Grado SR60/80 vs AKG 240S
Dec 4, 2007 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Iamgag7

New Head-Fier
Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

SR60: freq response 20hz-20khz 32 ohm impedence

K240S: 15hz- 25khz 55ohm impedence

I am looking for near neutral response cans for music production (all done on PC, no live instruments) for on the go..(i.e. portable, NO MONITORS) Also, i dont use an AMP.

I understand the k240 are somewhat a studio standard, but I've heard great things about the Grado SR60...and the graph as above looks more linear and near flat...

So, if the Grados are a better choice..which ones? SR60 OR SR80? or I've heard audio technica m40fs are nice and flat too, any comments?

thank you!

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 14
I listened to these two (SR80 and 240S) in a store very briefly. AKG sounded very warm and Grado was less warm, but a bit to warm too.

AKG is more comfy. If I had to choose between these two, I'd choose Grado though. From a brief comparison (a couple of minutes each). And Grado sounded more neutral.

Dec 4, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 14
AKG K240 Studio is known to be the worst version of all K240's. You should rather look for K240 Monitor or (if you can bear 600 ohm of impedance) AKG K240DF.

From the other two - SR80 are colder, with better extension on both ends while SR60 are warmer and darker, especially when you replace the comfy pads for bowls or make another mod. I prefer SR60's over the 80's but comfies replacement is recommended. With comfies, they sound birght and lack bass extension.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 14
IMO, the Grado SR-60 are uncomfortable, poorly put together, fatiguing and have no soundstage. The AKG 240S are comfortable, easy to listen to and well built. They may no feel spectacular but you will not get tired.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 14
Good question. Free bump for ya..

I've been eyeing some 240's lately, and wonder how they compare to the lower end Grado's, and my Goldring's.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question. Free bump for ya..

I've been eyeing some 240's lately, and wonder how they compare to the lower end Grado's, and my Goldring's.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know about the Goldring but my SR60 have been collecting dust for a long time. The AKG 240S are my headphones at the office. They are warmer and have a better soundstage than the Grado. You can also wear the AKG for hours but not the Grado.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 14
Iamgag. I'm lovin it. I think this is the third post of yours I've responded to about this. Blowin up the threads with 240 chatter. Keep threadin, I'll keep postin. 240s!!

Also try senn px100 and koss porta pros.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about the Goldring but my SR60 have been collecting dust for a long time. The AKG 240S are my headphones at the office. They are warmer and have a better soundstage than the Grado. You can also wear the AKG for hours but not the Grado.

The Goldring's also have a much better soundstage, and bass, while almost maintaining the "Grado sound".

On the contrary, the Grado's fit me nicely. But I also wear glasses, and anything with too much clamping force doesn't last long with me.

Do you have the XXL version 240's? (aka the newest version)

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #11 of 14
The better the amp, the more clearly the K240S will rise above an SR-60 or 80. I don't think you could get one to sound as good as an SR-225 no matter what you do with it, though. A K240M will perform at about the same level as an S, but with a flatter signature (i.e. no weirdly warm mids). An original K240 Sextett does beat an SR-225 to my ear, but only just.

Unamped however, from a weak source like an mp3 player, an SR-60 will sound better than a K240S.

Dec 5, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The better the amp, the more clearly the K240S will rise above an SR-60 or 80. I don't think you could get one to sound as good as an SR-225 no matter what you do with it, though. A K240M will perform at about the same level as an S, but with a flatter signature (i.e. no weirdly warm mids). An original K240 Sextett does beat an SR-225 to my ear, but only just.

Unamped however, from a weak source like an mp3 player, an SR-60 will sound better than a K240S.

Can't compare to the SR-225 or the 240M but you're dead on with the last line.

IMO, the K240s are a very pleasing listen, which is confirmed every time I upgrade my amp. Again, IMO, the SR-80 are more accurate but not as easy to listen to. Like a few other people, my 240s do office duty, where they are comfy enough to be worn all day without any issue, have a very pleasant sound and have a good balance between isolation and openness. The SR-80 are when I want to specifically listen to something: dead quiet, dark room, rarely longer than a single cd.

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you have the XXL version 240's? (aka the newest version)

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, they are the newer version, XXL. They are way more durable than the Grado (they were falling apart within weeks).

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidr2287 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know whats the difference between the K240S and K240M?

All I know is one is 55 Ohm (K240S) and the other is 600 Ohms (K240M). Maybe someone else can help you as to their different sound qualities.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back