Grado SR235i for unamped MP3 Player
Jan 15, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #16 of 27
It's $300 -- hear before you buy. Might I suggest you check out the low impedance Beyerdynamic DT880s? Similar in some ways, the sound is more neutral in mids and highs, but has more bass. Like, shocking amounts of it.

Grados serve hip hop well -- they can handle anything, IMO -- but they're not tuned for it. I got a Count Bass D track on my audition list, and the Beyers brought it to life like no other phone I've heard. My Grados merely make it sound great.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #17 of 27
If you want them to sound their best you'll get an amp. If you don't care about getting the most out of them you won't. The 325is sounds significantly better when amped and played with lossless music.

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #18 of 27
@dasmb - I looked at the beyerdynamic dt880's and from the specs they sound spectacular, however, 250 Ohm impedance is a major turnoff for me because I will use them from a Zune HD almost 90% of the time.

And I realize that everything sounds better when amped, but won't 32 Ohm impedance be ok unamped?

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by krnxbboi90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I realize that everything sounds better when amped, but won't 32 Ohm impedance be ok unamped?

Yes yes yes
RS1.gif

Buy them, enjoy , and think about an amp later.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes yes yes
RS1.gif

Buy them, enjoy , and think about an amp later.

I second that. You can look forward to joys of amping and sourcing later on. If you do get the 325is, be aware that they have a 1/4" jack on the end of their cable, and you will need a 1/4" to 1/8" jack adapter (Grado make one) in order to plug into your zune.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #22 of 27
You will. They are fantastic. Get an amp later like other have said.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #23 of 27
The 325's work fine unamped, just make sure to get a proper 1/4" to 1/8" converter (such as the Grado one, and not one of the cheapie barrel type ones).

But mp3 players won't come close to getting the most out of 325's

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #24 of 27
I'm also of the opinion that the 325s run great unamped but an amp only enhances them. But to add a little detail, my not very sophisticated ear is of the opinion that amping the 325s specifically enhances the sound stage and the clarity of the bass.

So if you're already concerned with grado bass, unamped 325s might not be the route you're looking for. Personally, I'm fine running mine unamped, but I think grado bass is great... detailed instead of driving.

That said, I do run them amped at my desk because that extra separation and soundstage is just something that I can't get enough of.

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #25 of 27
It's ok to use 325i with portable players, and you'll probably like the sound. But the problem for me is when I get something expensive I'd want to use it on full potential otherwise I consider it loss of value. That's why I wouldn't get 325i if I didn't have a decent source, let alone a mp3 player. I normally use D2000 and HD595 (both no more than 50 ohm) amped on a desktop, but my portable phones for my ipod have been much cheaper (lots of iems, D1001, ES7, HD228, PX100, Portapro, etc) because they seem more suited for it. Although D2000 and HD595 have low impedance they sound little thin when used from ipod. So I suggest you try those first, or go with iem if you really want to spend money.

I had a friend who was just like you (also Korean, myself as well) who was into hip-hop and other radio-friendly music, and wanted to upgrade straight to high-end cans like D5000 or D7000 can't remember which. He assumed since it had low impedance he can use it on his ipod and onboard soundcard. When he realized he needed an amp, I told him to sell the Denons and save money since he could be satisfied with cheaper cans based on his music genre which was mostly mainstream. Not only did he end up buying an amp, but he got addicted to this audiophile thing and spent all his money on other headphones. I realize this is a common thing on this forum and people joke and brag about it, but isn’t it little sad from your point of view? Sorry for a long post, but your name reminds me of that friend with the krnbboy thing lol

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #26 of 27
Zune HD has a weak headphone out. I have one. It might not drive Grados loud enough to satisfy. IEMs on the other hand, are beautifully driven by a Zune HD thanks to their higher sensitivity.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by krnxbboi90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@dasmb - I looked at the beyerdynamic dt880's and from the specs they sound spectacular, however, 250 Ohm impedance is a major turnoff for me because I will use them from a Zune HD almost 90% of the time.

The DT880 comes in a 32 ohm model. Sound isn't quite the same as the 250, but if you hadn't heard the 250s you'll likely not notice the difference
biggrin.gif

There are two reasons to amp a portable. Surely if your headphones are high impedance you'll want an amp to bring the volume to a respectable level. But try this some time -- find your favorite receiver with a headphone out. Plug your Zune into it, and adjust the receiver's volume so that it's the same as the output from the headphones. Then do an A/B comparison between headphone out on the receiver and headphone out on the Zune -- which sounds better? Which sounds fuller, which more open? Which handles big bass and complex passages better?

My money's on the receiver, or more accurately, on its amplifier. And a dedicated headphone amp will sound even better than that. I bring it up because it may be that the difference between the two, even at 32 ohm, is sufficient to favor cheaper headphone + amp over better headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back