Grado SR60s OR Sennheiser HD555s???
Jan 9, 2008 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cowboyjack2008

New Head-Fier
Forgive a lurking noobie, but I haven't worn headphones in 30 years.

Grado SR 60s ($62) OR Sennheiser HD 555s ($99) ???

Other suggestions?

I listen to Jazz (Coltraine), Classical, Rock and Roll, Techno, vocals in any language other than English, folk, bluegrass and country, basically anything but heavy metal.

Listen at home and in (private) office at work.

Also need to listen to movies late at night when the wife is asleep.

Will use on cheap-o Pioneer stereo, MacBook, portable CD player and Ipod Nano.

Plan to eventually add a headphone amp.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 11
i would say the Sennheiser HD555's i own them they are great wait for other members input on the Grado Sr 60's

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 11
For one thing, there's a generous price difference between the two pairs of headphones. To even things up, you should be choosing between the HD-555 and the SR-80.

Sennheisers are great for their soundstage; you feel where certain sounds come from, which can make the experience very immersive. On the other side of things, Grados are very forward, progressive, in-your-face. While you don't have quite as much soundstage, you get more of a "front seat" experience, feeling much closer to the music.

The general idea is that while Grado excels at faster music, especially rock music, Sennheiser will give you the best of classical music, due to the smoother (not always good) nature of the sound that they produce, and the soundstage.

Finally, while some like how the SR feels on their head, others dislike it. With the Sennheiser HD-5X5 series, you're guaranteed excellent comfort. Many consider it to be the most comfortable pair of headphones in existence. Though I don't have the experience with so many different pairs of headphones, I can tell you that I'm probably more comfortable wearing my HD-555 than not wearing it, even without music. It's just so soft and light, with the perfect amount of pressure.

My final recommendation is that you find yourself an audio store, and that you try both of them for extended periods of time before committing. However, you'll be happy with either one!

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 11
I currently own both and much prefer the sound of the HD-555s to the SR-60. The HD-555 are a great set of multi-purpose cans that wont disappoint any newcomer. It's what got me into the hobby!

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 11
I would go with the HD555 as well, they are more refined, and comfortable. The SR60's can rock out, but arent really the most comfortable cans around, and will do great with rock, but not much else. The 555 will sound decent with most music, I believe they are excellent for gaming and movies, since you mentioned movies, this should clearly go in favour of the 555 IMHO.

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 11
I just noticed that you needed to watch movies when your wife is asleep. Both cans mentioned are open, they WILL leak sound. SR60 to a greater extent than the HD555. You should seriously consider the Audio Technica A700 or even the A500 if your budget is tighter. They will be much more suitable for covert ops

As for SQ, I personally rate A700 higher than both SR60 and HD555. Dont know abt the A500 though.

But they are huge, and tagging them along might be tough if you plan to take them to work everyday or something. They are ideal if you leave them in one place.

Jan 10, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 11
You might do a search on both. I think you'll find that most consider the Grados superb for metal and similar forms. Frequent complaints against the Grados are comfort and they can be fatiguing after extended listening. The 555s are more of a general purpose headphone with a more laid back sound. they may not be best in class in any particular category but they do well in just about every category. The 555s are also considered to be very comfortable and are not fatiguing after extended listening. The 555s are also often recommended for watching movies more then others in its price class. I'm not speaking from personal experience, this is what I've gleaned from these forums and reviews elsewhere on the web. I think that considering the wide range of your musical taste, the 555s would your best bet of the two.

Also I don't think that open cans will be a problem unless your wife is sleeping in the same room or you play your music extremely loud.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 11
I actually have comfort issues with the HD555/HD595, the way they are constructed the indentation on the inside of the earpiece rubs against my ear, it's really annoying. Besides that they are an enjoyable heaphone, they are very light on the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back