Grado Woes (looking for something more comfortable)
Apr 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #32 of 36
Can't speak to this either way, but if this is true (no reason to say it isn't) - that's great news!
Quote:
Actually, V-Moda M-80s are very Grado-like but 700x more comfortable.
Also, sock mod for L-cushions isn't bad.

I really don't know what they do - you could ask, it just strikes me as, I don't even know how to put it in words...rude? uncouth? 

Basically I would not go into a shop, RS1 in hand, say "I want to return these, they work fine, I just don't like them...BY THE WAY, what do you do with them?" 

As far as the Grado sound - it's the combination of the resonance, sound-stage, and FR that they all (roughly) share. Aside from the PS series (this is all based on measurements), Grado headphones generally all look similar when FR is plotted. They also tend to have similar ridges in their midrange and treble when plotted. The higher end models get more refined and more extended, but I don't feel like the value continues beyond the SR-225. To illustrate this: the SR-60 (or SR-80) is one of the best headphones in general, let alone for a ~$100 price-tag (I've tried a couple of sub $200 cans over the last few years, they all have some major fatal flaw). The SR-225 is about double that, and can very easily sit at the table with much more expensive parts; like the HD 600. However I don't feel like spending five times more than that, for the GS-1000, is as large of a jump. No, I'm not saying it even needs to be five times better. But at least "dramatically better" - you know? Especially when, for that same thousand dollars, you can get an ESP/950 or a couple different varieties of STAX. Or, if that's not your thing, there's orthos or the more exotic woodies (AT, JVC, etc). 

That said, like I said before, if Grado loving is your affliction, the GS-1000 is the cure. It's comfortable, and it's still a Grado. It will also give a lot of it's peers a legitimate run for their money. 

Quote:
Ah... if they have to ship them back as defective then I would feel guilty since I am kinda screwing with the main company and wasting their perfectly functional products.

Also, I haven't listened to many headphones critically and the ones I have listened to are all extremely different (IEMs, bass heavy headphones or Senns). What is the Grado sound? Do they actually carry over to all the different Grados like the SR, RS, GS, PS and so on? I never understood what people meant exactly by a Grado sound since I've only ever owned one pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back