Grado SR60...got them! First Impressions
Dec 18, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SR60's came here pretty fast (ordered on Friday) from TTVJ. Special thanks to FeedMeTrance and thanks BrookR1 too.
First impressions:

First thing I noticed was that they really weren't uncomfortable like people say. They're not tight or scratchy at all.
biggrin.gif

Right, so I played something off my ipod and sound comes out...Great! Take them off and sound comes out....not great. I could hear the words and everything clearly with them off. They leak like small speakers.
Other than that I find no problems. I'll have to burn them in first.

This is a classic response for a first experience of the SR-60; nice sound, not as uncomfortable as you'd heard, but leak even more than you expected. Later, if you're like me you'll find you don't mind the leakage (though others around you will) but can't wear them for more than about an hour before your ears start to hurt. But still, a great choice and a nice holiday treat. Enjoy, SBD.

ps, they will sound better with a portable amp, a little fuller and more lively, but not by a mile-- and anyway, you'll be able to appreciate that change better once you're really used to them unamped. Head-fi is as much about enjoying the stages in between as the upgrades themselves, and loving the SR-60 unamped and then all over again amped is a fine example.

Dec 18, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #20 of 33
I got my very own pair of SR60's a few days ago and my first impression is almost exactly the same as your's.

The only other complain i have is that they ruin my hair
tongue.gif
as i was previously using IEM's. But thats a sacrifice im willing to make

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

If I could get bowls, I'd just get the SR80.
If I could get an amp, I'd just um...get one.

Anything I upgrade to will require an amp and I'm not willing to go there, especially now. My next step is definitely IEMs for portable. Needs are before wants.

Some say the grado sr60s sound very similar to the sr80s with bowls. Also do Grados need burn in? I thought they didn't.

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #22 of 33
Yes...the SR-60s do sound similar to the SR-80s with bowls, but the bowls really change (for the better IMO) the sonic signature of the headphones. Mine sounded great out of the box. I think it's brain burn in to get used to the sound.

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #23 of 33
I wore these for over an hour and comfort really wasn't a problem. I actually fell asleep and woke up to post this. They're really light and all I feel is comfy foam against my ears. Maybe b/c I got a skinny head...

Also, sq is in a word, good. The volume went down some from my marshmallows but they definitely sound more like real speakers than any high-end IEMs I've tried. I would still prefer good IEMs when I don't want to stop to "appreciate" the music.

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

My SR60's came here pretty fast (ordered on Friday)

First thing I noticed was that they really weren't uncomfortable like people say. They're not tight or scratchy at all.
biggrin.gif

en, they are more comf than most IEM
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

yeah. I think they're a bit lacking in bass for my tastes although it's really clean.
but on instrument showy songs, piano,sax, etc. sounds amazing.

Yup I agree. But I personally think the amount of bass in the Grados I currently own (iGrado, SR80, and SR225) is just fine. And they have a good amount more bass than my AKG K701's.

Yes, on (to use your term) instrument showy songs, Grados rock!

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #27 of 33
I love the sounds of drums. Try listening to some Billy cobham with some 225's or 80's. Awesome.

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #28 of 33
where is the cheapest place to get bowls for the sr60? I find the comfies to be unfatiguing, but I'd like to see how the bowls affect the sound and if they agree with me comfort-wise
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #29 of 33
ttvj.com?

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ttvj.com?

todd the vinyl junkie...he's a head-fi sponsor and you can get to his site using one of the sponsor links off to the right.

i, too, love the sr-60 (w/reverse modded hd-414 pads). it's one of my must-have headphones and think they're the best value headphones period. so much sound for so little dough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back