Grado SR80i vs SR225i
Apr 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

davidsdiego

New Head-Fier

Hello Everybody,

I'm considering on purchasing some Grados because all of the hype online. I've spent a few days researching many sites and I still keep finding mixed opinions. Does the Grado SR80i or SR225i have some noticeable bass response if powered to a headphone amp or are they too bright for most people? Which do you consider a better value?

I currently own the B&W P5s and they provide enough bass for my preference. The P5s can be run w/out a headphone amp, connected to an iPhone 4S. I thought Beats felt like subwoofers attached to my ears with no clarity; I hated them! LOL!

Thanks,
David

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 22
Heya,

Most will claim that the SR225i is the best value in the line. Personally, after having owned 3 Grados, I have to say, really the SR60i is perfectly good. Bass is actually good on Grados. I've made mine pulse some good tones for EDM and even some dub, especially if you have something that does EQ well (the Grados can bass it up, my E11 with EQ2 setting for bass makes them thump very nicely and drop pretty low, they're not bass shy at all, they're just not earthquake cans). I don't find Grados too bright. They're definitely not laid back, not for the fatigue-easy ear. They're forward, grainy and piercing. But again, I find the SR60i at $80 to be pretty much all you need if you want to experience Grado. And I think its mandatory that you get L-cush pads (bowls) along with it for $20 to replace the stock flats they come with (they're horrible). I really don't hear a worthy difference between the SR60i and SR325i for example, having both. Definitely not a $200 difference to me. If you love Grado sound and you want to make them your mains, then I would explore the higher non-prestige line at that point. But for starting out, I would just go SR60i or SR80i with L-cush pads/bowls and enjoy them. Then if you really, really like Grado, step up to the RS1/2 or higher and go all out. I love Grados, though they're not my main. My primary problem with them as a main is that they're not all that comfortable to me over time. I can go like 2 hours before my ears feel too much pressure from the on-ear pads. I much prefer full size over-ear. And only the highest end Grados sound right with the big G-cush bowls. The lower prestige models sound awful to me with the G-cush bowls--all treble, tizzy, hot, tinny and the bass disappears when using G-cush bowls in the prestige line. L-cush is where it's at as far as I'm concerned. And I think every audiophile should have at least one Grado... hehe.

Very best,

Apr 25, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 22
I have the Grado 325 and Alessandro MS1 (a modified Grado 80--but often compared with the 125 or 225)--both bought no later than December 2011.  Like Mal, I don't consider them to be my go to every day can(s).

Everyone has a different comfort factor.  For me the regular Grado/Alessandro ear pads took some getting used to, but--along with the head and etc.--are fine for 2 to 3 hours of listening.  They don't have Beyer, AKG Q701 or Senn HD 598 comfort, but they are OK.

I hear noticeably better clarity and bass from my 325 than from my MS1.  The highs on the 325 are quite bright; some call them harsh.  However, I have found that playing them through my HiFi Man EF2A (once it burned in--it was awful at first) the highs lost that "just south of the edge between very bright and harsh.  It's a great sounding can for rock, blues, country--and probably more genres.

I haven't heard the RS line yet, but the 325 (and probably the MS2--based on the 325) is a nice place to be in the Grado line--especially with the right amp.

Base on what I have heard on my MS1--the 80 is probably a good place in the line to stick you toe to determine if they are for you.  On the other hand, if you have the means, the 225 has oft been reported as the sweet and most popular upgrade spot in the Grado line.  Your money --your choice.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
Heya,

