Grado SR325e + Schiit Magni 2 = Too Bright?
Dec 10, 2017 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TnTA2

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first time poster here. I have a Schiit Magni 2 amp and Grado SR325e's. I really enjoy the Grados, after I modded the headband to raise the ear pad up a tiny bit. The only real issue I have noticed is that this combo is a bit too bright for my liking, especially with the Magni on hi gain and the volume turned up a bit. I'm a simpleton in audio terms but enjoy good sound. I'm not into spending thousands on audio like some. Just wondering whether to upgrade to a different amp, or bite the bullet and get in on the Mass Drop deal on the Sennheiser HD-6XX while they are incredibly discounted, and nearly identical in spec to the HD-650s. I tried the 650s at the store when I was shopping and found them to be incredible, but far out of my price range, so I "settled" on the Grados. Would the Magni 2 and HD-6XX be less bright? Trying to find out what to do here. I'm a little ashamed to admit, my source is my iMac and I've got everything in AAC 256 kbps. Thanks for any insight!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 8
You’d be better off getting the HD6XX rather than buying a new amp if you just want it to be less bright.

You could also modify the Grados a bit to lower the treble too if you really wanted.

Also just to clarify, AAC is a lossy format, so it doesn’t have a bit depth. 256 is the value of the bit rate and is measured in kbps, not bits.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 8
The 6xx is very relaxed and should be a nice mellow change from the Grado. I've never heard anybody with healthy hearing say the HD650 is bright. It and the 6xx are amazingly laid-back and if you'd like something easy on the treble, I doubt you'd find a better option under 200 bucks. I wouldn't bother with a new amp, headphones make far more of a difference

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 8
Grados arent for everybody,but theyve been around for a very long time for a reason.Simply put,the Magni is a bright amp,coupled with a peaky headphone and that spells disaster.You can try different ear pads for the Grados and that will make a pretty big difference,but it will not mitigate any of the brightness coming off of the amp.

Grados need to be matched up with a warm amp and excel with rock and blues.

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 8
You’d be better off getting the HD6XX rather than buying a new amp if you just want it to be less bright.

You could also modify the Grados a bit to lower the treble too if you really wanted.

Also just to clarify, AAC is a lossy format, so it doesn’t have a bit depth. 256 is the value of the bit rate and is measured in kbps, not bits.

Thanks. I didn't realize I had screwed up typing the bit rate. I know the diff :blush:

Maybe I'll research some Grado mods before I commit to the HD-6xx. Care to share anything specific?

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks. I didn't realize I had screwed up typing the bit rate. I know the diff :blush:

Maybe I'll research some Grado mods before I commit to the HD-6xx. Care to share anything specific?

I don’t own any grades so I wouldn’t have any specifics but you could try looking at this thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-fan-club.530965/

I’m pretty sure someone there will be willing to help too if you had any questions!

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 8
Hey guys, first time poster here. I have a Schiit Magni 2 amp and Grado SR325e's. I really enjoy the Grados, after I modded the headband to raise the ear pad up a tiny bit. The only real issue I have noticed is that this combo is a bit too bright for my liking, especially with the Magni on hi gain and the volume turned up a bit. I'm a simpleton in audio terms but enjoy good sound. I'm not into spending thousands on audio like some. Just wondering whether to upgrade to a different amp, or bite the bullet and get in on the Mass Drop deal on the Sennheiser HD-6XX while they are incredibly discounted, and nearly identical in spec to the HD-650s. I tried the 650s at the store when I was shopping and found them to be incredible, but far out of my price range, so I "settled" on the Grados. Would the Magni 2 and HD-6XX be less bright? Trying to find out what to do here. I'm a little ashamed to admit, my source is my iMac and I've got everything in AAC 256 kbps. Thanks for any insight!
I've heard (read) that the Grado headphones can be like sitting next the speakers at a music concert, is that how your Grado SR325e sounds to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back