Grado SR325x what do they do that the HD650 HD6XX don't do better?
Jun 29, 2021 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

ishmaelk

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, everyone.
There's no specific thread about these headphones. The only place I've found where they're discussed is the Grado Fan club thread, but that's a mix of everything Grado related.
I bought them and I've been testing them. I really like them, even though I'm not sure I like them more than the previous SR325e. They're definitely less fatiguing. And the earpads are as uncomfortable, if not more, than the cushions in the 325e.
But... what I'd like to ask other 325x owners (who also own 6XX/650) is: is there anything these do better than the HD6XX/650?
So far I haven't found anything that stands out.
Thanks.

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 47
Hi, everyone.
There's no specific thread about these headphones. The only place I've found where they're discussed is the Grado Fan club thread, but that's a mix of everything Grado related.
I bought them and I've been testing them. I really like them, even though I'm not sure I like them more than the previous SR325e. They're definitely less fatiguing. And the earpads are as uncomfortable, if not more, than the cushions in the 325e.
But... what I'd like to ask other 325x owners (who also own 6XX/650) is: is there anything these do better than the HD6XX/650?
So far I haven't found anything that stands out.
Thanks.
Do you notice better bass presence/extension? I got a set to to see if it has better bass and highs.

Jun 29, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 47
Do you notice better bass presence/extension? I got a set to to see if it has better bass and highs.
The 325x has a different, warmer, tone compared to the 325e. There may have more bass extension than the 650 in graph, but it didn't feel like the difference was audible. As for treble extension, that's true, it has more. It's a Grado, so treble there is. It's not very balanced up there, but it's not fatiguing.
And then, after my post, I remembered I had a pair of SR60s somewhere. I took the S pads and...
Soundstage is much improved, detail too. The tonality doesn't change much, now I can see bass hitting a bit harder than with the stock pads.
Now there may be some things I feel the 325x does better than the 650/6XX.
As for comfort, man... Now I can wear them for long sessions, unlike with the stock pads.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 47
I hadn't read it, thanks for the link.
It's interesting that the reviewer finds the 325x more open than the 650. I don't think there's any difference in soundstage with stock pads. With the S pads... there IS a difference, the 325x being quite more open. But the sense of airiness is, I guess, just treble peaks. Which, depending on the recording, can get a bit piercing. But I don't find it as tiring as the 325e.
I don't know... with the S pads I like this headphone much more. I was finding the 325x too congested and lacking in detail (for the price range).
The S pads improve imaging a lot, too.
I know how this sounds... So the Grados do their tests, they work their XXX in the tuning and then you go, put the SR60 pads and it improves in detail, imaging and soundstage, right?
It doesn't make any sense. But there you go...
I don't know what to make of it.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 47
Jun 29, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 47
After the review, did you have any chance to try different pads?
Yes mate, my thoughts on the 325x with G and L cush pads are on page three of the review.

I've also tried them with Sennheiser 414 'Yellow' pads (with the quarter mod) which are closest to the sound of the F Cush, but improve comfort dramatically.

The Beautiful audio leather/hybrid pads split the difference between the L and F cush pads in terms of sound signature, being closer to the L Cush in terms of treble clarity and a less 'thick' midrange.

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 47
Yes mate, my thoughts on the 325x with G and L cush pads are on page three of the review.

I've also tried them with Sennheiser 414 'Yellow' pads (with the quarter mod) which are closest to the sound of the F Cush, but improve comfort dramatically.

The Beautiful audio leather/hybrid pads split the difference between the L and F cush pads in terms of sound signature, being closer to the L Cush in terms of treble clarity and a less 'thick' midrange.
My excuses... I don't know how I missed the other pages.
Now I can say I have really read your review.
I don't have the 325e anymore (I found it tremendously uncomfortable for more than one hour of use) and it was too shouty. As much as I loved that headphone, it was something I found I avoided. So it had to go.
But the 325x is not as peaky in treble. The new pads are worse in comfort than the L pads.
Like I said before, the S pads are remarkable. There may be some loss in clarity somewhere, but the joy in not being tortured by the ear being right against the driver makes the whole experience much more pleasant.
And the detail and image... Improvement in those areas isn't subtle.
I may try getting some G pads. But when I had the 325e I tried them, I didn't like the loss of clarity in the midrange.
But at least I could use them without pain.
The Grado family must have memory foam ears to stand some of their designs.

