Grado Wireless Series
Dec 21, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #106 of 163
What cable would you recommend?
Also, I was thinking of getting a mojo dac for wires days. Anyone have any experience using this headphone in wired mode with a DAC? Thanks.
I am not too much of a cable guy. A couple of years ago, I bought this Sony cable (MUC S12SM1) for my MDR1As. Don't know if it still available, but it is very good with for example the GW100. But I guess you'll hear the improvement rel. to BT with any cable...

10015117.jpeg

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #109 of 163
...so I finally caved and got a pair of these. I had too many requests to woody a pair not to. I haven't modded a pair yet, but once I've had some fun with these I'll likely give it a go. I'll post pics when I do.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #113 of 163
So after a small hiccup, I am back up and running with my pair of GW100. The power button on my first pair failed, but they kindly replaced the entire headphone for me. I did notice a slight difference in packaging, and was interested to note:

1. These are now USB C, not micro-SD.
2. The Bluetooth range seems much improved. I am able to walk about the house without my phone without missing a beat.
3. The appear to have altered the firmware as well...startup and shutdown has a little celebratory note.

Will spend more time over the next week or two before considering modification/update/woodying options....

Mar 12, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #114 of 163
More comprehensive notes:
  • The naming is reminiscent of the old SR100. Like the SR100 it is the birth of a departure from traditional form for Grado, and an entry into a new market segment I guess.
  • The construction deviates quite a bit from the Grado norm.
    • For the cups:
      • The logo is brand new
      • The writing on the outside of the cup is screen-printed on, not raised lettering as in the SR series
      • Grills are the same plastic as the lower-end SR headphones.
      • The drivers sit in a shallower sleeve
      • The sleeve is fastened to the body using hex screws
      • The left outer cup incorporates the USB C (early versions used micro-USB, website also still states micro-USB), power and volume buttons and the cable jack for wired operation.
      • Supplied pads are a variant of the S-Cush
        • The cup body is wider than the Grado standard, so the pads are cut with a wider opening for mounting.
    • On the headband:
      • There is a fully attached pleather cushion, much less utilitarian than the SR series, not as "bespoke" as the padded leather of the RS/GS/PS series
      • The rodblocks are an "L" shape instead of the usual rectangle.
      • The rods aren't fully circluar, they are semi-circles. This stops the cups from swivelling all the way around
      • The gimbals:
        • Only cover 180 degrees, not 270 degrees of the cup circumference.
        • Are attached to the cup with a metal "stud".
        • Have an odd little mechanism inside where the rods connect to them that restricts swivelling the full 360 degrees.
      • The wire connecting the left and right side is very thin, supple and flat, unlike most Grado cables which are fat and unwieldy.
    • Inside the cups:
      • The drivers:
        • Are about 42 mm wide
        • 32 ohm impedance
        • Look like any other Grado driver
        • But appear to be able to operate in a closed cup.
          • This is a drastic departure for Grado
      • The bluetooth unit occupies the left cup.
        • Is bluetooth 5.0
      • The 850 mAH battery occupies the right.
        • Stated battery life is 40 hours
    • Accessories:
      • The supplied cable is thin and supple, unlike most Grado cables.
      • No wall plug supplied, just a USB C cable (micro-USB if you're buying an earlier version)
      • No 1/4 inch adapter
    • Sound:
      • I'll leave the subjective analyses to individuals, but my experience is that these are darker, and bassier, than a stock Grado. They still aren't deep bass monsters, they aren't exactly a DT770, but they aren't as bright as regular Grados. I guess this is a result of the driver variant used, that is able to handle closed cups.

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #115 of 163
More comprehensive notes:
  • The naming is reminiscent of the old SR100. Like the SR100 it is the birth of a departure from traditional form for Grado, and an entry into a new market segment I guess.
  • The construction deviates quite a bit from the Grado norm.
    • For the cups:
      • The logo is brand new
      • The writing on the outside of the cup is screen-printed on, not raised lettering as in the SR series
      • Grills are the same plastic as the lower-end SR headphones.
      • The drivers sit in a shallower sleeve
      • The sleeve is fastened to the body using hex screws
      • The left outer cup incorporates the USB C (early versions used micro-USB, website also still states micro-USB), power and volume buttons and the cable jack for wired operation.
      • Supplied pads are a variant of the S-Cush
        • The cup body is wider than the Grado standard, so the pads are cut with a wider opening for mounting.
    • On the headband:
      • There is a fully attached pleather cushion, much less utilitarian than the SR series, not as "bespoke" as the padded leather of the RS/GS/PS series
      • The rodblocks are an "L" shape instead of the usual rectangle.
      • The rods aren't fully circluar, they are semi-circles. This stops the cups from swivelling all the way around
      • The gimbals:
        • Only cover 180 degrees, not 270 degrees of the cup circumference.
        • Are attached to the cup with a metal "stud".
        • Have an odd little mechanism inside where the rods connect to them that restricts swivelling the full 360 degrees.
      • The wire connecting the left and right side is very thin, supple and flat, unlike most Grado cables which are fat and unwieldy.
    • Inside the cups:
      • The drivers:
        • Are about 42 mm wide
        • 32 ohm impedance
        • Look like any other Grado driver
        • But appear to be able to operate in a closed cup.
          • This is a drastic departure for Grado
      • The bluetooth unit occupies the left cup.
        • Is bluetooth 5.0
      • The 850 mAH battery occupies the right.
        • Stated battery life is 40 hours
    • Accessories:
      • The supplied cable is thin and supple, unlike most Grado cables.
      • No wall plug supplied, just a USB C cable (micro-USB if you're buying an earlier version)
      • No 1/4 inch adapter
    • Sound:
      • I'll leave the subjective analyses to individuals, but my experience is that these are darker, and bassier, than a stock Grado. They still aren't deep bass monsters, they aren't exactly a DT770, but they aren't as bright as regular Grados. I guess this is a result of the driver variant used, that is able to handle closed cups.
Many Thanks. Interesting update. The first edition which I have, has BT 4.2, mini USB and a 15 h battery life. Wonder whether there has been any modification as regards SQ. It is apparently this new version, that is reviewed in headphones https://www.headfonia.com/grado-gw100-review/....

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #117 of 163
Apr 21, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #119 of 163
Great. I guess the only sure way is to order directly from Grado. I plan to do this at the end of this month. It seems most other stores still sell the older version.

Lastly, how's the volume level? I don't need them very loud, but I'm not a low volume listener. Many BT headphones/earphones I've tried with my LG G8, the volume is maxed on both and at times sounded not loud enough and restrained.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #120 of 163
Great. I guess the only sure way is to order directly from Grado. I plan to do this at the end of this month. It seems most other stores still sell the older version.

Lastly, how's the volume level? I don't need them very loud, but I'm not a low volume listener. Many BT headphones/earphones I've tried with my LG G8, the volume is maxed on both and at times sounded not loud enough and restrained.

I use mine with an LG V30. No issues with volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back