Grado vs Sennheiser [Help needed]
Nov 15, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 78
Alessandros are the same as their respective models (MS1, MS2, and MS Pro to SR125, SR325, and RS1 respectively), but supposedly less harsh in the trebles.

And I don't remember Grado prices offhand, sorry.

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #17 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alessandros are the same as their respective models (MS1, MS2, and MS Pro to SR125, SR325, and RS1 respectively), but supposedly less harsh in the trebles.

And I don't remember Grado prices offhand, sorry.

Hum, the price difference is huge. I suppose that's good since I won't listen to a lot of rock.

No problem, I'll google a bit.

Thankyou.
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #18 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by pudim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hum, the price difference is huge. I suppose that's good since I won't listen to a lot of rock.

No problem, I'll google a bit.

Thankyou.
wink.gif

You're welcome, it's good to know that I'm able to help out people.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 78
Ok, one more thing, hope someone can help me:

From what i read in this forum, I noticed that, in general, the more expensive the headphones are, the more they need an amp.

Do the Alessandro's MS-1 need an amp?

They'll cost me less than SR-60's here in Portugal and I'm curious about Grado's so I think I'll go for them, but I would like to know about this. I'll run them directly from my laptop.

Thank you.
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #20 of 78
Yes. If you want a decent amp for them thats inexpensive you could take a look at a cmoy amp on ebay or on the For Sale forums here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #21 of 78
Ya... go for the MS1i. For that price, it is a no brainer. They are considered some of the best headphones for the price. The are a little more relaxed than the SR60 but have nice clarity without being overwhelming.

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #22 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by pudim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the Alessandro's MS-1 need an amp?

It's not strictly necessary, as Grados are known for how easy it is to drive them.

However, to get the most out of it, yes, you should amp it.
[I suggest the FiiO E5 - it's cheap ($22 + S&H) and should satisfy your needs]

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #23 of 78
Even if many Head-Fi'ers says Grado is best for you, you maybe like for example Sennheiser HD650 more.... When I asked witch headphone were best of Sennheiser HD650 and Grado 325is/RS2, most of the people answered the Grados... But when I bought them I didn't like the sound.... Too harsh for me, so I bought Sennheiser HD650 instead and I love them
smile_phones.gif
If you can, the best option is to test both of the headphones....

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #25 of 78
Thank you very much for helping me.

I'm going with Alessandro's MS-1i. I've been reading about them and they seem a nice bang for the buck.

Now some of you say I should get an amp, others say it's not needed so I'm confused. I saw a FiiO E5 at Ebay, it costs about 13€ including shipping. I'm willing to buy it if it's worth it.

It's for home use (laptop). Will it make such a big difference? Should I just forget about amping?

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #26 of 78
Amping with a decent unit will improve the sound somewhat, but I don't expect that a little FiiO will make a tremendous difference. (If you stick around here long enough, though, you'll see that people still make a big deal about subtle differences, and chase minor tweaks around until their wallets collapse upon themselves.) If you were to get a DAC for you laptop... then you're really getting somewhere.

Good job on scoring a pair of MS-1i's. Great 'phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #27 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amping with a decent unit will improve the sound somewhat, but I don't expect that a little FiiO will make a tremendous difference. (If you stick around here long enough, though, you'll see that people still make a big deal about subtle differences, and chase minor tweaks around until their wallets collapse upon themselves.) If you were to get a DAC for you laptop... then you're really getting somewhere.

Good job on scoring a pair of MS-1i's. Great 'phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the opinion. I don't want to spend a lot of money now. They're my first cans, I'll probably like them with or without an amp.

Anyone else?

Btw, the MS-1i version is not referred as having a 1/8" plug. Does that mean it has a 1/4" one?

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #28 of 78
My thoughts on amping Grados/Alessandros:

Amping Grados help give it a bit more bass and less distortion at higher volume levels but it's far from being a game changer. I listen to my Grados through my iPod sometimes and they still sound good (but not superb).

Overall, they're a very safe headphone to listen to without an amp.

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #29 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My thoughts on amping Grados/Alessandros:

Amping Grados help give it a bit more bass and less distortion at higher volume levels but it's far from being a game changer. I listen to my Grados through my iPod sometimes and they still sound good (but not superb).

Overall, they're a very safe headphone to listen to without an amp.

Thanks. I listen at low volume levels, I think.

That's good.
wink.gif

Anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back