help though (I use a dvd-player as my source, and they are a must for me even with Senns hd650).

Apr 14, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 9
I did some further research and it turns out that the output impedance of the Ear is 56ohms. This would also explain why the Grado's don't sound so good through the Ear as they are only 32ohms. The output impedance of the headphone socket should really be less than the headphone itself.

Oct 14, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness
The output impedance of the headphone socket should really be less than the headphone itself.

That's funny considering that the standard impedance for headphone outputs is 120.

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 9
I use a Rega EAR with my SR60 and the lack of a large usable range on the volume control doesn't bother me. The Grado's certainly sound better with the Rega EAR than with the standard output from my CD discman.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back