Grado SR80 First Impressions
Oct 12, 2006 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pwntendo

New Head-Fier
Well, they came today just as I expected.

The first thing that surprised me was how light they were! The box felt like it was empty.

Right now it's plugged into my PC which has an X-Fi Xtrememusic sound card.

It's pretty good, drums and bass are alot more refined and clear. And guitars and stuff sound more floaty and dreamy.

But they I guess I was expecting a little too much because the sound wasn't breathtakingly good, maybe I need to wait until they burn in. Also, a bit uncomfortable, but I think I can get used to that.

Overall, good headphone.

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 9
Just wait until you get used to them, then try your old headphones again. You'll probably see a much larger difference in sound quality then.

Oct 12, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 9
I just got my SR80s last week and i'm loving em so far. There my first "real" set of headphones though so i can't really compare them to others. but i didn't realize headphones could actually have bass and "hit" like speakers could.

the bowl earpads do take a bit to get used to but they're growing on me.

Oct 12, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Burn-in will definitely have an effect. Right now you're not getting the "wow" factor because they're probably tinnier with slightly less bass than they will eventually have. If you really want "wow", though, the flat pads in my opinion balance the SR-80 sound to where it should be. It is far too harsh to my ears with the bowls, with not nearly enough bass for my liking.

Oct 12, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213
Just wait until you get used to them, then try your old headphones again. You'll probably see a much larger difference in sound quality then.

Seriously. When I put down my sf5pros and 580 and donned the ancient mdr-v300's. Think of a mudslide.

I cant believe before joining this place i used the worlds crappiest model of cans. Then switched to arguably the best.. Well before the 600 and 701 came out of course=D

My ears have been deflowered. The two extremems tasted...Sigh. what is there left on this planet?

Oct 12, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 9
Hmm.. I don't like how the bowls are so small that the speakers are pressed hard against your ear.

Some songs sound compleeeeeeeeeeetely different. Others sound pretty much the same. But everything definitely has a more vibrant feel.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 9
Bend the headband outward till the drivers don't push so hard on your ears. The headband is a nice solid metal band, it can take the bending. I have mine bent outwards so that both adjuster sticks are almost parallel, so that the drivers/pads exert very little pressure on my head. Very comfortable like this
smily_headphones1.gif

And yeah, when you get new headphones they don't sound as good as you think they should, but go back to the crappy ones and then you hear the amazing difference
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 9
^Exactly. When I first switched my cans from the super.fi 3s to my SR-60s, I thought, "Wow, these are SOOOOOO BASS HEAVY!!!" Then I got used to the sound, found out how great mids can sound, and put back on my UE 3s. I turned on the music and almost instantly took them out, I just couldn't go back.
rs1smilecopy.gif

That said, just get used to the sound and enjoy your new cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back