Grado SR80 or? I can get them on big discount
Aug 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kawasakiguy37

New Head-Fier
I want a new pair of cans and Im debating between full size or something like the Grado SR80's. I can get them on a big discount from my work (probably about 50 percent, so Id say something like 40-50 bucks US). I assume this is really my best bet? My only concern is that the Grado's will not have enough bass (custom pads might help this maybe?).

I listen to a WIDE variety of music, so headphone choices are very hard for me. I like everything from the classics like mozart over to some types of house and even the occasional acid jazz. Input?

Also, what pad options are available for the SR80s? Would using my small headphone amp significantly improve t he bass on the SR80s?

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I want a new pair of cans and Im debating between full size or something like the Grado SR80's. I can get them on a big discount from my work (probably about 50 percent, so Id say something like 40-50 bucks US). I assume this is really my best bet? My only concern is that the Grado's will not have enough bass (custom pads might help this maybe?).

I listen to a WIDE variety of music, so headphone choices are very hard for me. I like everything from the classics like mozart over to some types of house and even the occasional acid jazz. Input?

Also, what pad options are available for the SR80s? Would using my small headphone amp significantly improve t he bass on the SR80s?

WHile you could probably make the case that the SR80's are "portable," you will fine more info on them in the full sized cans forum. Regardless, if you can get them at that price, I would definitely do it. As for the bass, you will probably find it lacking at first, but there are certain things you can do to increase it (one is a mod that has you open up the can and poke holes in the felt that blocks the driver, you can read more on this in the grado mod sections of the site). Another option is as you said, to get new pads. The stock "comfies" are the best IMO but there are some $40 bowl pads you can get that increase the bass supposedly (and soundstage a bit). But again, these are $40, and most people agree that the comfies are the best bet with these headphones.

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 6
Take a look at the Sennheiser HD518 if you can spend a bit more, and if you can get audio gear on sale.  KRK, Shure, and Sony also have low $50-low100 offerings.

You're not going to find anything mind-blowing for $50.  Grado SR80i has great bang-for-buck if you don't mind brightness.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 6
Im not looking for $50, Id say budget is at max $150 to 200. The SR80's just looked like a good deal and I didnt think Id be able to get much better for double the price...... I already have a very high end speaker system 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back