Grados And Classical
Sep 6, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #16 of 31
I disagree as well. For what it's worth, I graduated from a classical music conservatory and I'm very pleased with classical on my HF-2. I like classical on my grados for the same reason I like other music on them: the tone and timbre are very accurate to how I perceive the sound of real instruments. That includes big orchestral. If you're worried about the late romantics, check out Zinman's recording of Mahler 2 on Grados. It's extraordinary.

I don't know why people seem to immediately equate good reproduction of classical music with the presence of a huge soundstage. That may be some people's priority, but it's no more intrinsic to classical than it is to any other kind of music.

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im sure they would sound great with classical. Just don't expect a soundstage as large as something like the DT880, K701, or AD700/AD900. Separation should be excellent though. My MS-1 handles classical surprisingly well so Id expect the RS-1 to be even better. I actually pick the MS-1 over the AD700 for classical at times depending on my mood.

Why are you talking about a headphone you've never even heard?

You need something with soundstage. Part of the magic of listening to classical is to be immersed in it. Then again, part of the reason of why I enjoy classical music so much is it's presentation compared to my experience as a jazz musician.

IMO, no headphones can be good/bad for any genre, just different flavors. Some people like their food spicy, some salty. Decide for yourself.

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #18 of 31
if you like grado sound then you love it at classical. its simple.
sountstage is necessary but doesn't mean most important condition for classical music.

But i have to say it again your amp and source must be perfect. otherwise you can hear sibilance and shrillness like me
frown.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

For what it's worth, I graduated from a classical music conservatory and I'm very pleased with classical on my HF-2.

I was surprised at how much better the HF-2 handled large orchestra pieces as compared to the RS-1. This is probably owing to the somewhat larger soundstage. That said, I still prefer my Senn's for classical, although the RS-1 does handle small ensembles (e.g. string quartets) very well.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are Lucky then, my recording of rock (pink floyd, beatles) are much more better than classical recording.
BTW, I haven't heard grado but DT880 does greatwith this kind of music.

Yes, the Beatles and Pink Floyd have some good recordings. I especially love the DSoTM SACD and there are only three days until the Beatles remasters are released.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm planning to pick them up. But there's also a lot of terrible rock recordings - I can't even listen to a couple of Flaming Lips CDs that I love because they give me a headache. There are many other rock recordings tha are equally bad, but I have yet to find a classical disc that's unlistenable for the same reasons.

For those of you who like the RS-1 with classical, I guess it's a matter of taste. I spent many years playing various clarinets, tuba, tenor sax, and a little bassoon and trombone in various bands and orchestras. Most of that was with the bass clarinet and tuba, so I'm picky about bass. The Grado bass bump throws those two off kilter and I couldn't use them for classical. The pitch never seemed right, while the Grados bumped along with rock just fine.

The K-501 got the bass right. So did the K-1000, HD-600, DT48, K-240DF, and the HD-800. But the Grados never sounded "right" to me for anything but rock, country and guitar-based jazz.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #21 of 31
I love Grados and I love Classical, but not together. Grados can work well for chamber music and small orchestra pieces but don't work well for large orchestra or symphonies for me. The HF-2 seems to be better than the RS-1 for classical.

Can's for Classical that work better for me than Grados are the DT880, AD2000, W5000, K501 and K601. YMMV

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #22 of 31
A Grado is severely handicapped in the realm of orchestral reproduction. There are a myriad of other cans that handle this genre better; especially in the RS-1's price bracket. Don't try to fit a square peg through a round hole.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #23 of 31
my experience with vinatge 1996 rs1's is in line with scooterboy's and lousyreed1's.

having owned hd650's/cardas cable and k1000/equinox concurrently, I did find some recordings shone through their wider staging more than through the RS1's, but if you love the tonal qualities of the Grados they deliver the goods with most classical recordings very beautifully.

