Grado SR225i vs RS1i for Rock/Metal/Country music
Nov 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Charlie Sheen

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. So here is the thing, i have some Sennheiser PC 360's for gaming and listening to music in general, like i mentioned, i listen to all kinds of Rock, Heavy Metal, Country, and some Blues occasionaly. I'm also a gamer who plays alot o FPS, not competitive though. Anyway, the PC 360's are good for gaming but i feel like they are kind of boring for the genres of music i listen to, to the point i almost feel sleepy. I'm in no budget, and i've been searching around for the best headphones for Rock music and i noticed the Grado's ones are very well recommended. I just want the best sound possible for this genres of music, because music is one of my hobbys and i spend most of my free time playing games, listening to music and relaxing.. while listening to music :wink:. Anyway, I just want to know if the Grado RS1i is significantly better than the SR225i for my purpose? I live in Brazil so I would pay like 400 dollars more for the RS1i. Money is not a problem in current time. I'm not a audiophile, but i love music!

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 14
  I just want the best sound possible for this genres of music, because music is one of my hobbys and i spend most of my free time playing games, listening to music and relaxing.. while listening to music :wink:. Anyway, I just want to know if the Grado RS1i is significantly better than the SR225i for my purpose? I live in Brazil so I would pay like 400 dollars more for the RS1i. Money is not a problem in current time. I'm not a audiophile, but i love music!

That makes you an audiophile
tongue.gif

By definition, 'Audiophile' is a person that occasionally listens to music and not do anything else. Listening to music is the main thing, not something used to multitask something else...

Regarding your question, I may not be the best person to answer that for you since I have never heard both. But I have heard the SR60i and RS2i, and from what I read, I believe the RS1i is better in every aspect compared to SR225i. Grado maintains their house sound throughout their product line-up, so upgrading from one to another would mean getting the same house sound but getting better soundstage, clarity and so on.

But I would not hastily recommend you the RS1i over the SR225i. I would suggest you to hear both, and then you can be the judicator of whether spending the extra mile is worth it or not
wink_face.gif

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 14
Both the 225i & RS1i are great headphones for your preferred genre's of music.

The 225i is a great bang for your buck headphone, and you will more than likely be very happy with the sound.

The RS1i cost  over 3 times more....it is made better....metal gimbals,leather headband,wooden cups....lighter....

The RS1i is more detailed in just about every single way possible in the sonic aspect, but some people feel it is worth it and some do not....only you could make that choice.....I do not believe that you would NOT like it, as I think you very much would.....just hard to tell if it is worth the extra cash.

Another phone to throw in the mix would be the 325is, which imo is also another great bang for your buck headphone, and on the higher end don't forget the PS500, as it is just alittle less expensive than an RS1i.

If you can buy 2nd hand, like off of this forum....it is a great way to save some cash and grab a very nice set of cans.

If you listen to a lot of music, and use your cans like 5 nights a week, then I say grab a nice set that you will really enjoy.

If you can afford it....then getting at least a 225i is the lowest down the Grado chain that I would go, unless you just use your headphones one or two nights a week.....then an SR80i would be great.

There are also other brands of headphones that you may consider, but the grado sound for your genres is a very, very nice match....guitars sound spectacular.

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 14
I suppose you have a problem with listening to Grados. Maybe some shop nearby or a friend with any grado model. I think i wouldn't buy rs1i before checking that i like grado sound. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 14
I own the 225Is and they strut their stuff with rock music. It's almost as if they're mini guitar amps instead of headphones as you get phenomenal guitar sounds like a live performance or if you're in the studio. The soundstage is awesome, like you're on stage right in the studio. My only qualm is they can be a little anemic in the bass frequencies, so they're not cans for all genres. Also to make them sing, you should pick up an amp for them. I use a Peachtree MusicBox and the tube in the amp beefs up the bass sound. But you don't have to spend lots of money to amp these cans up. I have used Headroom's Total Bithead and the JDS Mentos tin amps and got pretty good sound from them. Good luck on your hunt!

