Grado's and Classical Music?
Mar 7, 2010 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Weekend Warrior

New Head-Fier
So, I just bought the SR60i's since they are great rock phones, no doubt there. Of course though, my musical taste doesn't involve only rock...how are they going to sound with classical music? Just ordered some classical and Jazz CD's from Amazon (seem to be doing that a lot now that I have these phones haha)...Anyways, yeah I am a bit afraid I am going to be completely disappointed with the sound I am going to get. Just wondering what some of your experiences have been in this situation.

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 16
You can do worse, but im afraid the cheaper grados 60-325 do not handle classical very well. As per my research, I would suggest the 325 for classical because its neutral sounding apparently. But, I recently got my 225i which plays classical pretty well.

Mozart and other pieces are always recorded terribly. They are not forward sounding, recording a distance away from the mic. So it sounds very bad. But, OST soundtracks with classical like john williams, something like...ohhh. SUPERMAN or star wars sound pretty good. But thats on my 225i, idk about the sr60i hehe, invest in the 225i i say :p

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 16
You won't be disappointed with classical on the SR60. Enjoy.

The SR60 can do symphonic (full symphony) and chamber music fine. It's with the Grado soundstage, but it's fine. The Grados are actually pretty darn neat with violin and cello sound.

Where the SR60 can fall short is with choral (chior) works because the blobs in the head soundstage of the Grados doesn't accomplish the complete wall of sound that is a chior. Two blobs of sound at your ears doesn't make for a wall of sound. The blobs need to meet in the middle to accomplish that, and the Grados don't (unless you experiment with crossfeed).

Similar with piano. Depending on how the piano is recorded and how much stereo separation there is. Often piano is recorded with low notes on the left and high notes on the right. The problem there is that the two blobs of sound at your ears don't meet in the middle and the soundstage in the middle range of the piano suffers.

Other than that the Grado SR60 are fine and actually fun with classical in a Grado sort of way.

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 16
I personally like Grado SR225/HF-1 with classical but my Denons (D5000) edge them out with a slightly fuller sound of a symphony. But to my ears the Grados beat them in every other category.

You'll find many other threads on this topic with great posts from experienced head-fiers.

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 16
I've never been too happy with classical on Grados. Grados are colored in a way that enhances rock and a few other genres, but I find that it throws off the tonal balance with acoustic music. If you're serious about classical, then you'd probably be better served with a much more neutral pair of headphones.

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 16
You could definately do worse, as has been said. Some even have said that classical does well on the sr225i. Haven't tried it yet.

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 16
You can get by with it if that's all you've got - obviously they will have to do.
wink.gif
But if you hear some classical on some senns or beyers with a good setup you are going to know what you're missing with the grados. Higher end grados might be a different story, RS-1 or 2, etc. So try not to listen to anything else and it might be okay.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get by with it if that's all you've got - obviously they will have to do.
wink.gif
But if you hear some classical on some senns or beyers with a good setup you are going to know what you're missing with the grados. Higher end grados might be a different story, RS-1 or 2, etc. So try not to listen to anything else and it might be okay.
biggrin.gif

The SR325is is sonically VERY similar to the RS2i. I find their similarity to be quite fascinating. I don't consider one to be sonically superior to the other. The SR325is has a more quiet background with more highs. Their detail retrieval is pretty much the same though, thanks to more highs, it's easier to hear details from the SR325is. The RS2i's have a slightly warmer sound, though the bass weight, depth and punch are pretty much identical to the SR325is. So sonically, it's a matter of a slight difference in sound flavour, but a big difference in weight, comfort and appearance.
wink.gif

They make for nice classical cans. I haven't heard an SR60 though.

I suspect the RS1i will add yet another flavouring to the sound.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR325is is sonically VERY similar to the RS2i. I find their similarity to be quite fascinating. I don't consider one to be sonically superior to the other. The SR325is has a more quiet background with more highs. Their detail retrieval is pretty much the same though, thanks to more highs, it's easier to hear details from the SR325is. The RS2i's have a slightly warmer sound, though the bass weight, depth and punch are pretty much identical to the SR325is. So sonically, it's a matter of a slight difference in sound flavour, but a big difference in weight, comfort and appearance.
wink.gif

They make for nice classical cans. I haven't heard an SR60 though.

I suspect the RS1i will add yet another flavouring to the sound.

Interesting - thanks. Based on all I had read, I thought the 325s had the most treble of any grado, more than either RS-1 or 2.

I was debating between RS-1 and 2, but now hearing the RS-2 is similar to the 325i that strongly pushes me toward RS-1, so thanks again for that info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting - thanks. Based on all I had read, I thought the 325s had the most treble of any grado, more than either RS-1 or 2.

I was debating between RS-1 and 2, but now hearing the RS-2 is similar to the 325i that strongly pushes me toward RS-1, so thanks again for that info.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would recommend RS-1 ,RS-2 is not a worthy buy if contemplating going above SR325is, you need to see that its worthwhile.

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 16
As always, it depends on a variety of factors - including the recording. You can't get great performance out of a mediocre track. The only real fault I find with Grados, in doing classical, is the narrow soundstage. For rock music, there's something fun about being up front. For classical, I think the expectation is just the reverse. Lots of classical aficionados prefer to be further back - some 10 or 20 rows. For the high side of that, there's the HD800, but even a used K-701, at around $200, will give you a very pronounced spaciousness, one that classical heads seem to prefer.

But note for note, I can't fault the Grados, which get beat up by the bassheads for not being bassy enough for that club feel. The one area in which Grados get tagged as excessive in their bright presentation, one that favors mids and lower treble - which, oddly enough, is a lot more classical-friendly than their bassier counterparts. Grados present a lot of clarity, with an extra splash of presence between the high mids and lower treble, an area that actually favors acoustic instruments over the heavy siss of metal. On my Grados, I prefer tracks that offer more natural instruments. It's the artificial stuff that fatigues me and offers less clarity.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #15 of 16
I listen to mostly pre-romantic classical, which usually has fewer instruments than the more modern stuff, and after listening to a number of headphones at the most recent NorCal meet (including the 701's), I took a listen to the RS1's and decided that I had to have them (and they should hopefully come in tomorrow).

They were both detailed and engaging, and when listening to opera the soloists jumped right out at me. We shall see if I am happy with them in the long term, but for certain situations, I think they will work great. I didn't listen to them with big orchestras, so I don't know how that will work out, but I have my 271's for that, and who knows, maybe I'll pick up a pair of used 701/2's one of these days as well.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back