Grado SR60i Review
Apr 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FlobHobNob

100+ Head-Fier

To start off, this was my first set of audiophile headphones and let me tell you I was blown away. I've had them for about two years now and I havn't had many complants. As I've already stated, these are the headphones that got me into listening to music the right way. To give you a backround check I'll give you a  list of headphones that I've auditioned; Koss Dj pro 100, Beats by Dre studio and solo, Bose QC15, Sennheiser hd598, and multiple Skullcandy's ( sadly). So one with the review.

Comfort ; The comfort of these headphones was good. The I pads(comfies)where suprisingly comfortable for being supra oral, but sometimes I found my ears being  itchy after about 2 hours of listening, but overall I found them comfortable.

Isolation; This is one of these headphones weaker points. However these are open headphones, so I didnt really expect great Isolation and you shouldn't but these for that. So that means these aren't very portable either because of one other big reason.

Leakage; I wouldnt normal post this one a review, but holy crap. These headphones are like portable stereos when you are listening to music at a semi loud listening level. It's almost comical and this is the main reason these arn't portable.

Soundstage; The sound stage on this is like you are sitting on the stage and the band is playing around, not great but ok. I have to add  that all the instuments are placed exactly where I want them and the imaging of the headphones is simply fantastic.

The Sound

The lows; If I had to describe these in one word, that word would be tight. They dont seem to extend super deep but they pack a punch. Many people would say that these are "bass-light", but I have to dissagree with them.I wouldnt recommend  these for rap, dubstep, or electronica, but the have enough bass for what I listen to( rock). I meen of course you can definetly more bass than what these have to offer but the quality of the bass is good.

Mids; This is where these headphones really shine and the reason I bought them. No other brand can replicate the sound of a guitar like Grados, and I stand by my statement. Not only do they do guitars well but vocals, saxaphones, you name it all sound great on these cans. These headphones have better mids than some of my 300 dollar headphones.

Highs; The highs on the headphones are prestine. They are very rarly harsh and fatiging. Cymbols, sirens flutes, all sound great on these headphones.
Genre Recommendation; I would recommend these to anyone whos loves rock music, blues, and jazz. These are very aggresive sounding witch is why the are great for rock. I woundn't recommend these for hip hop or rap or anything that requires bass because I think you may be unsatisfide
The Jist; Overall I  think these are great headphones for 80 dollars and for that price point I think are the king. For fast music under 100 it doesn't  get much better than this.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 13
Nice review! When I started this little journey through headphones a few months ago, I purchased four or five of the entry level cans from companies like AKG, Sennheiser, Ultrasone, MEElectronics, and Beyerdynamic. I preferred my Grado 80s to all of them, and I was shocked how much in love with them I became for a $99 headphone. I have not heard the 60s, but my understanding is that they are nearly identical to the 80s with just a little less bass extension.

The only thing I would add to your review is imaging. I feel this is one of the main strengths of the Grados. As you pointed out, the sound stage is not huge. But the placement of instruments and vocals in space is amazingly strong, IMO. There isn't a single plane of sound...the instruments are near and far, left and right, where they ought to be. Vocals are typically very solid in the center, which is also appropriate. This is one quality that stood out to me immediately, and I never ceased to be impressed with each subsequent listen.

Great job!

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the constuctive critism. I forgot all about imaging when I made this review,oh well I  probaly add that in there  And I have to agree, Grados  may be my favorite headphones when I'm listening to my music at home. I've yet to find something for portable use though because of  my love for the Grado sound.

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 13
I've Heard Good things about Grado, I comparing a few differnt Cans atm trying to find something good for Jazz and Classical, Fostex T50RP and Audio Technica ATH AD700 are what I'm also looking at maybe Grado is the way I need to go :3

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #5 of 13
Ty for review, well composed and good info.

smily_headphones1.gif

My short experience with the 60s was very pleasant. Very good headphones, not only good because they're cheap.

Cheers!

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 13
@Mshenay
              Grados do jazz very well in my opinion, but they may be lacking the soundstage and bass if you really listen  to a lot of classical. Of course I would  love to recommend a grado. I havn't personally  auditioned the audio technica ath a700 but I've heard its more laid back and has a giant soundstage. I think it sounds like exactly what you are looking for. But if you really want a Grado, they aren't awefull for classical, I'm perfectly happen how they sound for it

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 13

I  added the imaging under the soundstage because I didnt think I had to make a new section

Quote:
Nice review! When I started this little journey through headphones a few months ago, I purchased four or five of the entry level cans from companies like AKG, Sennheiser, Ultrasone, MEElectronics, and Beyerdynamic. I preferred my Grado 80s to all of them, and I was shocked how much in love with them I became for a $99 headphone. I have not heard the 60s, but my understanding is that they are nearly identical to the 80s with just a little less bass extension.

The only thing I would add to your review is imaging. I feel this is one of the main strengths of the Grados. As you pointed out, the sound stage is not huge. But the placement of instruments and vocals in space is amazingly strong, IMO. There isn't a single plane of sound...the instruments are near and far, left and right, where they ought to be. Vocals are typically very solid in the center, which is also appropriate. This is one quality that stood out to me immediately, and I never ceased to be impressed with each subsequent listen.

Great job!

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 13
Try the G pads, apparently they widen the soundstage and tighten bass, thats what I read in a review in amazon. I wanted to get a grado but the highs and the build just kept me away, for some reason I liked the aesthetics though :$

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I've Heard Good things about Grado, I comparing a few differnt Cans atm trying to find something good for Jazz and Classical, Fostex T50RP and Audio Technica ATH AD700 are what I'm also looking at maybe Grado is the way I need to go :3

Perhaps you should look at the Sennheiser HD558, they'll suit your music better, the T50rp is an excellent can when modded, AD700 not sure if it'll be good for jazz or classical.

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Try the G pads, apparently they widen the soundstage and tighten bass, thats what I read in a review in amazon. I wanted to get a grado but the highs and the build just kept me away, for some reason I liked the aesthetics though :$

I 'm really tempted to try new pads as well I've heard they improve the bass greatly, but I'm also thinking about buying some m50's I heard they sound great as well for on the go listening.

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 13
Great review! The SR60 is definitely one of my all time favorites, and I find myself using it more than any other headphone in my inventory, including my Sennheiser HD580s (which I paid more than twice as much for). Even though I have heard headphones that are technically superior, I have yet to find one that I enjoy more than the SR60. I might give the RS1 an addition sometime, but for now I'll stick with the SR60. 
smily_headphones1.gif

In terms of comfort, I definitely prefer the L-cush (bowl pads) to the stock pads. They really improve the midrange (although it is very good as it is), and I can wear them longer because they distribute the pressure around the outer edges of my ears rather than right on the middle.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Great review! The SR60 is definitely one of my all time favorites, and I find myself using it more than any other headphone in my inventory, including my Sennheiser HD580s (which I paid more than twice as much for). Even though I have heard headphones that are technically superior, I have yet to find one that I enjoy more than the SR60. I might give the RS1 an addition sometime, but for now I'll stick with the SR60. 
smily_headphones1.gif

In terms of comfort, I definitely prefer the L-cush (bowl pads) to the stock pads. They really improve the midrange (although it is very good as it is), and I can wear them longer because they distribute the pressure around the outer edges of my ears rather than right on the middle.

I totally agree, this headphones have a very like able sound  to them and I probably will try a bunch of different pads, I've heard they make a huge difference.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back