Grado Wireless Series
Oct 9, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #31 of 163
Interesting....who advised on the driver?

http://majorhifi.com/grado-gw100-review/

Quote.....

Depsite my love for Grado, the controls on the left earcup feel a little cheap. Granted, Grado has managed to cram an SR225e driver AND Bluetooth innards into that earcup, but it still feels like cheap plastic. Can I live with it? Yes. Should I really be complaining? No. But others may not be expecting chintzy controls. And I want to be on the level with all my headphone homies out there.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #33 of 163
Where did you order them from? I'd love a pair myself.

4ourears the Grado email linked to them. So must be official US distributor. I have a Stackry address in the US and have stuff forwarded to the UK.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #34 of 163

Quote.....

Depsite my love for Grado, the controls on the left earcup feel a little cheap. Granted, Grado has managed to cram an SR225e driver AND Bluetooth innards into that earcup, but it still feels like cheap plastic. Can I live with it? Yes. Should I really be complaining? No. But others may not be expecting chintzy controls. And I want to be on the level with all my headphone homies out there.

Thanks for that! Interesting...the SR225x driver has always been a favorite for price/performance for me. It responds well to mods as well.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #35 of 163

Quote.....

Thanks for that link; that seems to be the first really solid, written review of the GW100.

I'm curious as to how the reviewer concluded that they are SR225e drivers, i.e., was it conjecture or did Grado tell him that, in fact? I'm already sold on them, either way!

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #36 of 163
I received my GW100's before I left for work today and I plugged them in to charge.

When I got home I hooked them up to bluetooth, which was easy and straight forward.

I immediately replaced the type S, SR60-type pads with the type L found on the SR225 and SR325. That made them much more comfortable. I have to wonder why they put the pads they did on them. When I tried the type G on them, which are the type I use on my 325's, they really felt unbalanced and bulky. Funny that I don't feel that way about those big pads on my 325's. It might be because the 325's have heavier aluminum housings,

I'm not very technical or much of an audiophile, but here are my first impressions:

I'm very happy with them all around. Nice and light. Good fit and finish. Very warm sounding.

Compared to my SR325is, the GW100 have LOT'S more bass. A surprising amount of bass. Since I usually listen to the SR325's, you know I'm not used to that

At first I thought I might describe them as boomy, but I guess they are actually pretty well balanced in the bass department. If you like bass, you won't be disappointed. There is even some "hit" in the bass. In the 325's, the bass is there, but it's not concussive.

The soundstage doesn't sound as wide as my 325's, and I get a little better separation of individual instruments and voices in the 325's.

Someone here said they have SR225 drivers in them. I wish I owned a pair to compare.

Bottom line is the sound is great and detailed though not as detailed as in the SR325, but the bass is much better.

It was great to walk around the house with my phone in my pocket. With the GW100, I feel connected to what is going on around me. When I do the same thing with my Sennheiser HD 4.50, (bluetooth and noise canceling), I feel disconnected from what is going on around, me, which, I guess is what you want noise canceling headphones for, but around the house I don't need that.

Sound in the GW100 is much better than in the Senns, though the Senns are no slouch in that department.

One thing I am concerned about is that occasionally, they cut out while still in close proximity to my phone. With the Senns, I can walk around the room, and as long as I'm in the same room as the phone, they stay connected. By contrast, sometimes, not always, the GW100's loose the signal very easily. They start to cut out within 6 feet of my phone. I have my phone in my shirt pocket right now and if I turn my head to the left and place my chin in line with the phone, I can make the GW100 cut out. The bluetooth connection to my pc seems much better though. I might have to ask Grado about that. It doesn't happen all the time. I disconnected it just now and reconnected and it seems to have a better connection, or something.

Anyway, there's some of my first day thoughts. I'm sure other new owners can describe them far more thoroughly than I can. I really like them.

Walt

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #37 of 163
Couple of images.
IMG_20181012_141732.jpg
IMG_20181012_141800.jpg

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #38 of 163
Thanks for the close-up pics, @Carlosfandango .... the look is very utilitarian but I must say it looks better in these close ups than in some of the other pics I've seen floating around on the interwebz. Is that protective grill a very thin metal or is it plastic, can you tell?

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #39 of 163
Thanks for the close-up pics, @Carlosfandango .... the look is very utilitarian but I must say it looks better in these close ups than in some of the other pics I've seen floating around on the interwebz. Is that protective grill a very thin metal or is it plastic, can you tell?

Ho trellus, the grill is metal.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #40 of 163
I ordered a pair, got told they wouldn't be in stock til November but the Grado UK website says they are available to order now. If they are actually in stock I'll give my impressions and some pics when they arrive.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #41 of 163
Some more .

IMG_20181012_164344.jpg
IMG_20181012_164317.jpg
IMG_20181012_164327.jpg

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #42 of 163
Hi, does anyone know if these support AAC? Marketing materials only list AptX. I'd like to buy these but as an iPhone user AAC Codec is a must. Thanks.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #44 of 163
Well... Much to my amazement somehow I received a Grado 450cm extension cable from Grado.co.uk instead of the GW100 headphones I ordered. Not sure a £199.99 extension cable was what I had in mind.

Edit: all's well that ends well, they are shipping the headphones out today and I can keep the cable. Nice!

Double edit: Well, it seems as though some magical force up in the sky does not want me to have these headphones. Just got a message from DPD saying they couldn't find my address despite the delivery driver being over a mile away from my house and not even attempting to find it. This is becoming a saga!

Attachments

• GRADOWTF.jpg
    GRADOWTF.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back