Grado: Such a fatiguing listen?
Oct 30, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #46 of 77
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about how the SOUND is fatiguing.

I had SR-60s and found the sound OK, but the pads really hurt my ears. Now I have the SR-80s, the sound is a bit better (with an amp) and the pads don't hurt as much. I've got the 325is on order.

The problem is that I like the Grado sound for a while but it is fatiguing. Unfortunately I also have Sennheiser and AKG and they are ALL fatiguing after a while - that's why I switch them around.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #47 of 77
I use my SR80 with 414 pads and theyre perfectly comfy .

My SR225 came with bowls and they feel better than i remember my SR80 bowls feeling,which at the time hurt after 15 minutes,which is why i tried the 414 pads.

The SR80 sounds better with 414,and the SR225 sounds better with bowls,so thats how i have them.

The little IGrados are comfy though, and i like the sound balance for the money.

I cant bring myself to buy the RS1, because of the stupid Right and Left blocks being plastic. Even on their flagship GS1000, they have the same stupid plastic R/L blocks. Maybe ill buy them and have wood blocks made for them.

The GS1000 look weird,but prolly comfy.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #48 of 77
I got my bowls today, 100% worse than flats. However, t he one good thing about them is that my little beyer pad slip trick works even better with the bowls, since they protrude more. I bet the soundstage is a little better too.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #49 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Territhemayor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And to the guy who said he must have the plug sit perfectly in the jack, thats not the grados problem, it's the thing your plugging into (I think)

Nope. Happens on every source I've tried.

Also, while I focused on the comfort being fatiguing, I suppose I should add that the sound is fatiguing too. A bit too forward for my taste.

It's not Grado's fault. It's mine. I didn't really know what I liked. I read review after review on how the SR80's are the best sub-$100 can out there, and I ate it up.

Not that they were wrong, I just disagree. I realize Grado is a great company with a loyal fanbase and deservedly so. It just so happens that I couldn't disagree more.

If Grado's charm is, as the poster said above, "Pleasure through Pain", I wish I knew that a year ago. When it comes to headphones, I kind of just want "Pleasure".

Hey, and if anything, this whole SR80 nightmare gives me an excuse to fine tune what "I think I want", which now I "think I know": Closed can, ultra-comfortable, more bass, slightly recessed mids, clear treble, efficient. So, with that said, the Denon AH-D2000's are lookin' mighty nice me thinks.

Thanks for reading!
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #51 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Territhemayor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get some darth beyers. looks. sound. comfort.

Where? How? What's the time delay on getting darth beyers? Do they require amplification? Do they sound okay unamped? I'm totally lost when it comes to them.

Lost. But, intrigued!
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #55 of 77
Going from Grados to Beyers...I don't think I'll ever go back

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #56 of 77
Im planning on getting some Grados (prolly SR80s) in the near future since I need some open cans for work so I can hear if im being called for. I dont know much about the Grado options, so I am hoping for some enlightenment regarding the different pad types. From what I can tell, there are only the Flats and the Bowls. Are there varietys of each? Which models come with which pads? Also, it seems there are alternative options in the way of the 414 pads or Beyer pads, are there others? Also, Ill take the SR80s off your hands funkFuzz if do plan on selling em
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #57 of 77
- bowls: on all grados except MS1 & SR-60 (comfies) and GS1000 (bagels)

are open sounding and comfort is generally low though it improves after use and there are some (like me) to whom bowls are just comfortable. Can be used reversed (bit flats-like) and there is also the sock-mod (which is hardly used anymore)

- comfies: stock on MS1 and SR-60

slightly muffled sounding, but more comfortable; can be modded (quarter mod)

- bagels: big pads on GS1000

very comfortable, expensive, very comfortable and only sound good on GS1000 (though some here disagree on that last bit)

- flats: old style grado pads (on HP1000 etc), only available through TTVJ

more bass than bowls, better comfort for most; pretty expensive for foam. Take away last soundstage and soften highs (a bit too much for many)

- HD414: yellow senn pads

cheap, yellow (can be dyed), sounds a lot like comfies but softer (and more comfortable). Can be used stock or modded (quarter mod or quarter mod and reversed)

- C-pads: headphile adapters for beyer pads

very comfortable, huge, beautiful to some - hideous to others (like me), change sound a lot (not for the good according to most)

hope this helps
tongue.gif

BTW, I use my SR-60 and MS2i with bowls and have never had any comfort issues at all (and I often wear my heavy MS2i's for 8+ hours a day when working at home)

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #58 of 77
Another freak over here that finds the bowls perfectly comfortable, even for extended listening sessions (6+ hours) - the caveat here being that they are indeed stiff and rough on the skin fresh out of the box. The added benefit is the shape of the pad itself, which allows for less clamp without sacrificing stability. Among a few minor complaints about the flats sonically, my biggest gripe is simply the inability to rock out without the cans flying off your head.

For those that prefer bowls but do find them uncomfortable during extended listening, a great pad "mod" was mentioned earlier in the thread. If you find your ears getting sensitized by the pads, it's typically the result of your cartilage touching the exposed driver housing. If you hit up radio shack, you can find replacement pads for those cheap panasonic "shockwave" headphones. Pop the bowls off, slip those pads on and then put the bowls back on over top of them. It's a very thin padding, so SQ isn't destroyed like with comfies (though there is a noticeable loss of treble sparkle) and the hard driver cover now has a bit of padding.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #59 of 77
I too find my 225's comfortable. I wear them with bowls and even with my glasses on I can wear them forever. I tried the 414 modded pads and they didn't do it for me. I definitely believe it is a head shape and size thing. I've got a pretty big melon and I think that is why I find them comfy.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #60 of 77
Lucky you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back