Gradoesque Phones Under $100?
Sep 10, 2004 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Head Creep

Headphoneus Supremus
I love my Grado SR-60's, but to be blunt, it seems like they were constructed by a blind man with one hand. Just today, while carrying them around, everything started falling off the headband (even the little antenna thing, though the rubber cap's still on). I'd really like to get a sturdier replacement, if there's one comparable for a good price (~$100). Doesn't matter if they're open or closed, as long as they're good for rock.

Sep 10, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 20
hmm. the Koss Portapro is probably going to be your best bet, though they aren't really made much better than the Grados. the Senn HD25-1 is said to be quite comparable to the overall Grado sound, but they are well over $100.

Sep 10, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 20
Stick with your Grado's and baby them. I'm not even a fan of the Grado sound, but no can I've ever heard under $100 has bested them (though, to be fair, I've not heard many cans under $100 considered "of note").

Sep 11, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Sony V600. The greatest phone EVER.

oh my....

i hope you meant the V6 not the V600 lol!!

Sep 11, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Sony V600. The greatest phone EVER.

he's joking. except i dont like the v6 either.

i would say get the portapro. if you want something very energetic and fun bass, check out the ath-fc7.

Sep 11, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Stick with your Grado's and baby them. I'm not even a fan of the Grado sound, but no can I've ever heard under $100 has bested them (though, to be fair, I've not heard many cans under $100 considered "of note").

At this point, I can't even take the things off without something happening. It's becoming a sad joke.

The HD25-1 is very nice, but it'd take awhile to save up money for those. Clip-on phones are ruled out since they don't mix well with my oversized head and ears. I'll look into the others posted here. Thanks for all the posts. And about the V600, there's a good idea...
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 20
I was joking. But I've never tried the V600, so you never know . . .
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 20
might want to send the grado back? possibly a very defective model. considering the sr-60 is their mainstream model.. they probably skimped on QC.

models like the MS-2..they dont even have 11 of them in stock... rofl.

Sep 11, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #14 of 20
I think I might try my hand at modding the hell out of these things. If I can find a good headband, I might be able to resurrect the antenna-box-thingamajig and save some money. After thinking about it, the whole new-headphones-now thoughts that were going through my head were more than a bit rushed. Probably time for some cable and probably headbang modding...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I think I might try my hand at modding the hell out of these things. If I can find a good headband, I might be able to resurrect the antenna-box-thingamajig and save some money. After thinking about it, the whole new-headphones-now thoughts that were going through my head were more than a bit rushed. Probably time for some cable and probably headbang modding...
very_evil_smiley.gif

uh, warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back