Grado vs. Senn... which for a noob?
Mar 18, 2006 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

runagt2

New Head-Fier
Hi!

This is my first post, but I've been reading Head-Fi for quite a while. I'm really interested in getting some new headphones soon... this summer I had been using my dad's noise cancelling Sony earbuds, but they got in an accident with the vacuum cleaner. So I figure I'll buy new headphones and give my dad my D66 Eggos.

Currently, I'm listening to my iPod through my Eggos with no amp, and I listen mostly to hip-hop, alternative.... I'm currently interested in Grados (SR60s through 225s) or maybe the Senn HD595s. I've had trouble learning which would be best for my hip-hop, as I like emphasis on bass, however I'm relatively satisfied with the D66s bass... Keep in mind I have no amp yet, but I think both of these headphones are easy to drive.

So which for me would be best? Grados or Senns? Thanks in advance for your help!

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 22
Tough call. I think for hip-hop you might not like the Grados as much. I pretty much only use my SR225s for Bluegrass and Rock (where tons of bass impact doesn't seem natural anyways). I use my KSC-75s for everything else.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 22
AKG K 81 DJ should be perfect for Hiphop AFAIK. Lots of deep bass, though in more refined way than overbassy K 26 P model.

Grados are mainly for rock and metal music because of their bright sound, brings life to guitars. There is some bass, but its tight and accurate so no boom effect that is practically required with hiphop.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 22
It really depends on where you plan to use your ipod. Both of the models you listed are open air type headphones which means the outside world can hear you. This may not be much of a problem at home, but it may be one in public places; especially with Grados which tend to leak sound like crazy. If it where up to me, I'd go with the Sennheisers due to the genre.

If isolation is an issue, I'd go with a set of IEMS.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 22
Thinking about it, from what I've read around here, the 595s seem like they might be a good bet for you. I don't know for sure, though, since I haven't heard them.

*edit*
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
if isolation is an issue, I'd go with a set of IEMS.

Yeah, if you're going to be using these on the go, definately consider the IEM route. Super.fi 5Pro for hip-hop
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 22
i really enjoy hip hop with my HD595, but more so with an amp. the bass is very predominant and clear. and very comfortable too :HD595smile:

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 22
Thanks for the replies guys,

I guess the Grados might be a little to bright for most of my listening. However, I've read the HF-1s appeal to a wider variety of music (more "laidback" I guess?) I know Todd is selling them for a couple seconds on Monday, haha. Any suggestions leaning toward the HF-1s or SR225s?

Isolation isn't much of a problem, except that the leakage might make my mom think I'm going deaf.

Are the HD595s worth $25 over SR225s? Any comments on the HD555s?

Thanks again.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 22
I think the thing you'll dislike most about the Grados is their lack of bass "impact" with things like hip-hop, reggae, modern alternative stuff, ect. I kinda knew what I was getting when I bought my SR225 (which I only wanted for bluegrass and rock anyways) but I was surprised at how much I didn't like them for almost everything else.

Mar 19, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by runagt2
Any comments on the HD555s?

I just got them a couple of weeks ago and I'm very pleased. The sound is non-fatiguing and they're very comfortable. I can easily listen for hours. I haven't heard the 595 myself, but most people seem to say that the 555 is very close in terms of sound quality.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 22
I repeatedly give what I consider to be this very solid piece of advice:
Instead of buying one expensive Senn/Grado, buy a lower model of each first.
The Grado sr-60 are a great intro to the Grado sound and the Sennhd555 are the same for the Senns. Combined, they will run you about $220.
*You do not need an amp for either of these cans.
Grados-forward and aggressive, crisp sounding-great for all genres (with the exception of Classical and Jazz).
Senns-warm and laid back, perfect supplement to the above.
The resale on both items will remain quite high, assuming you take good care of them.
BUY BOTH.
Burn both in (50-100 hours a piece) and really take the time to figure which signature is best for you ears...itll be a great experience for you.
Once youve decided that for example, the Grado sound is more your cup of tea, youll move up the Grado product line with confidence in future purchases.
I know you want to start "at the top" but trust me, these are great cans-and this is what I believe to be the best path for a relative headphone noob.
Enjoy!
Kwitel

edit-im not sure, but I believe they make a 120ohm version of the 555. These power hungry cans will require an amp for full potential. Be sure to purchase the 50ohm version instead; same performance just more efficient.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 22
To Kwitel, thanks for the suggestion. That is an intriguing idea, and it is true that I could get both the HD555s and SR60s for the same price as one high-end phone. But taking this approach, what about HD515s or the HD280 Pros?

To crazyfrenchman27, Beyers might be great for my music, but I think they're a little beyond my budget, and too big for any portability.

Thanks!

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by runagt2
To Kwitel, thanks for the suggestion. That is an intriguing idea, and it is true that I could get both the HD555s and SR60s for the same price as one high-end phone. But taking this approach, what about HD515s or the HD280 Pros?

To crazyfrenchman27, Beyers might be great for my music, but I think they're a little beyond my budget, and too big for any portability.

Thanks!

Hey-I chose those cuz they are the best of the pack-bang for buck.
The 515's are sub-par IMO and lack alot of that warm ingredient that the 555's are known for. Also, you cant even compare the build quality and soundstage..
As for the 280's...well now your talking a completely different animal, a closed headphone. Not a fan of closed design, aside from the fact that the hd280 quite possibly have the dullest and dryest sound signature of any Sennheiser.
If you plan on using these cans primarily for home use, I advise to stay with an open design. If youd like to look into some closed designs or are looking for isolation, let me know and ill offer up some other suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back