Most will claim that the SR225i is the best value in the line. Personally, after having owned 3 Grados, I have to say, really the SR60i is perfectly good. Bass is actually good on Grados. I've made mine pulse some good tones for EDM and even some dub, especially if you have something that does EQ well (the Grados can bass it up, my E11 with EQ2 setting for bass makes them thump very nicely and drop pretty low, they're not bass shy at all, they're just not earthquake cans). I don't find Grados too bright. They're definitely not laid back, not for the fatigue-easy ear. They're forward, grainy and piercing. But again, I find the SR60i at $80 to be pretty much all you need if you want to experience Grado. And I think its mandatory that you get L-cush pads (bowls) along with it for $20 to replace the stock flats they come with (they're horrible). I really don't hear a worthy difference between the SR60i and SR325i for example, having both. Definitely not a $200 difference to me. If you love Grado sound and you want to make them your mains, then I would explore the higher non-prestige line at that point. But for starting out, I would just go SR60i or SR80i with L-cush pads/bowls and enjoy them. Then if you really, really like Grado, step up to the RS1/2 or higher and go all out. I love Grados, though they're not my main. My primary problem with them as a main is that they're not all that comfortable to me over time. I can go like 2 hours before my ears feel too much pressure from the on-ear pads. I much prefer full size over-ear. And only the highest end Grados sound right with the big G-cush bowls. The lower prestige models sound awful to me with the G-cush bowls--all treble, tizzy, hot, tinny and the bass disappears when using G-cush bowls in the prestige line. L-cush is where it's at as far as I'm concerned. And I think every audiophile should have at least one Grado... hehe.

Very best,

I appreciate the info! Where did you purchase your L-cush pads/bowls? Does the SR80i ear pads remove without tools? What are your main cans? Thanks!

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
I have the Grado 325 and Alessandro MS1 (a modified Grado 80--but often compared with the 125 or 225)--both bought no later than December 2011.  Like Mal, I don't consider them to be my go to every day can(s).

Everyone has a different comfort factor.  For me the regular Grado/Alessandro ear pads took some getting used to, but--along with the head and etc.--are fine for 2 to 3 hours of listening.  They don't have Beyer, AKG Q701 or Senn HD 598 comfort, but they are OK.

I hear noticeably better clarity and bass from my 325 than from my MS1.  The highs on the 325 are quite bright; some call them harsh.  However, I have found that playing them through my HiFi Man EF2A (once it burned in--it was awful at first) the highs lost that "just south of the edge between very bright and harsh.  It's a great sounding can for rock, blues, country--and probably more genres.

I haven't heard the RS line yet, but the 325 (and probably the MS2--based on the 325) is a nice place to be in the Grado line--especially with the right amp.

Base on what I have heard on my MS1--the 80 is probably a good place in the line to stick you toe to determine if they are for you.  On the other hand, if you have the means, the 225 has oft been reported as the sweet and most popular upgrade spot in the Grado line.  Your money --your choice.

Awesome, thanks!

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 22

Quote:

Does the SR80i ear pads remove without tools? What are your main cans? Thanks!

The ear pads on all Grado models simply come off with minimal effort. You should be able to buy replacement pads from any authorized Grado dealer. My first pair of Grados were the sr60's, and I just recently upgraded to the sr225is. I find there is much more clarity and detail in the 225s than my older 60s. If you have the means to purchase the 225's, I recommend them.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 22

Quote:

The ear pads on all Grado models simply come off with minimal effort. You should be able to buy replacement pads from any authorized Grado dealer. My first pair of Grados were the sr60's, and I just recently upgraded to the sr225is. I find there is much more clarity and detail in the 225s than my older 60s. If you have the means to purchase the 225's, I recommend them.

Thanks, I appreciate your input! I'm hoping to have time to be able to check out the SR225is today. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #11 of 22
What sort of music do you listen too, and what have you read about Grado's that has you intrigued?

Malveaux is right the SR60 is a great headphone in it's own right and has a definite fun factor. The 225 is probably the sweet spot in the Grado line to answer your other question.

I've owned and still own both, listening to a little Bob Seger on my 225 at the moment
L3000.gif

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
What sort of music do you listen too, and what have you read about Grado's that has you intrigued?

Malveaux is right the SR60 is a great headphone in it's own right and has a definite fun factor. The 225 is probably the sweet spot in the Grado line to answer your other question.

I've owned and still own both, listening to a little Bob Seger on my 225 at the moment
L3000.gif

Many genres, although I wanted to listen to Rock with the Grados. The soundstage and how it seems like the band is performing right in front of you, if you close your eyes. Thanks for your input!

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:

Have you tried the SR80is with SR225i ear pads? Just curious.

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #14 of 22
I made time to visit my local stereo shop and I tested the Grado SR60i, 80i, 125i, 225i, 325i, and RS2i. I felt that the SR225i was the sweet spot out of all of them, so I purchased them.

I appreciate everybody's help, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back