Grado SR60's on steriods???
Aug 29, 2009 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

amham

100+ Head-Fier
I have owned 60's for about 10 years and always go back to them for the light weight comfort and SQ. I'm looking for a recommendation within the Grado line for similar SQ only with much improved performance. Particularly, improvement in the bass, midrange. The highs are about as extended as I would like so no SR 325is or similar sound please (in fact, I returned the 325is, the irritating high end was much more than I could stand...horrible phones!). BTW, Senn 650's are my current reference and exactly the SQ I appreciate most. Thanks!

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 16
Well, maybe this isn't too helpful of a suggestion, but I absolutely LOVED my pair of HF-1's. Maybe the somewhat-widely-avaialble HF-2's offer similar sound? The HF-1 sounds nice and relatively warm to me, but still with a sharp high-end that makes the details really pop. I never felt fatigue with the HF-1.

I was at a shop yesterday and auditioned a pair of 325i's, couldn't stand them! The salesman seemed to think I was dumb for preferring the sound of my E500's, but honestly, the 325i is way too bright for me. The SR-60 and HF-1 are perfect for my tastes.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 16
I own and love both the 650s and 325i goldies, so I don't know how closely our preferences match. What amp did you drive the 325is from? (they need one with even a bit of oopmph) What volume do you listen? I find the 325i sounds beautiful at low to medium volume and gets harsh when pumped.

Also, have you tried the RS-1? Pricey, I know, but the best choice ahead of the 325i.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 16
My HF-1's with flat pads sound damn good to me, and have boatloads more bass than most of the current Grados.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own and love both the 650s and 325i goldies, so I don't know how closely our preferences match. What amp did you drive the 325is from? (they need one with even a bit of oopmph) What volume do you listen? I find the 325i sounds beautiful at low to medium volume and gets harsh when pumped.

Also, have you tried the RS-1? Pricey, I know, but the best choice ahead of the 325i.

The amps were either a LDMKIVSE, Benchmark DAC or iBasso D10 none of which made the 325is listenable...just nothing but sibilance and irritating, grating treble. Volume, very moderate.

I have not tried the RS-1 nor the HF-1 that was suggested. Problem is no dealer nearby that carries the high-end Grados.

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 16
I recommend talking to Joneeboi about modding the SR-60. In my short time spent with them I was very impressed with their bass, etc. and it would hurt your wallet significantly less than new cans!

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 16
What's your budget? The SR225 could be a good choice. It has more bass and is smoother than the SR60, but not as bright as the 325i. You could also go for the RS1, HF2, HF1, etc., but it depends on how much you want to spend. For an amp, I would highly recommend the Little Dot I+. Your MK IV SE was only capable of outputting 100mW with 32ohm 'phones, where as the LD I+ can output 800mW at 32ohm.

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 16
I did compare my LD MKIV SE vs LD I+ with Grado RS-2, RS-1 and Alessandro MS-Pro and I found that LD I+ may have a bit more power in the bass and energetic sound, but MKIV SE had much more small details in the sound and it was clearly better amp. I remember that both amps had russian 6Zh1P-EV tubes at that time and otherwise they were stock.

Zero DAC + LD MKIV SE + Alessandro MS-Pro = pure heaven IMO

I regret very much the fact that I sold my MS-Pro's, hopefully HF-2's will cure it.

Aug 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 16
The SR-225i is a good upgrade and has ore energy than a SR-60. Another thought is the HD600, I use them and love them for rock/metal. I find they have good energy.

Eventually I'd say get an amp, preferably solid state for both. I have a VHP-2 and it sounds fantastic with the SR-225i/HD600. Another great amp for Grado's is the X-CanV8P.

Aug 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 16
Grado SR 325i's?

I personally think that they have a lot more aggressive sound over the SR-60. Some would even call overly bright, but very engaging and fast (as all Grados seem to be to me).

I think you should give 'em a try.

Nylan

Aug 30, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado SR 325i's?

I personally think that they have a lot more aggressive sound over the SR-60. Some would even call overly bright, but very engaging and fast (as all Grados seem to be to me).

I think you should give 'em a try.

Nylan

Good phone as well. I didn't find them all that bright at all actually. They were very nice indeed.

Aug 30, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 16
Have you considered the RS-1? I compared the pair I used to have to the SR-60, and found them similar, but a lot more detailed and a lot more fun. Used pairs are going for decent prices now, too. You might also want to think about putting them on a nice tube amp, as well. If you get the right one, tubes really enhance the Grado sound.

Aug 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks to all that have replied. Let me reiterate my current equipment status and listening bias: I had the 325is and they were very, very bright to my ears even with the LDMKIVSE (plenty of power to drive them). The solid state Benchmark headphone amp will drive most anything cleanly so amplification was not an issue IMHO. I own and enjoy the Senn 650 so I think the 600 will be redundant. My budget is open, so if it sounds good it is a candidate (don't prefer electrostatics for the very reason I got rid of the 325is, too much high end energy. I've owned various Stax and just got rid of my 15+ year old Koss 950 after a total replacement with their unparalleled warranty...reason enough to buy Koss!). What I'm really asking is which Grado is the warmest, smoothest, most Senn like sound of the line? I think my next attempt will be a Denon AH-D7000 for the bass and closed SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back