Grado vs. Senn... which for a noob?
Mar 19, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #16 of 22
I know these are alot less then the cans youve mentioned above, but Ive been nothing but pleased with my 485s for bass heavy music, they really do have as much emphesis on the bass as everyone says, and really take well to an amplified source, and their fairly cheap
wink.gif
70$ from steve.

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #17 of 22
I have a the Alessandro MS-1 (made by Grado) and it's a great headphone for $100. Awesome for rock and good enough for me for hip-hop.

A friend of mine who has really eclectic tastes bought the Technics RP-DJ1200 headphones and we had some fun hanging out together comparing the two.

We both agreed the MS-1 was more refined, had better detail and more balanced mids, and kick ass for rock, but the DJ1200 are certainly a lot of fun to listen to as well. The bass definitely slams a bit more, but it's not sloppy and out of control. Considering the prominent bass, the DJ1200 are otherwise fairly balanced. Great for hip-hop and good for rock and other pop genres. I wouldn't pay much more than $100 for the Technics though.

If you were to go the two $100 headphone route, I think the Alessandro MS-1 and Technics RP-DJ1200 are a good combo. That gets you a great, open headphone for rock that won't embarrass itself with hip-hop, and a closed headphone that's great for hip-hop and good for other things as well.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I would consider the DT770-80 for your purposes.

I think it is a very satisfying headphone with genres like hip-hop, even without an amp.

-Matt

I totally second that. You know, it's really tough to figure out what your ears really "want" in sound. A lot of the time, it's not what you expect... try out as much as you can before you plunk down cash.

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
I think the thing you'll dislike most about the Grados is their lack of bass "impact" with things like hip-hop, reggae, modern alternative stuff, ect.

Yeah I totally agree there, I was so dissappointed when I used the Ps-1's with flats. I thought there would be totally more impact than that.

Bassheadphone my buttcheeks.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #20 of 22
I'm definitely going to advocate for trying two phones first, because everyone has their own definition of the right amount of bass. For instance, the guy above me is disappointed with the bass in PS-1s, whereas others (as you can probably see just by his post) claim it has a whole lot of it. It's all relative, really, so the best thing for you to do would probably be to get a feel for more than one signature and see which you prefer, based on your own personal taste.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I would consider the DT770-80 for your purposes.

I think it is a very satisfying headphone with genres like hip-hop, even without an amp.

-Matt

2x

The DT770 will have all the bass you're need for the type of genres you listen to.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by runagt2
Hi!

This is my first post, but I've been reading Head-Fi for quite a while. I'm really interested in getting some new headphones soon... this summer I had been using my dad's noise cancelling Sony earbuds, but they got in an accident with the vacuum cleaner. So I figure I'll buy new headphones and give my dad my D66 Eggos.

Currently, I'm listening to my iPod through my Eggos with no amp, and I listen mostly to hip-hop, alternative.... I'm currently interested in Grados (SR60s through 225s) or maybe the Senn HD595s. I've had trouble learning which would be best for my hip-hop, as I like emphasis on bass, however I'm relatively satisfied with the D66s bass... Keep in mind I have no amp yet, but I think both of these headphones are easy to drive.

So which for me would be best? Grados or Senns? Thanks in advance for your help!

I was in the exact same situation, and I went with the 595, it's unamped, it sounds great. On a m-audio rev 7.1, but in the future i'll get a good x-fi or something of the sort, and maybe an amp, and then it should sound magnificent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back