As an example, the classic records 45 rpm pressing of the bartok concerto for orchestra(chicago/reiner) never sounds as good to me on any other headphone i've owned (hd650s, hd580's,ed9's,k1000's,akg701's,ps1's,gs1000's). the punch delivered by the rs1's is just perfect for a piece with serious slam as part of its soundscape.

different headphones and different speaker/room combinations offer different flavors just as different sounds emanate from various concert halls and churches.

is the staging size limited in the rs1? sure, but the fact the an akg701 has a hugely wider soundstage does not make it sound better overall than the rs1 for any given type of music. size of soundstage is far from everything.

I've always found that the RS1's remind me of the sound in carnegie hall since the renovation. the timbre within the timber is just so very rich and mellow.

this is not to say that to someone else's ears the complete reverse of all i hear isn't the "truth". which is why grado and sennheiser and everybody else can continue to sell headphones to a single species, and all find an audiance that favors them for any given type of music.

One mans' meat...

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #25 of 31
hd800img.jpg

what hi-fi thinks hd800 beaten by the grados for realism.
yes something is subjective in audioland
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by witness /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd800img.jpg

what hi-fi thinks hd800 beaten by the grados for realism.
yes something is subjective in audioland
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually there is another review in which the Grado Rs-1 also rated better than the HD 800. Also bear in mind that the Grado RS-1 was Stereophile's product of the year for 2 years in a row. On this forum my observation is that there is a love or hate relationship with just about every headphone in existence. When I was searching for headphones, I read on this forum that Grado's were only good for "Rock" music and would sound horrible with Classical and anything else. Well much to my suprise, I found this not to be the case at all. This is sad because I now have to again rely on the Mainstream Audiophile Reviewers and I hate doing that. But I have no other real choice for an informed review. I am also very interested in the HD800. But I have to wait for a credible non biased review. Again only to be had from the mainstream "Rags" Oh well ...... This is why the ultimate test is your ears and I don't know if I totally trust mine.
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something in audioland is a subjective personal preference. Shocker.

What's interesting is that the topic is one of the least subjective that I think you could find in 'audioland'. It's like suggesting that IEM's are better for classical over speakers.

It begs the question; if there are examples of individuals who prefer IEM's over speakers for classical, does that mean that the issue is subjective?

I'm not much of a listener of classical, but if I was, soundstage would be very high on my list of priorities. It's hard to understand how a headphone with limited soundstage would be ideal for the genre.

There are issues like tone and timbre, etc...but these would represent a hierarchy of characteristics that are secondary in importance. Others may value them more highly, but I would also guess that those that like the RS-1 on this basis would like it even more if it retained these qualities, but with an expanded soundstage.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701/2 will do great with classic, or any acoustic music.

x2

Acoustic music is bliss with the K702. The GS1000 is good for classical, but not ideal. Any other Grado is a waste of time with classical for the reason that they color/distort the natural sound of acoustic instruments.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #29 of 31
I would say the lower-end Grados aren't good for classical because of the lack of deep bass, and the treble spikes. However, my SR-60s, which i hated with piano and orchestral (note: out of an mp3 player or headphone out PCDP), sound revelatory after I got *basshead tape-modded* bowls, blu-tak mod, mahogany cups, and removed the grilles altogether; coupled to a Panasonic SL-SW360 lineout and CMoy.

so no-go for stock, but modded: why not? I now like my lowly SR-60 better than HD-580 and dare I say it RS-1. there is transparency (Telarc Severance Hall recordings: amazing!), bass weight, and an approach to neutrality.

it's not freakin' HD-800, but it gets me 90% of the way to the realism i crave. there's just nothing like getting the air sucked out of you by a Mahler tutti with a decent orchestra in a good hall, or a pipe organ, but it's good enough for me.

Damn...if I could just get that HD-800 and a reference source and a tube amp...ahhhh!

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #30 of 31
I own Grado SR-225s and DT-880s, and the DT880s run rings around the Grado for classical. Although the Grado is the superior rock can, i find myself using them less and less as the DT880s more than hold their own in the areas the Grados excel at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back