Grado SR80i is best mated with ... RTL 269, Audigy/X fi, Fiio, Cmoy - recommended configuration?
Oct 17, 2011 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

karthikrr

New Head-Fier
Hello citizens of Head-Fi,org,

New to the forums, but not so new to the site. While not an audiophile (cannot afford it yet!), I am a tad snobbish when it comes to sound. Picked up a Grado SR-60 five years ago without even trying them, simply based on reviews and comments at head-fi and other places. Best decision I ever made, I am yet to find a single person in my circles who has listened to these and said they prefer whatever they are using (Bose, Bang & Olufsen, Sennheiser, etc). 

My grand plan once I picked up the SR60 was to use that for a few years and when I finally had a steady income (student here), to upgrade to the 325 and ..... well, you know how it goes :) Five years on, my SR60 is falling apart. The foam pads are easily replaced, but I also had the plug die on me and had to snip it and replace with a cheap one that I soldered in myself. Either I am just not good at soldering or the weight of the cable is too much for the plug I got, but the soldering job has had to be repeated once a year. Now a slightly different problem showed up, with one of the wires getting cut in the cable rather than the solder joint crapping out on me. Should just be a routine snip and solder job, but I am no longer at home (India) and do not want to buy a soldering iron and other tools here (US) to just do this one job ... I finally ended up ordering the SR80i just now, to replace the SR60, since it did not appear like I was going to be investing in the SR325is anytime soon (still a student!).

This brings me to my question for the gurus here ... Alongwith the Grado, I had also picked up a creative audigy 2 ZS notebook card for my laptop. The sound quality from that card was insanely better than the stock sound on my laptop. Unfortunately, that laptop is also now over 5 years old and is crapping out on me, and I have since upgraded to a new system; one which only has an ExpressCard slot! Now, my question is whether I should be buying a new soundcard (DAC) for the laptop, or if merely investing in a CMoy amp will do the trick ...

Products under consideration are as follows:

Stock sound on Lenovo Edge 14 - Realtek ALC269 (http://www.realtek.com/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=27&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=166)

Previous experience - Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook (the good one in the family, with everything!)

Current options - Creative X Fi Go or the other USB X Fi --- From what I can tell, with both, the older models (Non pro) are better than the current models ... The current models either lack 24-bit sound or lack EAX or lack Dolby decoding and hardware processing support. What is not completely clear though is if these cards are also inferior to the Audigy 2 ZS ... My understanding currently suggests that for notebooks, the Audigy 2 ZS was by far the best card Creative ever put out. Is this correct?

Assuming that is correct, the only other DAC option I have seen so far in my price range is the Fiio E7. I will not be gaming at all on this laptop, so EAX is unimportant, but I would like to have equalizer options available because I listen to a range of music from heavy metal to rock to classical and fusion and am now trying some jazz stuff also! Does the E7 offer equalizer controls like the Audigy (which did a great job at that stuff!)?

Also, it just occurred to me, all the good options that I was using on the Audigy 2 ZS (equalizers, CMSS 3d) were in the EAX console, so perhaps the X Fi without EAX is not of much use to me?

Given the above two options, how much better are they than the stock Realtek ALC269? I am also eyeing the BSG CMoy amp on ebay and am wondering if it does not make more sense to simply invest in just that amp, or perhaps the amp + the X Fi Go, which is about the same price as I would pay for the Fiio E7!

The only downside I see with the BSG amp option is that it will require me to have yet another power supply hooked up to my power strip! But thats nit-picking really, and the benefits of being able to use it with other sources such as the iPod/iPhone and so on makes up for this. Also, I am not a fan of heavily processed sound, like it to be as pure and natural as possible: as I mentioned earlier, the only features I used on the Audigy 2 ZS were the equalizers to fine-tune the sound to my preferences, but pretty much none of the rest of the items.

So, to summarize:

Grado SR80i for a wide range of music (and movies and shows as well) will be best mated with which of the following options:

1) Stock RTL ALC269 (VERY much doubt this, the old SR60 on this was just not as satisfying!)
2) RTL ALC269 + BSG Cmoy Amp
3) Creative X Fi Go
4) Creative X Fi Go with BSG Cmoy Amp
5) Fiio E7
6) Screw all of that, go buy a PCMCIA-ExpressCard adapter and use the Audigy 2 ZS on your new laptop, its wayyyyy superior
7) None of the above, have you considered this ... ?

Sorry about the long post, but I tried to be as detailed as I could!
Thanks,
Karthik

PS - I did spend some time looking at various forum posts on the products under consideration here, and the above are the unanswered questions I had after reading up. Apologize if I am actually rehashing an old topic, if so, please do point me in the right direction! And was unsure if this was the right forum or this belonged in the soundcards section (or equivalent), but figured its really more about what the BSG Cmoy can do, so decided to post here.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Have you looked at the PA2v2 as an amp option?  I stumbled on a Penguin Caffeine, but the PA2v2 was definitely my top choice before that.

(That said, I've heard good things about the BSG Cmoys, but I'd go with a JDSLabs, if you go with one.  Also, the HifiMan HF-101 is apparently an excellent DAC for $30-40, if you want a much cheaper option than replacing the sound card.)

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 5
I just got my new Grados (SR80i) and tried them out side by side on the old laptop with the creative audigy and the new laptop with the onboard realtek ... I don't quite know how to describe the difference, but there is a VERY noticeab difference, even with every enhancement turned off on the creative. Music just sounds so much tighter and 'integrated' on the creative and as though it was playing right in front of me, while with the Realtek, it sounds like its coming out of a pit or something! Its not just the bass/treble levels, the music just feels 'dispersed' on the realtek, if that makes any sense ... 

This is an important issue, I presume, when deciding if just the amp will do. Am I right in thinking that just an amp will NOT help me in this case, since the same not so great sound is going to be amplified? This would mean that what I really need is a DAC first, and an amp later, if the need arises?

If thats the case, I guess its time to move this thread to the other forum, on computer sound hardware ... 

Oh and Mozu, looked up the PA2V2 and the JDSLabs amps, I think I would probably still go with the BSG if I were to buy one. From what I can tell, they are all equally competent and its a subjective thing really. From my subjective perspective, I like the way BSG's stuff looks and the way he describes them on his ebay page. I am also a little averse to 'bass boost', because though I talk about equalizers to adjust levels earlier, I am not specifically fond of a 'switch' to up the bass. Without bothering to look at the technicalities involved, I am assuming they achieve the effect by simply having a cut-off frequency and increasing the gain (is that the right word?) on everything below that frequency ... Totally unwarranted and not at all based in evidence, but .... just feels wrong to me :p

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Everything is subjective in this hobby.  :wink:

Mostly I recommend the JDSLabs and PA2v2 based on the ridiculous numbers of happy customer posts I see here and elsewhere.  Trust me, a BSG was also high on my list.  I'm currently waiting impatiently for JDSLabs' new amp to go into production.

A DAC is probably the way to go to start, but I would take a good look at some DAC/amp combos as well.  The Leckerton UHA-4 seems to get very good reviews here, as well as the Fiio E9/E7 combo.  Otherwise, I would take a look at the HifiMan HF-101 (HM?).  It's no-frills, but has a great DAC amp and costs about $40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back