Edit a few hours later:
After a lot of pad swapping and testing tracks, I start to appreciate the new pads. No doubt sound hits harder and although the further distance to the drivers allows for more separation and a sense of soundstage, there is some impact missing. And that impact is of high quality, and more precise.
So yes, after a few days I appreciate what they do better than a 650/6XX: more impact and the bass and treble extension (without being harsh).
They're a great complement to the 650/6XX.
Still, these headphones are uncomfortable. Very.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #10 of 47
I got the 325X the other day, and out of the box, left driver wasn't functional (This is a first time I've ever encountered driver defect out of the box). A bummer. I really dislike the new cabling. Sheathing is so stiff, it's annoying. Why can't they just go with detachable cables, and attach something like the Sennheiser's?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #11 of 47
I had 325i then I said never Grado again, afterwards had 325e then I said I'm done with Grado, now there is new x version and I feel intrigued again LOL

I wouldn't compare 325 series with anything since they are so uniquely effed up.

Nice that they are doing something to refresh the line but now officially Grado has the worst cables on 'phones that are just refusing to go away. It's good that Grado made their name long time ago, otherwise it would be just dismissed and ignored.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 47
The Sennheiser Massdrop HD6XX is not that great compared to the Grado SR225x. I did not yet listen to the Grado SR325x, so I will share what is better between the two I have listened to.

Grado SR225x
Better for rock music
Also, better for all other music to my ears
Pairs better with more headphone amplifiers
Tubes better than the HD6XX

Sennheiser Massdrop HD6XX
Better build quality
More comfortable/can wear for long periods
Detachable cable for upgrades and for balanced cables
Better long term resale value

If you would like to read my review on the Grado SR225x, click here ---> https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-grado-sr-225x-loaner-program.958169/#post-16441247

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 47
The Sennheiser Massdrop HD6XX is not that great compared to the Grado SR225x. I did not yet listen to the Grado SR325x, so I will share what is better between the two I have listened to.

Grado SR225x
Better for rock music
Also, better for all other music to my ears
Pairs better with more headphone amplifiers
Tubes better than the HD6XX

Sennheiser Massdrop HD6XX
Better build quality
More comfortable/can wear for long periods
Detachable cable for upgrades and for balanced cables
Better long term resale value

If you would like to read my review on the Grado SR225x, click here ---> https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-grado-sr-225x-loaner-program.958169/#post-16441247
I'll definitely read your review of the 225x. Thanks!
Before I do, let me tell you I find odd that you think 225x pairs better with tubes than the 6XX.
But I have never listened to the 225x.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 47
I'll definitely read your review of the 225x. Thanks!
Before I do, let me tell you I find odd that you think 225x pairs better with tubes than the 6XX.
But I have never listened to the 225x.
It is me. I am not a big fan of the Sennheiser Massdrop HD6XX sound. I only enjoy it after it is both tubed and EQ'd. But even then, it is just okay.
I am however a very big fan of Grado sound. I even prefer the old SR225e and SR225 over the Sennheiser Massdrop HD6XX.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #15 of 47
It is me. I am not a big fan of the Sennheiser Massdrop HD6XX sound. I only enjoy it after it is both tubed and EQ'd. But even then, it is just okay. I am however a very big fan of Grado sound.
I like the 6XX a lot. Except for those days when I can't stand them. But that doesn't happen often.
I like Grados too (the ones I've tried, although I've never dipped my ears in Reference Series territory), but I have usually ended up not using Grado headphones for their lack of comfort and fatiguing highs.
It hasn't happened to me with the 325x. Treble is very much improved, as well as bass extension. But those new pads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back