grado sr60 upgrade
Apr 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

qwerty99

New Head-Fier
hi, im looking to upgrade from my grado sr60s. i listen to mostly rock but a little bit of rap and pop mixed in. my budget is around $150 but it can be expanded a little if a lower end amp is needed. they will be powered by my pc.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 16
Do you want closed back headphones, or open like your Grado set?  Do you want them to sit on the ear like the SR60i or over and around the ear (circumaural)?

Are you looking for a different sound?  More bass perhaps?  Or wider soundstage?

There are a dozen or more different headphones in that price range that can be recommended, depending on your tastes and needs.  Take a look through this guide and see if any of them in the Entry Level group jump out at you:  http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 16
thank you for the quick reply. the one that interests me the most is the sr80, however i heard that it is only a minor upgrade from the sr60. is their a reason why he didnt post anything about the sr125? i like the grado sound signature alot.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
Heya,

I would look for a set of used Beyer DT770's. Also look at the Brainwavz HM5. Also explore a used Sennheiser HD598.

Very best,

i have never listned to them but i thought that the dt770 had a recessed midrange- which i do not like at all- and unless their is a sale the hd598 is too far out of my price range. o, i forgot to mention that i am uncomfortable buying used products.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 16
The SR125i seem to be the least liked of the SR line.  Never heard them personally, just relating general sentiment around here.

You might want to consider the Alessandro MS1 also.  http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 16
The sr125i is a great headphone. but apparently, the sr225i is a larger improvement and is the more sensible of the two to buy. that being said, I was extremely pleased with my sr125i and can say that you will love it too!

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
The SR125i seem to be the least liked of the SR line.  Never heard them personally, just relating general sentiment around here.

You might want to consider the Alessandro MS1 also.  http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

i never really took interst in the ms1 because i heard that it is not as aggressive and as fun as a grado

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 16
I made the jump from the sr60 to the sr225i unamped and I have been very pleased with the upgrade in sound. The sound is much more refined. The only thing you may notice upon listening to the 225 at first is a lower quantity of bass when compared to the 60, largely due to the flat pads vs bowl pads. Those B stock 225s are very tempting, especially considering it's just the box that's dinged. If I didn't already own a pair, I'd jump all over that deal.

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
I made the jump from the sr60 to the sr225i unamped and I have been very pleased with the upgrade in sound. The sound is much more refined. The only thing you may notice upon listening to the 225 at first is a lower quantity of bass when compared to the 60, largely due to the flat pads vs bowl pads. Those B stock 225s are very tempting, especially considering it's just the box that's dinged. If I didn't already own a pair, I'd jump all over that deal.

do u know of a good amp/dac around $50 that has a bass booster?

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
do u use an amp with your 125?

i did, but the biggest thing that I did to it was modify it with woodied shells. I'd highly advise you to look into modifying your grado's. it's a fun and very pleasurable experience

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 16
You could try an HD558 and remove the foam inside which will make it sound similar to a 598 if not the same since I think they share similar drivers, do some fact digging in head-fi there was a thread, that thread helped me choose the 558 over the 598 although I'd get the 598 if I could cus its sexy like that !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back