Grado SR60i or Koss UR-40? Or something else?
Jun 1, 2012 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

JayNetTech5

100+ Head-Fier
I need a secondary budget headphone for listening. Which one do you think will be better? The Koss is $28.99, while the Grado is around $79.99

I want open back designs for the spacious sound.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 32
I am looking for something with a more spacious surround sound other than ultrasones. I hear the open-back headphones give you that. My budget is around $10-$90. Anything else anyone recommend that I may check out in that price range? What delivers a very clear spacious sound? Kinda like you are in a movie theater and you have the music coming from all directions.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 32
I've never heard a grado but I will repeat what everybody else says about their soundstage being small for an open can.  Also do note that you won't get extreme differences from headphone to headphone in terms of soundstage size-- not to the effect of surround sound anyways.  You're much better off getting a surround sound processor like dolby headphone for the surround sound experience.

Of course, dolby headphone only amplifies the headphone's natural soundstage, so having a headphone with large soundstage to begin with helps a good deal.  I'd recommend AD700.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 32
I am looking for something with a more spacious surround sound other than ultrasones. I hear the open-back headphones give you that. My budget is around $10-$90. Anything else anyone recommend that I may check out in that price range? What delivers a very clear spacious sound? Kinda like you are in a movie theater and you have the music coming from all directions.

What headphones are you starting with?

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 32
God, I hate sennheiser's materials and cheap chords. My mother bought a pair of of bestbuy for $60 and the wire was like floss. lol. I don't know, maybe they have other ones that are different.

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 32
God, I hate sennheiser's materials and cheap chords. My mother bought a pair of of bestbuy for $60 and the wire was like floss. lol. I don't know, maybe they have other ones that are different.

That seems...somewhat generalized and inaccurate. Have no idea what model you're even talking about, so I'm basically apt to dismiss it.

Try the HD 280 Pro if you want a closed can, or the 555 if you want an open can. Really within your budget, there's not going to be an offering that doesn't mean compromise in some way or another. If you want "clean and detailed" as well as "comfortable" I would suggest saving your pennies and spending more. :xf_eek:

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:
That seems...somewhat generalized and inaccurate. Have no idea what model you're even talking about, so I'm basically apt to dismiss it.
Try the HD 280 Pro if you want a closed can, or the 555 if you want an open can. Really within your budget, there's not going to be an offering that doesn't mean compromise in some way or another. If you want "clean and detailed" as well as "comfortable" I would suggest saving your pennies and spending more.
redface.gif

I think the ones that were really heap were the HD 419 or  HD428 S

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 32
I think the ones that were really heap were the HD 419 or  HD428 S

Hard to say, the 280 are a studio phone and fairly robust, and the 500 series are well put together for their price. If you're not a fan of the build quality of entry and mid-range Sennheiser products, don't even think about Koss or Grado.

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:
Hard to say, the 280 are a studio phone and fairly robust, and the 500 series are well put together for their price. If you're not a fan of the build quality of entry and mid-range Sennheiser products, don't even think about Koss or Grado.

Well, I am saying this because I bought a pair of ultrasone HFi-450 which are built like a tank and had a thick cord with tension relief; the sennheisers didn't. It's just a personal preference I guess. Of course, it feeling cheap doesn't mean it's not going to last long so idk.

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #13 of 32
Well, I am saying this because I bought a pair of ultrasone HFi-450 which are built like a tank and had a thick cord with tension relief; the sennheisers didn't. It's just a personal preference I guess. Of course, it feeling cheap doesn't mean it's not going to last long so idk.

Not all Sennheiser products are uniform in their build quality - they have a huge gradient across model ranges and prices. You're putting far too much weight on that single experience with what was probably one of their cheapest models. It does not inform all of their products.

If such build quality concerns bug you, avoid Koss (they tend to use very light-weight plastics on the cheaper units) and Grado (which can be inconsistent in their build (at any price point)). The higher end Sennheisers are uniform and well put together.

