Grado SR225s too bright...what next?
Nov 10, 2008 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

droht

100+ Head-Fier
Just test drove some SR225s. Sounded great on some recordings, but just hit some high notes too brightly on others. They were obviously not for me very quickly, but I managed to find some recordings that sounded great and tried to do a more extended listen. These are my first real cans, and I wanted to see if I could be happy in general with headphones.

I really enjoyed the bass slam with these HPs; a total surprise that any HPs could do that. Some rock and blues recordings just blew me away. Although I didn't consider keeping these I am now easily able to understand why so many of you have numerous HPs at home.

What concerns me is that after 30 minutes or so with non-bright recordings at moderate levels my ears really started to feel oppressed (for lack of a better word). I just wanted to rip the cans off. Wondering if that is the Grado sound that I am not appreicating, or maybe a headphone thing? I want to try something else, but I am having second thoughts...

Assuming I take another shot, my favorites right now are Sennheisers. 580s, 600s, or 650s. Any logic on which to pick? Given my general uncertainty I'm thinking I'll go "cheap", but if the 650s just make sense I can go that way as well.

Really appreciate any thoughts or feedback. Using a Keces DA-152 HP amp.

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by droht /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming I take another shot, my favorites right now are Sennheisers. 580s, 600s, or 650s. Any logic on which to pick? Given my general uncertainty I'm thinking I'll go "cheap", but if the 650s just make sense I can go that way as well.

Really appreciate any thoughts or feedback. Using a Keces DA-152 HP amp.

The HD650 would be about as opposite sounding to the SR225 as you can get, and more refined sounding than the HD580/HD600. FWIR, your DAC/amp seems capable enough for the HD650, but I'd say your safer bet would be with the HD600 since its sound signature is closer to the SR225 than the HD650: SR225..................(insert many other headphones here)....................HD600........HD650.

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 23
The word we use here is "fatiguing"; too much highs can make your ears tired. The Grados are not designed to be heard for extended periods. The Senns are the polar opposites of the Grados, they are relaxing and great for the classical or the more relaxing jazz songs but lack the energy for rock songs. And might sound dull.

So instead of getting another can, you might want to consider trying the Grados more times, most people get used to bright presentations after a while. What type of music do you usually listen to anyway?

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfreight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the SR-225 were too bright as well. I decided to go with the Denon AH-D2000's and never looked back.

FWIR and based on the OP's first post, I think the D2000 may be a better option than the Sennheisers.

Edit:

Here is a current thread that might be of interest to you.

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 23
I switched from the D2000 to the SR225. The D2000 sound clunky, fit awkwardly on your head, and are prone to manufacturing defects. Also part of what gives music its soul is the midrange, and that's what the D2000 critically lacks.

I don't think there's any headphones out there like Grados. You can't get the same involving, fun, and soulful sound with any other headphone brand. From what I know in my limited experience, the SR225 are not very fatiguing in Grado standards. I would give them a bit more time to get used to their unique sound. I went from AKG to Sennheiser to Grado, and as you can tell, I'm now a Grado addict.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I switched from the D2000 to the SR225. The D2000 sound clunky, fit awkwardly on your head, and are prone to manufacturing defects. Also part of what gives music its soul is the midrange, and that's what the D2000 critically lacks.

I don't think there's any headphones out there like Grados. You can't get the same involving, fun, and soulful sound with any other headphone brand. From what I know in my limited experience, the SR225 are not very fatiguing in Grado standards. I would give them a bit more time to get used to their unique sound. I went from AKG to Sennheiser to Grado, and as you can tell, I'm now a Grado addict.

These characterizations of the SR225 and D2000 are consistent with what I've read. The D2000 reportedly benefits from the markl mod. And some music is recorded too poorly for Grados to sound tolerable for some listeners, even with a nice source, and I suspect that may be the case for the OP. The HD600 would be a safe bet though.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 23
I think you should try the flat pads on the SR225, these make the sound warmer with more body. Cheaper than a new headphone, and you can always sell them on if you still don't like the sound.
I think you should stick with the SR225 a little longer, it's a really good headphone.

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by droht /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What concerns me is that after 30 minutes or so with non-bright recordings at moderate levels my ears really started to feel oppressed (for lack of a better word). I just wanted to rip the cans off. Wondering if that is the Grado sound that I am not appreicating, or maybe a headphone thing? I want to try something else, but I am having second thoughts...

It sounds like you can't get used to the close up sound of the Grados. This will never go away, unless you change pads (not entirely sure about that).

Probably a more fitting headphone is one with a better headstage, unless you get used to it.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 23
The Ultrasone HFI-780 and PRO 750 are good alternatives, as well as HD580 (which is "tamer" at top and bottom, than the Ultrasones -- if that is what you want).

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 23
Thanks for all the replies. Very good stuff.

To add some additional info, I did try various pads (flats, softs and bowls) on the 225s. Flats seemed the best to me, but I still couldn't go much more than 30 minutes. This occurred even when the music sounded great to me. No harshness, no sibilance...but it would kind of sneak up on me, then "cripes, my ears are not happy". I repeated this as many times as my ears would allow. Don't think I'm up for trying to "get used to" the sound.

I suppose I will give the 580s or 600s a shot. If they seem too "dark and veiled" I'll try moving toward that treacherous middle ground between the Grados and Senns. If I like them I know I can then look at the 650s as a future upgrade. I didn't really expect to have anyone here suggest giving up on headphones altogether.
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 23
good thing about sennheisers is that they are almost always somewhere around
tongue.gif

find one and have a listen.

is grado the discomfort from sound? or from fit? if from fit-issues, try the 225's some more. I (and sure many others) had this too and they really will get better and more comfortable over time.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 23
I've got both 580s and SR125s, and I love them both... the 580s are VERY different, in fact they're polar opposites in sound. If you don't like what you're hearing now, 580s are probably a good move.

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #15 of 23
I have both the SR225's and the D2000's. The SR225's are definitely sharper. The D2000's go just as high, but it is way more refined, and instead of a screech, it's more like a splash; although, I don't find the SR225's too, too bad. I think the SR225's would be really good with a source that trims some high end off, or a nice warm amp, but something that keeps the speed for rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back