Grado wood makers & sellers thread
Oct 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #47 of 53
Got word from them this morning. They are based in Europe...pricing is as follows:

Aluminum cups complete with premounted wood sleeves are 155 euros shipped

Aluminum cups without wood sleeves are 110 euros shipped

Full aluminum cups are 120 euros shipped, please note that in this case you must specify mounting diameter of the driver, fully liberated (naked) Grado drivers are ~44mm and with the protective screen on are ~46mm

Prices cover global shipping with tracking.

I spoke with Chris and he was most helpful and quick to respond...

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #48 of 53
Anyone compared hard-gluing the driver into place versus friction-fitting them with tape/weather stripping? Any appreciable difference in sound? Also, is the consensus that the driver should be mounted flush with the end of the cup? 

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #50 of 53
Anyone compared hard-gluing the driver into place versus friction-fitting them with tape/weather stripping? Any appreciable difference in sound? Also, is the consensus that the driver should be mounted flush with the end of the cup? 

Opinions vary...I like weather stripping, 7Keys does a friction fit...some say the foam isolates the driver from the wood's resonant qualities, and that can be a bad or a good thing, depending on what drivers you use and what woods you are using...glue is usually avoided as it means you will likely need to break the cup to liberate the driver again later for another project.

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #51 of 53

Thanks, fleasbaby. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #52 of 53

Thanks, fleasbaby. 

No worries...personally, I use foam stripping. I have a pair of Magnum X in Korina sleeves and Grado SR325is aluminium shells, and a pair of SR80 pinks in African Blackwood cups...both do very well as configured in my humble opinion.

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #53 of 53
Myexperience jives with fleasbaby. The only thing I could add is the use of a few dabs of hot melt glue. It's enough to hold a driver into the cup but still easy to get out. And the glue semi hardens so it still doesn't kill all energy transfer to the cup the way a full round treatment of soft foam does.

Whether you want it flush or not is up to you. The benefit of pushing it in the cup a few mm is that if you use bowl pads, the driver will then not touch and irritate your ears as can a flush mounted driver. The tone and spatial qualities will change a bit but whether that's a + or - depends on the overall driver and cup build and personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back