Grado SR80i vs. Audio Technica ATH-M50S
Oct 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

orafalcons

New Head-Fier
I have been looking for a new set of headphones for about a week now having just sold my Shure SE315's. I had the earbuds for portability but found I never listened to them on the go anyway so I am looking for something more substantial. I am between these two headphones and am not concerned about price difference between the two. I listen to mainly Dubstep, Classic Rock, Indie Alt, some Classical, Folk. Basically a wide variety of music so I need headphones that will be good for any type of music. I would like good bass quality that being said. I reviewed a few other posts of users contemplating both of these models but didn't really see any informative replies. Preferably someone who has owned both of these, what do you like and dislike about each one? Any advice would be appreciated. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 4
For mobile use, the SR-80 is a bad idea - they're fully open and will leak audio in and out. The M50 provide more isolation as they're closed-back monitor headphones. However if isolation is a non-issue, the Grados are lighter, more comfortable (imho), heat up less, and have more natural midrange/treble presentation with less boomy bass. I would take Grado here, again assuming isolation is a non-issue. If you need isolation/mobility, I would vote for the Sennheiser HD 380Pro instead of the M50 (it has better soundstaging, a less claustrophobic fit, comes with a hard-sided carrying case, removable cable, etc). Another pick I would take for mobility would be the Bose AE2 (this lacks the hard-case, but otherwise I would put them up there with the 380, they both cost right around $150).

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 4
Shure SRH840 or 440 are damn nice too if you like Shure. 440 being more mobile. Sony MDRV6 are an old stanby. I love my Grado SR80 (not i ) Very lively. The M50 are overhyped but do bass well.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 4
SR80 : Bright, Can be harsh to some, so forward sounding, fast bass but not thick, suitable for rock metal etc
M50 : More neutral sounding, smoother, more laidback, thicker bass but slower, bigger soundstage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back