Sound-wise, the Grado cans are very "closed in" sounding, despite being open, due to their design. The Koss dynamics are fairly polarizing and don't follow any rhyme or reason in their overall sound signature. Aside from the (discontinued) A/250, I'm not aware of an open, around-ear, model that many people gravitate towards. Sennheiser's 500 and 600 series (and the 280) will not be "muddy" but retain a relatively smooth/laid-back sound, instead of the aggressive/harsh sound that you'll get from Beyerdynamic (let me qualify: I'm not a Beyer fan) or (potentially) Grado.

AKG is worth consideration, but they have nothing in your price range. Same goes for Sony, Kenwood, STAX, and so on.

If you want the thing to feel like it could survive a nuclear war, Ultrasone is one of your best options - Beyerdynamic is probably next closest on that list (but I don't think the DT880 will fit into your price range).

So the HD 280 or HD 555/558 are worth considering, is my point.

I'd also suggest the Bose AE2, but the build quality is not the highest; they have a good sound-stage though, and are relatively balanced (especially in their price range). Not perfect, but again, nothing at this level really will be (IME you either sacrifice build quality or sound quality, and when it comes to sound quality, it's usually at one extreme of the FR).

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:
Not all Sennheiser products are uniform in their build quality - they have a huge gradient across model ranges and prices. You're putting far too much weight on that single experience with what was probably one of their cheapest models. It does not inform all of their products.
If such build quality concerns bug you, avoid Koss (they tend to use very light-weight plastics on the cheaper units) and Grado (which can be inconsistent in their build (at any price point)). The higher end Sennheisers are uniform and well put together.
Sound-wise, the Grado cans are very "closed in" sounding, despite being open, due to their design. The Koss dynamics are fairly polarizing and don't follow any rhyme or reason in their overall sound signature. Aside from the (discontinued) A/250, I'm not aware of an open, around-ear, model that many people gravitate towards. Sennheiser's 500 and 600 series (and the 280) will not be "muddy" but retain a relatively smooth/laid-back sound, instead of the aggressive/harsh sound that you'll get from Beyerdynamic (let me qualify: I'm not a Beyer fan) or (potentially) Grado.
AKG is worth consideration, but they have nothing in your price range. Same goes for Sony, Kenwood, STAX, and so on.
If you want the thing to feel like it could survive a nuclear war, Ultrasone is one of your best options - Beyerdynamic is probably next closest on that list (but I don't think the DT880 will fit into your price range).
So the HD 280 or HD 555/558 are worth considering, is my point.
I'd also suggest the Bose AE2, but the build quality is not the highest; they have a good sound-stage though, and are relatively balanced (especially in their price range). Not perfect, but again, nothing at this level really will be (IME you either sacrifice build quality or sound quality, and when it comes to sound quality, it's usually at one extreme of the FR).

I was actually considering the portapro. I don't care if it feels a little flimsy, as long as it holds up and doesn't short out or snap.

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 32
I wouldn't describe the lower level Grados as "closed-in", so much as close to the action.  There are a lot of headphones that have a boxed in feeling, which I don't really get with my SR60i...there still seems to be some airiness. 

The soundstage of this level Grado is intentionally made in this manner, to make you feel like you are on the stage with the performer, so its a design choice rather than a liability.  You may or may not like the effect.

I also disagree with the assessment that they are flimsy.  Less than handsome, old-fashioned, not entirely comfortable, a bit crude in their adjustments...those I can agree with.  But they are not made with poor quality materials.

The Porta Pro's aren't as good overall in sound quality.  They are warmer, have a lot more bass, but the highs fall off and they don't have the same clarity across the board.  I also had issues with the cord on my set.  I've replaced them twice because sound cut out on the left earpiece.  I don't think the strain relief is as good as it should be.  Koss replaced the set both times under warranty, but I was still out shipping.

You might want to consider the semi-open Superlux 668b or Samson 850. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back