Grado sr80i vs Ultrasone hfi-580
Jul 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #16 of 21
But on the other side there are also some good bassy headphones...sony xb500 or denon ah-d1001...maybe they werent perfect for metal...but Eminem, 2pac other rap, hip-hop was ok.

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 21
I don't understand why people act like low end isn't important for heavy metal. Heavy Metal likes a good amount of bass too, or else everything loses impact. I guess I don't understand people's definition of strong bass.  Regardless of how you are listening to your music the bass shouldn't sound thin regardless of the genre of music you are listening too. When people say bass heavy do they mean bass that isn't accurate and is boosted? 

Yes. Some people on this forum feel that if headphones don't have good sub bass (lower than midbass) or over-emphasized bass, then the headphones don't have good bass. And some people would rather have huge amounts of flabby bass over a tighter more neutral bass response. To each his own :)

One thing I think that would help on this forum is to differentiate between the type of bassheads. On car audio forums if you ask about subwoofers, they want to know if you are looking for SQ (sound quality) or SPL (sound pressure level) to differentiate from those who want great sounding bass vs. great amounts of bass. Here is seems like if you are a basshead, it is often interpreted as you are only interested in over-emphasized bass. I'm a basshead, but from the SQ perspective. But I swear. I can prove I'm a basshead even though I don't want my brains beat out with bass. I have four subs in my house, two of which are 18" sealed subs in my living room with my main home audio setup :)

As for Grados, I listen to rock with my SR225i, and they have decent punchy bass down to around 50hz. Covers the whole midbass range no problem. It's just not emphasized with extra bass like some people on the forum seem to want. But plenty for all kinds of rock music to me.

I also have a 10" home audio sub in my home office with my desktop computer setup with the crossover set to the speakers at around 50hz, too. It's very, very rare that I noticed any music loss with the sub turned off with rock and metal, so I have stopped using it. Grados sound so good to me for rock, that *if* by chance a song might benefit from a little sub bass, the trade off is worth it.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #19 of 21
What do you mean by wider frequency response?

Also, transient response is a factor in how much detail a speaker/headphone provides: how quickly a speaker reacts to the sound, and it's typically the decay (how fast it stops in reacting to the sound) that is the main factor in this. Grados are well known for excellent transient response.

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #20 of 21
I'm an Ultrasound user, Grace will have more detail due to a flatter frequency reproduction in mid and high freq. While Ultrasound HFI 580, being a bass heavy headphone, tends to blanket the details by the strength of the bass. Similar to Monster's headphones, all details are gone eaten by the bass.
Actually for flatter response Ultrasound, you should check HFI 680. As for Audio Technica M50, I recommend the Limited Edition, the silver one.
I also use UE700, which I think excel in details and bass impact, despite the cheaper pricing and somewhat discouraging built.
I also listen to rock, metal, classical, and blues.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:
Yes. Some people on this forum feel that if headphones don't have good sub bass (lower than midbass) or over-emphasized bass, then the headphones don't have good bass. And some people would rather have huge amounts of flabby bass over a tighter more neutral bass response. To each his own
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing I think that would help on this forum is to differentiate between the type of bassheads. On car audio forums if you ask about subwoofers, they want to know if you are looking for SQ (sound quality) or SPL (sound pressure level) to differentiate from those who want great sounding bass vs. great amounts of bass. Here is seems like if you are a basshead, it is often interpreted as you are only interested in over-emphasized bass. I'm a basshead, but from the SQ perspective. But I swear. I can prove I'm a basshead even though I don't want my brains beat out with bass. I have four subs in my house, two of which are 18" sealed subs in my living room with my main home audio setup
smily_headphones1.gif

As for Grados, I listen to rock with my SR225i, and they have decent punchy bass down to around 50hz. Covers the whole midbass range no problem. It's just not emphasized with extra bass like some people on the forum seem to want. But plenty for all kinds of rock music to me.

I also have a 10" home audio sub in my home office with my desktop computer setup with the crossover set to the speakers at around 50hz, too. It's very, very rare that I noticed any music loss with the sub turned off with rock and metal, so I have stopped using it. Grados sound so good to me for rock, that *if* by chance a song might benefit from a little sub bass, the trade off is worth it.

D5000's with like 3bd or the small bass boost on a portable amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back