Grado SR60...got them! First Impressions
Dec 17, 2007 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

SBD

500+ Head-Fier
My SR60's came here pretty fast (ordered on Friday) from TTVJ. Special thanks to FeedMeTrance and thanks BrookR1 too.
Comfort/First impressions:

First thing I noticed was that they really weren't uncomfortable like people say. They're not tight or scratchy at all.
biggrin.gif

Right, so I played something off my ipod and sound comes out...Great! Take them off and sound comes out....not great. I could hear the words and everything clearly with them off. They leak like speakers.

Sound:
EDIT:
okay, after "burning them in", here's a short SQ followup:

The volume softens a lot compared to ibuds and a ton of IEMs. They're a bit more power hungry...probably expected.
The sound itself also sounded "power hungry" at first but after getting a good listen--
Quote:

I'm mistaking actual clarity as "lacking" something. It definitely has real defined voices and instruments. I'm guessing that's the "airy" can sound I'm not so used to. I've always used and tried IEMs but I'm loving this Grado sound.

Conclusion
:
I love my grados, small chunk of change for great sound! plus they keep my ears warm...

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SR60's came here pretty fast (ordered on Friday) from TTVJ. Special thanks to FeedMeTrance and thanks BrookR1 too.
First impressions:

are they really that good?? no words can describe them?

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are they really that good?? no words can describe them?

sorry bout that. My keyboard went haywire and posted it.
it's up now

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 33
Glad to hear that you are not "put off" by the grado pads. You'll have to let us know what you think of the SQ. If you have any other headphones (even the ibuds), try to do a comparison and let us know how they differ.

I would recommend some kind of portable amp. It doesn't have to be super expensive. A "mint tin" Cmoy for $50 would work just fine (for now). Even if you never use it outside, it will help your headphones reach their full potential.

Yet, I imagine that you decided to buy the SR 60 because is does not really require an amp. Oh well...I thought I'd try.

Nylan

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 33
You're right. I went the Grado way for price and no "need" of an amp. I think the comfort is partly the shape of my head so it doesn't clamp on.

but I think I'm more of an IEM guy regardless of sound (considering cans sound DIFFERENT, not only "better"). lets just see after they're burned in...

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First impressions:

First thing I noticed was that they really weren't uncomfortable like people say. They're not tight or scratchy at all.
biggrin.gif

Right, so I played something off my ipod and sound comes out...Great! Take them off and sound comes out....not great. I could hear the words and everything clearly with them off. They leak like small speakers.
Other than that I find no problems. I'll have to burn them first, right now I'm uncertain about initial SQ.

I also find the comfies on the SR60s to be quite comfortable. It is the bowls I can't deal with. :/

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 33
If I could get bowls, I'd just get the SR80.
If I could get an amp, I'd just um...get one.

Anything I upgrade to will require an amp and I'm not willing to go there, especially now. My next step is definitely IEMs for portable. Needs are before wants.

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #13 of 33
bowls suck hehe. imho of course ymmv.
biggrin.gif
I love the grado sound but i have to say that i reach for portapros over them any day because of the portability and the comfort though i did find the comfies quite... comfy.

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by RBYRER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, the comfies are the way to go. The bowels are too uncomfortable after about thirty minutes or so. Believe me my ears feel hot and are very painful.

I've owned Grados for some time now and they've never affected my bowels in any way, even after sitting on them for extended listening sessions.

Sorry, RBYRER, I couldn't resist your typo. I'm just bustin' ya'!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back