Grado SR80 vs Senn HD650 -- first impressions
Jan 19, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, my mother has tried these two and has chosen.

And I tried SR60. This has something I have way underestimated. This has something more than any can I have tried in the world: price/quality ratio. This sounds absolutely amazing and what was interesting to hear these aren't shamed what comes to bass music. Mike's Amarok sounds absolutely perfect with these and the nice bass banging in the middle sounds almost as good and deep as with Senn HD 650!

And the pads are much comfier than SR80's. So, we have spoken.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great review. Maybe you should purchase some bowl pads for her SR-60s so she can swap out and choose which sound she likes best. When I compared my (now sold) SR-60s to my SR-80s I came to the same conclusions. The airiness was just too good for me. I purchased a set of comfies just to have around in case I want to go back to the SR-60 sound.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are saying the 325's beat the ms2 in presentation and foot tapping power. I love my 225's but want to upgrade and was considering the ms2's but if they are more like hd580's I will be disappointed. I like that foot tapping, air guitar, rhythym that gets me going everytime.

Right now I am waiting for a pair of SR-325i to a/b with the MS-2. Based on preliminary a/b-ing between the SR-225 and MS-2, I concede that the SR-225 have a more forward presentation than the MS-2. And from what I've read elsewhere, the Alessandro series headphones are reportedly less "Grado-ish" in that respect. If the 325i provide the added detail and harmonic texture that I hope they will, on top of what I already like in the SR-225, then at that point I may--heavy emphasis on "may"--prefer them to the MS-2.

So while the MS-2 do come across--to me--with some "restraint" relative to the SR-225, I would still position them, along a continuum from bright/forward to dark/recessed as being more faithful to the Grado sound than, say, the Sennheiser HD580. I would also posit that the midrange projection of the MS-2 is probably closer to my K701 than to the HD580.

I hasten to add, too, that with more exposure to the MS-2, I find them to be one of the most "alluring" headphones I've ever heard: tonally rich and warm, but still conveying (at least latently) that Grado-like nimbleness and dynamics. Last night I listened to Hiroshima's "Go" cd, westernized Japanese pop, and Barbara Long's voice sounded "miles deep" and luxurious. For light pop venues like this, I don't recall hearing much better in this price range.

That sense of smoothness and lushness--but not a "bog-you-down" lushness, a primary point of distinction between the MS-2 and the SR-225, does come at the (slight) cost of a perceived loss of Grado high energy and assertiveness, though. But I think the gains in detail, finesse and allure with the MS-2 offset their more "buttoned-down" sense of attack. To me the MS-2 represents a perceptable departure from the SR-225 sound in terms of forwardness that moves it towards the HD580--but certainly less than halfway. Enough to make you want to stop and smell the intoxicating scent of roses when you're not necessarily tapping your feet or skipping through the park, but nowhere near enough to induce lethargy or comatosis like the HDxxx--sorry, Senny fanboys!--: ). While the MS-2 sound more "reigned in" than the SR-225, the former is more like a bronco that, although already broken in, still retains its equine spirit intact, while the latter can be more like the mustang that you're just now beginning to break: the first carries you along, while the second seems to be always just a bit out in front of you. : )

I'm excited to a/b the 325i and the MS-2, and at this point I can whole-heartedly say that the MS-2 have in no way been a disappointment to me. They occupy a unique and special class of headphile experience that I've had to date.

Now please excuse me while I go downstairs and listen to Pat Metheny's "Secret Story" on the Alessandro MS-2. : )

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

And the pads are much comfier than SR80's. So, we have spoken.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe you need to get some Sennheiser HD414 pads for your Grados. Comfier than the grado pad and better sounding. You can also cut them to create a bowl like arrangement.

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm excited to a/b the 325i and the MS-2, and at this point I can whole-heartedly say that the MS-2 have in no way been a disappointment to me. They occupy a unique and special class of headphile experience that I've had to date.

I'm looking forward to your comparison, if you're planning on writing it down that is. Although there are a few comparisons already made I really like the language you use to describe the sound and differences between the phones.

I really like my MS2 (non-i). I use them mainly for transportable use together with ipod and headsix, which I feel make a good combo. Although the RS1 I have is better, the distance between them is not that great, both with regards to signature and SQ.

Edit: Maybe this should be a separate topic...

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #20 of 27
Wow, didn't expect you to like the SR80s THAT much, considering the Senns are still a few classes higher than the SR80s.

If I were you, I'd keep the Senns and move up the Grado line, or maybe consider some Alessandros. Sound signature remains the same, but you'll get more of the Grado goodness, and more refined as you get to the RS series. The SR225s are a good step up from the SR80s and I'd recommend those as your next step.

I personally preferred the SR80 bowl pads to the comfies on the SR60s, the sound was a lot clearer for me. Well, my two cents.

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #21 of 27
No question the Grados sound leagues better than the Senns... until you complement the Senns with the right set up... but, then...

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockbottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, didn't expect you to like the SR80s THAT much, considering the Senns are still a few classes higher than the SR80s.

I'm as surprised as you are. They do have quite a difference in the price tag. I'm trying to hear some RS1 this week so maybe it's the final nail to Sennheiser's chest.

But there is no way I'd sell these Senns. It was a mistake already to sell earlier HD595s. :|

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #23 of 27
I have a pair of SR125's. I just got a pair of modified HD 580's (600 grill, 650 cable - maybe we should start refering to this set-up as standard mods or something...). The Senns to me are much more physically comfortable, and much less fatiguing, so the Grados are on ebay right now (2 days to go, and only up to $52! I'm about to pull the plug and sell them here). I need the cash to fund my first couple of amp builds for the Senns. That said, as cash becomes available again, I'll likely try the much loved SR225's used. I do like the Grado sound a lot, I just need a rest after a couple hours. The Senns don't force that. I guess more (different sets of phones) may be better...

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

They [Senns] deliver the music to me, Grados dance with me. Like in a real dance, the dancer gets tired in some point. So that's the reason Grados fatigue me.
biggrin.gif

Really well said! I agree. For the time being, I choose to listen rather than dance, so the Grados are up for sale. There will be Grados in my stable again, though!

aamefford

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #25 of 27
You referenced with the Mulholland Drive ST and didn't use Llorando?!. Well, unamped and improperly sourced, Grados have a distinct advantage. Their just "fun". Glad to hear you like them.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #26 of 27
you probably just don't like the tonal balance of the hd650, otherwise there isn't much arguing the senns are better technically.

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #27 of 27
"you probably just don't like the tonal balance of the hd650, otherwise there isn't much arguing the senns are better technically."
When I upgraded to my Cantante I was very surprised how good my SR60's scaled in sound and presentation. They didn't necessarily become very analytical or revealing, but they maintained their Grado house sound with more gusto than I have ever heard them. Sure my K701's kick all kinds of @$$ on most of my music library, but rock, punk, and metal just "feel" better through the 60's. Had to sell them anyway. Time for another upgrade...
Yes reference cans are great reference, but entry level Grado's just want to get down and dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back