Grado SR80i vs Philips CitiScape Uptown
Aug 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kent0

Head-Fier
Im having a hard choosing between this two headphones, and I think I should get the philips because it's priced cheeper in our country (and the grado is a bit overpriced) but I want to spend my money for the best sounding headphones of the two.
Can someone compare them in terms of:
Bass
Lows
Mids (the most important for me)
High
Soundstage
Comfort
and durability

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 8
They are two extremely different cans, like comparing apples to oranges. The grados are open and the uptowns are closed. Because of this difference, the sound greatly changes. The grados will blow the uptowns away with soundstage, but the uptowns will have more prominent bass. Im not very familiar with both of these headphones, so I cannot provide very in depth descriptions, but those are my observations just based on the structure of the cans. Good luck!

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 8
I've never listened to the Uptown, but I can reiterate some common facts about Grado SR60/80:

Open, airy sound;
No isolation;
Very durable;
Comfort is either "you don't notice it" or "ow it hurts", but never "ooh comfy";
Bass presence and texture is just "good";
Mids are excellent;
Highs can be painful if you're not used to forward representation, very nice if you are;
Sound stage is small and "in your face" but still has airiness to it.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
They are two extremely different cans, like comparing apples to oranges. The grados are open and the uptowns are closed. Because of this difference, the sound greatly changes. The grados will blow the uptowns away with soundstage, but the uptowns will have more prominent bass. Im not very familiar with both of these headphones, so I cannot provide very in depth descriptions, but those are my observations just based on the structure of the cans. Good luck!

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I've never listened to the Uptown, but I can reiterate some common facts about Grado SR60/80:

Open, airy sound;
No isolation;
Very durable;
Comfort is either "you don't notice it" or "ow it hurts", but never "ooh comfy";
Bass presence and texture is just "good";
Mids are excellent;
Highs can be painful if you're not used to forward representation, very nice if you are;
Sound stage is small and "in your face" but still has airiness to it.

Thanks :), due the fact that the grado is very open I think i'll buy both cans. I think the grado has a better midrange that the uptown. but I think its perfect (The Grado) if I only use them at home
because they leak a LOT of sound (coz they are open). and the Uptown is good for portable use. and because they cancel noise it also have a better bass, So i'll just use the grado for home. and the uptown for portable use.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Thanks :), due the fact that the grado is very open I think i'll buy both cans. I think the grado has a better midrange that the uptown. but I think its perfect (The Grado) if I only use them at home
because they leak a LOT of sound (coz they are open). and the Uptown is good for portable use. and because they cancel noise it also have a better bass, So i'll just use the grado for home. and the uptown for portable use.

perfect decision...way to go man !!

both cans gonna kick your A** 
beerchug.gif

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 8
lol, this can's will slowly transform me into an audiophile. glad that even though im only 13, im not fooled by celebrity endorsed headphones (Fashion accessories)... Thanks guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back