Grado vs Sennheiser for Classical Music
May 2, 2007 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Violinboy123

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm trying to decide between either the Grado RS-1 or RS2 and the Sennheiser HD 650. I listen to strictly classical music and was wondering which cans would sound the best. I would also consider the GS-1000, but only if they sound significantly better for this type of music.

Thanks!

May 2, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 20
650 hands down especially for you music tastes. For a broader spectrum its a tough call.

But since you say strictly classical, I think 650 will be the best option. Don't know about the GS1000, I didnt like it, and I find it too expensive. You would also need much higher quality source and amp for the GS1000 to sound good AFAIK.

May 2, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
650 hands down especially for you music tastes. For a broader spectrum its a tough call.

But since you say strictly classical, I think 650 will be the best option. Don't know about the GS1000, I didnt like it, and I find it too expensive. You would also need much higher quality source and amp for the GS1000 to sound good AFAIK.

HD650's are PERFECT for classical. If you wanted to talk about absolutes, i would say 650's are absolutely for classical/jazz because of the soundstage and instrument separation, and grado's are absolutely for rock because of the intamacy and clear treble. of course they play other music well, but they specialize in those areas that i mentioned.

May 2, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 20
Have you thought about the AKG K501 for classical?

May 2, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 20
Just be aware the associated equipment the Senns require to excel (which is more than most phones discussed here including the RS1/2), isn't nearly what the GS1000s need.

I think you should be focusing on the Senns or AKGs.

And welcome to Head-Fi.

May 2, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 20
I don't like the RS-1 for classical. I prefer the AKG K701 hands down.
I've read that the GS-1000 and HD650 seems to be pretty good for classical, but never listen to both of it. I would consider the K701 also ...

May 2, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 20
I love my GS for classical; that goes for intimately recorded string quartet through to blow-your-head-off symphonic works (hoping the Kondrashin/Shostakovich set will sound this good on Friday when it arrives
biggrin.gif
).
The huge soundstage helps but the detail within gives each section life and breath. Sure a good amp is gonna help but when I hear all this talk about the Senn 'veil' it just makes me wonder who'd want that....
As for expense, it's all relative. A decent set of speakers are up there with a pair of GS and a pair of RS together.

May 2, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 20
I owned both the RS-1 and the 650 (with Zu Mobius aftermarket cable) at the same time and the bigger soundstage of the 650 is certainly better suited for classical. However, the tonality of stringed instruments sound more "real" with the RS-1 to me.

I personally think classical music sounds great with the MS-Pros I currently am using. If the recording has a big soundstage to begin with, they will reproduce the sense of space surprisingly well with alot of depth. However, classical accounts for 5% of my listening, so what performs best with other music is of most importance for me.

May 2, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 is the ultimate classical headphone without a doubt.

In fact there is quite a bit of doubt - Omega II's, Omega I's, Sennheiser HE90's, Sennheiser HE60, AKG K-1000, AKG 701, Sony Qualia, Sony MDR-10, Grado GS-1000, Grado HP-1000, Grado PS-1's, Grado RS-1's, Ulimate Ears UE-10's...all of these phones among others have been said to not only be among the ruling class when listening to classical but trounce anything and everything else.

HD650's may be preferred by many but ultimately and guaranteed they are not.

If one has the option, test drive both the RS-1's and HD650's or 600's, heck even go for some 580's, they can be had for very cheap these days and RS-1's on the used market are in the $400 range...for about $550 one could have a nice trial time and hey, if both appeal, keeping both would not be unheard of around these parts.

May 2, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #12 of 20
IMHO, it depends the type of classicals. If you need sound stage, I think GS1000 is the only thing from Grado sound that you might consider. Personally, if I don't have my GS1000, I can be still very happy with AKG. I find Senn phones are too nice (Laid back) for my taste. To my ears, AKG is more "Neutral" for classicals.

May 2, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 20
that's it. i gotta hear my sacd of Hillary Hahn on the GS1Ks when i get home now!

May 2, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #14 of 20
Listening to big classical, I'd pick, from my collection, in this order:

1. K701's
2. HD650
3. ER4P/S if I were limited/mobile)
4. Triplefi
5. E500
6. RS1 (with flats)

RS1's last because of the congestion with lots of complex pieces. If simple concerto/chamber music with fewer instruments, the RS-1's would go up the list.

For some reason IEMs don't seem to have that congestion, even though they are further in your head - why is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back