Grado SR60 and Alessandro MS1 questions (NYC)
Sep 13, 2004 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

hazmat

100+ Head-Fier
I need a nice pair of phones for home use, mostly connected to my computer for editing and listening to music. I have Etymotic ER-4Ps for portable use with my iPod. People really seem to like the two headphones mentioned in the subject. I would like to keep it under $100. Are the MS1s really $25 better (with shipping) than the SR60s? And anyone know where I could hear these headphones in NYC?

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 18
Sadly, Alessandro products are not available at local dealerships, but instead at their website. I do have the ms-1, but have never heard the sr-60, so I won't even bother chiming in with a comparison. All I can say is, I definitely feel like I didn't waste any money. (sound-wise, that is. I still feel the lower end Grados have poor build quality)

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks. So you feel like the MS-1 have a nice tight open sound to them? I heard the Sennheiser HD-202s and found the bass really boomy. The PX-100s were more to my liking, as far as characteristics.

And the MS-1 don't need an amp to drive them? I wouldn't be using one.

Also, what's the standard connector on it? 1/8" or 1/4"? Their web site doesn't make it very clear.

Thanks again.

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 18
When you order the MS-1 from their website, you can choose which plug you want. I picked the 1/8" and it comes with a 1/4" adapter

Sep 13, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 18
hey mazmat how r u?
I own the Alessandro MS-1 and am very happy with the headphones performance (although im sending them off later today as part of my upgrado to the MS-2
rs1smile.gif
). From my experiences with these headphones they certainly do not have the harsh treble that many people dislike in the grado lower end series and acording to many owners have the same characteristics as the SR 80/SR 125 without the harsh upper region.

Doing a search of these forums will give you some more information and impressions of the MS-1's and some comparisons to the SR series.

cheers
-jake

Sep 13, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 18
My impressions of the ms-1 (using modded ratshack pads)

It definitely has a very warm sound, which I enjoy a lot, as well as still being a bright phone. The bass is tight, but doesn't go as deep as the sr-225, but some of the bass detail is lost on more complex passages. (example being a barely audible bass guitar) I feel the shure e2c bests it at detail, though not by very much. That might be attributed to the isolation. I really love the mid-rage, it makes electric guitars just sound so much fun. The highs are, what I feel, the worst sound aspect of the headphone. It's rolled off and slightly grainy compared to the sr-225. Soundstage is minimal, but collapses even further with the use of the modded ratshack pads.

Overall, its a warm, fun sounding can with a high-end that could be cleaned up a little bit. I think its a great starter can for an aspiring Team Grado member. I do like the grado sr-225 which I listened to, but the ms-1 is still a good headphone for $100.

edit - I use them unamped out of my chaintech av-710, but am acquiring an amp VERY soon. I'll tell you how it goes once I get the amp.

Sep 13, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for the replies, guys. One question: are the MS1's (or SR60's for that matter) CRISP? What I mean is that I love nice sharp crisp highs (but not harsh), like when drums get hit. What I hate about some headphones is that these highs sound as if they were a sharp point that had gotten smoothed off.

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 18
Well hell, I took a chance and ordered the MS-1s today. Instinct told me to do it and I can usually trust mine pretty well. Plus they give you a one-week trial. Only problem is that they are out of stock and said they should go out by the end of the week or next week. Crap.
frown.gif

Oh well. Thanks again for the replies. Can't wait to hear these.

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 18
Lol, head-fi bought them out of both the MS-1 and the MS-2s eh? I bet right now Grado is scratching their heads and saying "um, what's going on?"

To answer your question, the MS-1 has rolled-off highs compared to the "Gratos" which isn't a bad thing - it's a preference thing. But its highs are still crisp and clear when compared to non-Grados.

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 18
If you get MS1s, do yourself a favor and get the yellow senn pads
($7 shipped).Forget the Flats, you can probably get a used sr-225 for the combined price ($140). Remember the sound of the MS1 also lies in the source you are using (can't comment, never tried a chaintech). I've only used them with a crappy cd player/receiver and mp3 player (unamped), but they still sounded good.

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 18
What do these yellow Sennheiser pads do for you? And where would I get them? I could see if my roommate can get them. He used to work for Sennheiser. He's got almost every one of their headphones sitting around his room.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #12 of 18
hazmat, you can try out the Grados at Sound by Singer off of Union Square (betw. U.Sq. West and 5th, on 16-I guess). And when you go in, make sure you have a kleenex to wipe the drool, they've got lotsa goodies.

I dunno about the MS-1, but I'd get the SR-80 over the SR-60. You can do A-B tests till kingdom come but overall the 80 is more pleasurable to listen to, IMO.

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by hazmat
What do these yellow Sennheiser pads do for you? And where would I get them? I could see if my roommate can get them. He used to work for Sennheiser. He's got almost every one of their headphones sitting around his room.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=019545

They're much more comfortable, and the SQ is a better than the comfies. (you can cut a hole in them if you want to as well). They're realy cheap, so if you don't like em, you're not at a loss.

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=019545

They're much more comfortable, and the SQ is a better than the comfies. (you can cut a hole in them if you want to as well). They're realy cheap, so if you don't like em, you're not at a loss.

Thanks.

Sorry, but what is SQ? All I could find was Stereo Quadraphonic.

And what about cutting a hole in them? Are things muffled otherwise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back