Grado SR235i for unamped MP3 Player
Jan 14, 2010 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

krnxbboi90

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I'm kind of new here so don't hate on me too much XD. I have a Zune HD and I was wondering if the 32 Ohm impedance on the Grado SR235i would be low enough for me to hook up to the Zune HD unamped and still sound good. I've been looking around and at first I was considering noise cancelling headphones, but realized that I listen to music too much to consider batteries being necessary on my headphones haha.

I listen to mostly hip hop with the occasional indie rock group here and there. I've read that the bass is lacking on the lower Grado models but that with this pair of headphones, the low end of the frequency spectrum becomes phenomenal.

I was originally considering Ultrasones for their good bass but the 3m (10ft) cable didn't seem too practical for hooking up to a portable device.

Any suggestions on what I ought to do?

Thanks

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 27
Bit confused here... do you mean the SR225i or the 325i? Two different headphones and by your typo, it could mean either...

Anyways, Grados will do well enough unamped and they're great for rock (not sure about Hip Hop, however. Hip Hop is great with my RS1/flats, but I'm not sure how 225/325's fare with them).

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 27
The 325i would sound very good from the Zune I believe. They don't require an amp to satisfy but they aren't for bass heads. I can recommend the Senn HD25 as a great closed portable HP which also sounds very good unamped, these also have more bass than Grado.

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 27
Grados are renowned for being easy to drive, I have plugged mine into my iphone and enjoyed the sound. However, they do respond to amping very nicely too, and that is how i choose to run them. Bass-wise, i find that in my experience (325is/rs1i) the bass is the type that is musically tangible, a bass which you can listen to and hear - as opposed to the bass which you "feel". Personally i find it very satisfying, but it might be worth reading around to see whether there are cans that provide a more pronounced low-end feel (denons are apparently low-ohmage and bassy).

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 27
Thanks St3ve.

Another thing to consider is that the impedance of the Senn hd25's are 70 Ohms. Isn't that a tad high for portable devices?

And I don't think I like "feeling" my bass that much. I just need for it to be recognizable. Don't know if anyone knows the song "Get It In"by Omarion but the bass in that song is too much for me (seems to overpower everything). I much rather prefer the bass that hits clean like in "Missing you" by Trey Songz.

Don't know if that clarifies at all. I'm trying my best haha

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 27
32 ohm is low enough, but keep in mind impedance isn't the only factor to consider. Personally I wouldn't buy sr325i if I didn't have a good source to match with.

Have you tried lower ends? I find sr60i's bass ok for hip-hop. fwiw there are plenty of cheaper cans to consider. Lower end sr, d1001, m50, hfi..

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 27
I just received mine today in mail, I seem to have really minute dents on the front, also one of the aluminium casings has some sort of silicon coloration,I cannot explain it.
Its something like a tyhin film which is developed when oil is mixed with water.

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received mine today in mail, I seem to have really minute dents on the front, also one of the aluminium casings has some sort of silicon coloration,I cannot explain it.
Its something like a tyhin film which is developed when oil is mixed with water.

Reminds me of the pitting i had read some people observed on the alloy cups of their new PS1000s. One of the screens is quite off-centre on my 325is, and there appears to be glue leakage on part of my RS1is. Guess its a Grado thing.

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reminds me of the pitting i had read some people observed on the alloy cups of their new PS1000s. One of the screens is quite off-centre on my 325is, and there appears to be glue leakage on part of my RS1is. Guess its a Grado thing.

It some sort of relief to hear that, not in bad way.

I haven't heard them yet, but the sound should overcome all the physical blemishes
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It some sort of relief to hear that, not in bad way.

I haven't heard them yet, but the sound should overcome all the physical blemishes
smily_headphones1.gif

It's small consolation when they cost what they do, but i guess they are all "unique" in that way.

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's small consolation when they cost what they do, but i guess they are all "unique" in that way.

Modify and give them your own garage flavor.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 27
@TobaccoRoad, I've never spent above $50 dollars on a pair of headphones before so I guess the ones I get will be my first "audiophile" headphones. I'm kind of OCD when it comes to electronics and gadgets so instead of getting lots of small things, I save up for a long time and get the best I can. Something about getting the SR60i bothers me when I can get the SR325i lol

And why would you say that the Zune HD isn't a good source? Isn't it ok to play unamped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back