Grado?
Feb 3, 2004 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Knocturnal

100+ Head-Fier
What has happened to the glory of the grados? I have been away from this forum for a few months and have noticed that grados arent being talked about too much. When I left, the SR200s and RS-1s were very popular. I have SR225s and cant complain at all about them except maybe a little comfort. I would also like to mention that I have notice a lot of growth in this forum, more people, and the answers you get are more informative. Im going to buy some E3Cs because it appears those are getting good reviews and will do the job my Etys couldnt. Well anyways thats it for now just wanted to post my observations.

Feb 3, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 38
I have noticed more and more Grados in people's sigs, although the Grado talk has died down a little here. I'm sure it will pick up again as soon as Grados become flavor of the month again
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 38
Yeah, Grado has stepped out of the picture a bit, maby it's becaue all the talk around Senn's new HD650's wich have been quite a large success for Sennheiser. Thats what I think, and it's about time I think there is a change of subject in the posts here. But still, its as Dono said, I've noticed more grado owners too but the talk has been kind of tuned down.

Feb 3, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 38
Another possible reason: it's gotten much more difficult for European Head-Fiers to buy Grados, ever since Grado turned the screws and prevented Headroom and others from shipping to Europe. I think a lot of European Head-Fiers realize they're being ripped off by their local distributors, being charged 300% as much as they could buy them from Headroom, and that's turning them away from Grados. I don't blame them.

Feb 3, 2004 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 38
Maybe it's because a lot of new headphones have come out in the past year or so (HD650, DT880, K271, PX100, HD497) and Grado hasn't made any design changes for a long time so they look a little less attractive by comparison.

Feb 3, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 38
I just think people like change. There are not enough europeans on this board to make such a difference.

However, the grado are still making quite a few of the rec's in here.

Feb 3, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 38
I don't think everyone has suddenly changed their mind about Grado's headphones, but they haven't released new product like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, and Shure have recently. (edit: apart from those hyper-expensive, limited edition jobbies.)

Personally, I'm loving my SR-60s and SR-225s to death, and am in the process of buying vwap's SR-100s!
rs1smile.gif

Feb 3, 2004 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 38
The main reason might be that Grado Labs do not come up with new products: all details about the entire Grado line has been already reported and time by time come back in the cycles (like weather). The mysterious PS-1's are the only exception, there isn't any detailed review of it yet. Hopefully Nik would do it after he receive them.

Current Grado distributor issue might cause slightly negative impact to Grado mania here in the upcoming years.

However I definitely believe that Grado products are gonna be discussed again in the near future after a new design approach will be presented here.
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Tyll Hertsens
Maybe it's because a lot of new headphones have come out in the past year or so (HD650, DT880, K271, PX100, HD497) and Grado hasn't made any design changes for a long time so they look a little less attractive by comparison.

New doesn't always = improved.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 3, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 38
The hype around Grado has faded, and those who used it realized that much better quality can be found with other headphones in much lower prices... I'm one of those.

Grado's idiotic shipping policy enforcement, which has made Grados the most over-priced headphones outside of US (in Canada Sr60 is CDN$130 + 15% Tax) is another reason for that.

...And the fact that the narrow soundstage, colored sound, and in your face presentation of Grado is not to many people's liking--not to forget their flimsy build, and horrible comfort factor.

Grado, should invest on research and development and come up with a new headphone design, instead of packaging the same drivers with little tweaks to all their headphones.

Feb 3, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by GlowWorm
New doesn't always = improved.
rolleyes.gif

Is this probably what John Grado is worrying about?
confused.gif

Feb 3, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by wali
Grado, should invest on research and development and come up with a new headphone design, instead of packaging the same drivers with little tweaks to all their headphones.

I agree with the first part of the sentence, but do you think that the use of wooden or aluminium chambers instead of plastic and UHPLC copper in voice-coils and connecting cables are "little tweaks" only? I don't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back