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 14
I own the 225Is and they strut their stuff with rock music. It's almost as if they're mini guitar amps instead of headphones as you get phenomenal guitar sounds like a live performance or if you're in the studio. The soundstage is awesome, like you're on stage right in the studio. My only qualm is they can be a little anemic in the bass frequencies, so they're not cans for all genres. Also to make them sing, you should pick up an amp for them. I use a Peachtree MusicBox and the tube in the amp beefs up the bass sound. But you don't have to spend lots of money to amp these cans up. I have used Headroom's Total Bithead and the JDS Mentos tin amps and got pretty good sound from them. Good luck on your hunt!

I don't think there's a single pair of cans for all genres... at least not under $2,000

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #8 of 14
  Both the 225i & RS1i are great headphones for your preferred genre's of music.

The 225i is a great bang for your buck headphone, and you will more than likely be very happy with the sound.

The RS1i cost  over 3 times more....it is made better....metal gimbals,leather headband,wooden cups....lighter....

The RS1i is more detailed in just about every single way possible in the sonic aspect, but some people feel it is worth it and some do not....only you could make that choice.....I do not believe that you would NOT like it, as I think you very much would.....just hard to tell if it is worth the extra cash.

Another phone to throw in the mix would be the 325is, which imo is also another great bang for your buck headphone, and on the higher end don't forget the PS500, as it is just alittle less expensive than an RS1i.

If you can buy 2nd hand, like off of this forum....it is a great way to save some cash and grab a very nice set of cans.

If you listen to a lot of music, and use your cans like 5 nights a week, then I say grab a nice set that you will really enjoy.

If you can afford it....then getting at least a 225i is the lowest down the Grado chain that I would go, unless you just use your headphones one or two nights a week.....then an SR80i would be great.

There are also other brands of headphones that you may consider, but the grado sound for your genres is a very, very nice match....guitars sound spectacular.

I agree with what Whirlwind said above ^

I own the 225i and MS-Pro (RS1 cousin), and can confirm the above is spot on.  If you are the kind of person who likes to sit back, relax, and just listen to the music then the RS1 will serve you very well, and may even be the last pair of cans you ever buy.  If you are a more casual listener the 225i will be more than enough to enjoy the music.

Put it this way i spend 90% of my headphone time playing games/watching TV with the 225i, its only that last 10% of dedicated, focused listening where the MS-Pro's come out and really shine.

The cost difference, thats the tricky bit.  Personally i bought both of mine 2nd hand for a fraction of the retail price so that was not an issue. Is the RS1 worth X times as much as the 225i, only you can answer that..

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks guys. I have a question, is the PS 500 also good for rock? These headphones are available in a online shop here in Brazil, and it would be cheaper than buying the RS1i. Not alot, but it would be easier for me. I heard they are bassy headphones, more  suitable for genres like rap and dubstep.. I also prefer the look of the RS1i :)

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #10 of 14
  Thanks guys. I have a question, is the PS 500 also good for rock? These headphones are available in a online shop here in Brazil, and it would be cheaper than buying the RS1i. Not alot, but it would be easier for me. I heard they are bassy headphones, more  suitable for genres like rap and dubstep.. I also prefer the look of the RS1i :)

Here in the states I believe the PS500 is $100 cheaper than the RS1i.

Yes, the PS500 is good for rock, it just has a bigger bottom end than other Grados.

I am seriously thinking of getting a second hand pair, once my new job starts

I don't believe any current Grado would not be good for rock....IMO...that is where they excel.

I have never used mine for gaming though....I use an AKG Q701 for that.

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 14
I like Grado, and I have ps500 and rs1. 
But I'd say that Grado sound is not for everyone, especially when it comes to rock, some audiophiles just can't stand it. 
So you'd better try it before purchase.
btw, although Rs1i is better than sr225, I think sr225 is good enough.

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #13 of 14
Interesting stuff.
Consider me subscribed.

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #14 of 14
My only qualm is they can be a little anemic in the bass frequencies, so they're not cans for all genres. Also to make them sing, you should pick up an amp for them. I use a Peachtree MusicBox and the tube in the amp beefs up the bass sound. But you don't have to spend lots of money to amp these cans up. I have used Headroom's Total Bithead and the JDS Mentos tin amps and got pretty good sound from them. Good luck on your hunt!

Have you tried tape-modding the L-cushions to improve the bass?

I agree completely that you should buy an amp, at least a portable one. It's almost wasteful not to amp a Grado RS. If price becomes an issue, I recommend buying 225i and an amp instead of RS1 without an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back