Grado vs Sennheiser [Help needed]
Nov 17, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #31 of 78
i wouldnt class the hd555 as a neutral phone, they have to much accent on a spatial forward, slightly digital sound imho, great for games and movies mind

i dont know if you have ever considered the Pioneer SE-A1000 - am not sure if the budget fits there

also, amping will benefit the grados more than the sens you reference imho

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #32 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wouldnt class the hd555 as a neutral phone, they have to much accent on a spatial forward, slightly digital sound imho, great for games and movies mind

i dont know if you have ever considered the Pioneer SE-A1000 - am not sure if the budget fits there

also, amping will benefit the grados more than the sens you reference imho

The more important use will be music listening.

I saw a guy with one of those at the metro the other day. I could hear the music from 10m away.
ph34r.gif

I've read the opposite. :S

Thank you for the help.

Anyone else on the Fiio amp?

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #33 of 78
Grado embarrasses Sennheiser. If Grado would take cues from Senn's designs they'd be perfect.

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #34 of 78
well, i am a fan of both, i hardly think the sen hd600, hd800 and the he60, he90 are embarrased by other grados, that suggests a trouncing rather than a different sound signature, which wouldnt be embarrasing. its good that there are the different sounds to choose from.

@pudim, the fiio is fine for really casual listening and nonchalant amping, thats about it, it will make less impact on full size cans than on IEMS - a bass/gain boost button if you will.

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #35 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by tribestros /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado embarrasses Sennheiser. If Grado would take cues from Senn's designs they'd be perfect.

What are you trying to say? Do you mean that the only place where Sennheiser shines is in the aesthetic design department? I'm sure I'm a minority, but I love the style of Grados, especially the non-"i" versions.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #36 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you trying to say? Do you mean that the only place where Sennheiser shines is in the aesthetic design department? I'm sure I'm a minority, but I love the style of Grados, especially the non-"i" versions.

I think he means that sennheisers have more of a comfort factor than the grados.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #37 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by pudim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen at low volume levels

wait until you get a set of Grados, you'll be cranking them up in no time

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #38 of 78
Number ONE : The Grado
smily_headphones1.gif

I have sold my 4 weeks old HD600, don't like the sound, comfort (glass wearer)is very bad.
Comfort with the Grado's is very good

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #39 of 78
If you want to buy grado's I'd say try to listen to a pair before you buy.
Many people truly dislike the grado sound sig, and they are know to have a bad quality control policy. The other problem about grado is their international policy. Buying grados in europe is a VERY bad deal. Alessandros are much better priced and the lowest model is quite superior to the 60 or 80 from grado.

I never tried the hd555 but most people that like the senn sound say its a nice can if you mod it a bit, and its definitely more comfy than grados. I have the hd580 and I find it better than all the grados I tried (up to 325) when used with a good amp. The hd555 will most likely get better when you buy an amp.
Someone adviced you to get a dac, I second that. A decent dac or dac/amp makes a big difference with any headphone you buy.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #40 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait until you get a set of Grados, you'll be cranking them up in no time

Haha, I hope not.

Well, I'm going with the Alessandro's. They seem pretty good for the price and I got curious about Grado's.

If I find them unconfortable, can I get a pair of bowls like these ones? They seem very comfy.

_TORYFON.JPG

From what you've been saying, a portable amp is not worth for this headphones. I don't want to buy an expensive amp right now, so I think I'll just stick with the MS-1 for now.

I won't be able to try them before I buy them, but, since I have no experience with full-size headphones, I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Thanks a lot for all the help.
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #42 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pudim, I suggest you go for Grado SR60,
it will rock your laptop,
and your wallet, too.

Time is gold, buy now.

It's funny, but the MS1i will cost me only ~5€ more thant the SR60 would. Including the cost of importation.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #43 of 78
Then it looks as if your decision has been made easy for you! Enjoy the MS-1i's.
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #44 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then it looks as if your decision has been made easy for you! Enjoy the MS-1i's.
wink.gif

It has indeed. I never bought anything from outside of the EU, so I hadn't thought about the importation cost. It's 20% IVA (our VAT) + another tax, but it's still considerably cheaper than the SR80 and very close to the SR60.

I'll say something when I get them, if I don't change my mind.
o2smile.gif

Thank you very much for all the help.

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #45 of 78
And top it off, MS-1i's are made with SR-125i drivers, so they generally sound appreciably better than the SR-60/80's. Many have said that they are even better than the much more expensive SR-125i's. (I actually even liked my SR-225's less than the MS-1i's, but that came down to personal preference.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back