Grado Woes (looking for something more comfortable)
Apr 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #17 of 36
Yeah I tried the comfies, bowls, 414's, and washed them all 3 times with shampoo and conditioner.

Actually made it worse in my opinion.

The headband is no trouble for me. The foam just destroys my ears.

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #18 of 36
If you love the Grado sound but can't stand the comfort, the GS-1000 is the only cure I'm aware of...
gs1000.gif

The Beyers will probably do you well though; they're comfy and generally quite bright. They won't sound like a Grado though. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #19 of 36

Quote:
If you love the Grado sound but can't stand the comfort, the GS-1000 is the only cure I'm aware of...
gs1000.gif

The Beyers will probably do you well though; they're comfy and generally quite bright. They won't sound like a Grado though. 

GS1000i is comfortable? Looks like it has the same materials for its cups though. Also, do they sound just like a better version of the RS1i? (More bass and bass impact, deeper bass, larger soundstage?) Considering upgrading if it has those things + is actually comfortable :D

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #20 of 36
The PRO series of ultrasone, specially the Pro900 may suit you well. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #21 of 36
It's got much bigger cups (and is designed for them), and sits circumaural. Never heard the RS series oddly, so I couldn't tell you. It's much better than the SR-225 and SR-325 though (in all of the ways you described and more). The difference in sound-staging does set them apart though; on-ears have a very unique presentation that I've yet to find a circumaural able to replicate. Everything I've read counter-indicates putting the GS pads on the SR/RS cans (it's supposed to wreck them) - there's a "space" that the GS-1000 integrate for those big cups. But you could try the pads for their purchase price of ~$60 vs the cans for ~$995 - would at least give you an idea of fit. 

For the money, I'd pick something else (and did), but if you're married to the Grado sound, the GS-1000 is likely it. I've not heard the PS-1000, but I've read polarizing things; they're supposed to be quite heavy as well (I don't recall the GS-1000 seeming heavy at all). They might be better still, or it might not be worth the extra $700. You'd really have to ask an owner of both on that one. The GS and PS seem to have fallen from popularity in recent years though. 

Quote:

GS1000i is comfortable? Looks like it has the same materials for its cups though. Also, do they sound just like a better version of the RS1i? (More bass and bass impact, deeper bass, larger soundstage?) Considering upgrading if it has those things + is actually comfortable :D

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #24 of 36

Quote:

but it makes my luscious locks even more luscious!

... oh nevermind, i have a buzzcut.

OT, but so do I and I use conditioner :)

BUT, seriously... If you don't ever use the stuff on your head, you really might be allergic to it man. Could be why the foam pads "tear your ears up" because, I don't understand how you could feel like that.

Also, a pro tip, but when I use bowls, I don't let the driver hit my ear, I set the back side of the bowl on the cartilage. My ear never touches the driver, I find that uncomfortable too :)

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #25 of 36
Well my local shop has a return policy so maybe I will just give it a try and decide for myself. I really have reservations about buying $60 cups to increase the sound stage
biggrin.gif
 I just feel bad about returning things that I've used. What do they do with those returns anyways? Rebox it? I guess that wouldn't be much work considering my RS1i came in the cheapest looking pizza box I've ever seen...
Quote:
It's got much bigger cups (and is designed for them), and sits circumaural. Never heard the RS series oddly, so I couldn't tell you. It's much better than the SR-225 and SR-325 though (in all of the ways you described and more). The difference in sound-staging does set them apart though; on-ears have a very unique presentation that I've yet to find a circumaural able to replicate. Everything I've read counter-indicates putting the GS pads on the SR/RS cans (it's supposed to wreck them) - there's a "space" that the GS-1000 integrate for those big cups. But you could try the pads for their purchase price of ~$60 vs the cans for ~$995 - would at least give you an idea of fit. 

For the money, I'd pick something else (and did), but if you're married to the Grado sound, the GS-1000 is likely it. I've not heard the PS-1000, but I've read polarizing things; they're supposed to be quite heavy as well (I don't recall the GS-1000 seeming heavy at all). They might be better still, or it might not be worth the extra $700. You'd really have to ask an owner of both on that one. The GS and PS seem to have fallen from popularity in recent years though. 

I really wanted an Ultrasone for the megabass but didn't really here that it was anything like Grados in any other area.

Quote:
The PRO series of ultrasone, specially the Pro900 may suit you well. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #26 of 36
Nothing is really "Grado like" in any regard excepting a Grado. You could make a few arguments that "stretch" the term, like ESW9's having a similar-ish fit and soundstage, due to being on-ear. But they're also closed, have a rolled off top-end, and so on. The F1s have a purdy midrange, but their soundstage is about a thousand times bigger, and they probably have less bass. Etc.

The GS-1000 is different than other Grados due to being circumaural and all that, it fits differently, and it sounds different. It's still a Grado though. 

Regarding the returns - afaik they can either sell them as open box, or ship them back to the manu as defective (I've only ever returned a pair of working headphones once, and I really didn't want to ask what they intended to do with them 
redface.gif
- everything else is defective, and those go back to the manu or distributor afaik because the retailer doesn't want to eat the price either). 

Ultrasones are an ENTIRELY different animal, both wrt Grado and wrt the rest of the known universe. They fit, sound, and stage differently than basically any other headphone made. And my feeling is you either love them or hate them; while I'm one of the people that S-Logic actually seems to "work" for, I also seem to hate the general Ultrasone sound signature...pity. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #27 of 36
Actually, V-Moda M-80s are very Grado-like but 700x more comfortable.

Also, sock mod for L-cushions isn't bad.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #28 of 36
Ah... if they have to ship them back as defective then I would feel guilty since I am kinda screwing with the main company and wasting their perfectly functional products.

Also, I haven't listened to many headphones critically and the ones I have listened to are all extremely different (IEMs, bass heavy headphones or Senns). What is the Grado sound? Do they actually carry over to all the different Grados like the SR, RS, GS, PS and so on? I never understood what people meant exactly by a Grado sound since I've only ever owned one pair.
Quote:
Nothing is really "Grado like" in any regard excepting a Grado. You could make a few arguments that "stretch" the term, like ESW9's having a similar-ish fit and soundstage, due to being on-ear. But they're also closed, have a rolled off top-end, and so on. The F1s have a purdy midrange, but their soundstage is about a thousand times bigger, and they probably have less bass. Etc.

The GS-1000 is different than other Grados due to being circumaural and all that, it fits differently, and it sounds different. It's still a Grado though. 

Regarding the returns - afaik they can either sell them as open box, or ship them back to the manu as defective (I've only ever returned a pair of working headphones once, and I really didn't want to ask what they intended to do with them 
redface.gif
- everything else is defective, and those go back to the manu or distributor afaik because the retailer doesn't want to eat the price either). 

Ultrasones are an ENTIRELY different animal, both wrt Grado and wrt the rest of the known universe. They fit, sound, and stage differently than basically any other headphone made. And my feeling is you either love them or hate them; while I'm one of the people that S-Logic actually seems to "work" for, I also seem to hate the general Ultrasone sound signature...pity. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #29 of 36

Quote:

OT, but so do I and I use conditioner :)

BUT, seriously... If you don't ever use the stuff on your head, you really might be allergic to it man. Could be why the foam pads "tear your ears up" because, I don't understand how you could feel like that.

Also, a pro tip, but when I use bowls, I don't let the driver hit my ear, I set the back side of the bowl on the cartilage. My ear never touches the driver, I find that uncomfortable too :)

Haha nah I use conditioner all the time. Not allergic to it. Something about foam just rips apart my ears. Like.. intense burning. Even before I washed 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back