Grado SR80: Headband too Big or Head, How to modify?
Oct 21, 2008 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Lovegasoline

New Head-Fier
I just purchased a pair of Grado SR80 headphones and they do not fit me at all.
The headband is too big: it does not have enough adjustment range and at the smallest setting it is still way too big for my head. The earphones drop down over my earlobes instead of over my ear canal. If I lift the headband up about an inch they sit centered over my ears.
I'd like to know if there is an elegant and comfortable solution. I do not want to have to pack stuff under the headband to gain an extra inch or more of height. Is there a replacement headband available, or alteration (preferably reversible) to get this to fit?
I am looking for an effective, comfortable, and aesthetic solution.

BTW, my hat size is 6-7/8 (21-3/4" circumference).

Thanks a bunch.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm not sure what you could do besides stuff something under them to give you that inch. You could bend the band in so the clap on your ears better.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 16
Yeah, perhaps add some padding beneath/around the headband. Maybe just keep wrapping panyhose or something.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovegasoline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haetfan12,
Regarding the Beyer # 340.502 headband, how does it attach to the SR80?
Where to buy in NYC or online?
Thanks.

I called Beyerdynamic USA (customer service) and bought a couple of them. Give them the part# and they will email you an order form, just fill it out and send it right back. If I remember they were about $9.00 each.

It has 4 buttons on one side and the cushion on the other, just wrap it around the Grado headband.

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 16
from pictures, it looks like it adds a good amount. not sure if it'll add an inch on both sides though. i think it would add ~1/4-1/2". did you already try bending the headband? flatter in the center and bend the sides in.

my head seems to be on the smaller side also since i have to pretty much put the grado's on their smallest setting plus bend the headband to get a good fit.

i'm thinking about order the beyer headband too

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 16
I just got these yesterday. I haven't bent them.
I wonder if there is a way to substitute a replacement headband/headband wire?

Or, severe methods: cut off vinyl headband pad, snip an inch or so off from the middle of the headband wire, tack weld the two halves back together, replace headband pad with a more cush replacement.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovegasoline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, severe methods: cut off vinyl headband pad, snip an inch or so off from the middle of the headband wire, tack weld the two halves back together, replace headband pad with a more cush replacement.

If you want to shorten the metal headband bar, there is a much easier and non-destructive way to do it.
Following the first step of this how to...
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/tut...s-pics-237221/
Once you "expose" the end of the headband bar, just cut it down appropriately and reinsert into the plastic block. Use a small dab of superglue to secure. You may need to trim the headband pad as well.
Of course, doing all this will permanently alter the look and fit of the headphone, so you will have a hard time selling them in the future.
bigsmile_face.gif

P.S. I no longer make nor do I have anymore of these DIY leather Grado headbands!

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 16
kontai69,
Superb modification and very clearly presented!
I'm good with my hands and have a shop so this may be the way to go...and I also have leather tools I haven't used in decades. I've haven't had an opportunity to read through the entire thread but that's a very creative solution.

I'm going to weigh my options. I may try the Beyerdynamics replacement pad first and if it doesn't do the job, go forward with your modification (only drawback of course is resale of my Grados).

BTW, does anyone have pics of the Grado wearing the Beyer headband pad? If so, could you please upload pics or provide a link?

Thank a bunch.

-Lovegasoline

Users who are viewing this thread

Back