Gradoheiser haha, my dilemma....
Jul 29, 2008 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Deadneddz

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD595s. I enjoy them but i want to upgrade.

Since i like the sennheisers the natural course is to upgrade to the 650s but,

I also want to try the grados too, this way i can compare and make a decision on which brand ill spend my big money on.

Could you guys give me a suggestion on a comparable grado to the sennheisers hd595s?

I want to buy it and compare the sounds before i get the flagship models of either company

Im really not interested in anything else right now except the UE11s haha god they are so expensive

Thanks guys

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 17
I would compare the lower models to the 595. I think you will instantly know which you prefer. Aside from the GS1000 (which I have never heard), and maybe the RS2, I doubt (read: IMO) the sound will be an on the fence choice for you - you will either feel ambivalent towards them or fall in love.

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt (read: IMO) the sound will be an on the fence choice for you - you will either feel ambivalent towards them or fall in love.

I concur, I've used Grado for a while and listened to a HD650 at a local meet (excellent way to sample headphones BTW) and it was immediately obvious how I felt about them. I kept listening for a while, but my initial position held- it's very clear whether you'll like them or not.

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 17
I just want a grado comparable to the 595's so i can decide which path i will take: Senns(hd650), or Grado(rs2).

Which grado is best to compare with the 595's?

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 17
How did you settle on the RS2? It is, although not night and day, different than the rest of the Grado line. What I was trying to say was that any Grado that I have heard won't really compare to the 595 other than that they are completely different. What basis do you want to use? Relative position on the brand lineup? Price? Sound?

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 17
I found the 595s very, very different from the HD600s. So much so that if I didn't know otherwise I would expect them to be from different manufacturers.

The 600s sound a lot closer to my SR-60s and SR-80s than the 595s do to my ears. But that said, they're still light years apart in terms of presentation.

To my ears the two lower-end Grados are technically inept (I've never heard anything better in the Grado line-up), but they sound great. I think of it like comparing a rally car to a classic sports car; the rally car will run circles around it when it comes to fiddly little tracks but the latter is still just as good to drive.

I know to me, after hearing the 600s, I'd never spend the money on 595s. Ever.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 17
HD595, HD600/650, and the RS-2 (or any Grado) are completely different headphones. If you like a more laid-back sound for classical and such, Sennheiser. If you like a faster and punchier but slightly less smooth sound for rock, typically, Grado.

And I agree, the HD595's are good headphones, but they're not worth the investment because I've never found any music they're particularly good at, while Sennheiser and Grado clearly have their preferences.

Really, I'd say go with the RS-2 or the HD600's depending on what you want.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #12 of 17
How are HD515? never heard them..

But i think they should be Bright & colored like Grado unlike HD6XX series

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 17
I had the 595's and the 580's at the same time. Sounded nothing alike. You can't really use the 595's as a reference point for the flagship Senns. IMHO the 595's are more of an all-around can (movies, gaming, music). They do all three pretty good. I use mine exclusively for movies late at night. I use Grados or Alessandros for music. Try the SR80's or SR60's first before taking the Grado plunge. Either one will sell easily.

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #14 of 17
grado is up front with the sound and has little soundstage ( or none)

senns are laid back but when powered right - it gets the job done

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD595s. I enjoy them but i want to upgrade.

Since i like the sennheisers the natural course is to upgrade to the 650s but,

I also want to try the grados too, this way i can compare and make a decision on which brand ill spend my big money on.

Could you guys give me a suggestion on a comparable grado to the sennheisers hd595s?

I want to buy it and compare the sounds before i get the flagship models of either company

Im really not interested in anything else right now except the UE11s haha god they are so expensive

Thanks guys

Keep in mind that the sound signature of your HD-595's is quite different than that of HD-650's. It's very possible that you won't find the HD-650's an upgrade at all unless they're coupled with some nice amplification; which gets expensive fast.

Of course, RS-2's and Grado's in general are just as "hit or miss." The HD-595's are often called the Grado of Sennheiser - but even so, the stark differences between brands may strike you as off putting or even painful.

Personally, I'd keep both Grado's and Sennheiser's on your "to audition" list, and then purchase one or the other after you've tried both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back