Grado SR225i vs HE-400
Oct 26, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:
@olsenn I think you disliked the sr325i because of the brightness. They are very detailed and have lots of clarity, but the treble is just piercing for some people so I can see why you disliked it lol. thanks for the help.

I have heard that argument alot actually, and it is entirely possible I just got a bad sets of cans fro Grado; however, if you've never heard Grado headphones before I'd highly recommend you not assume you know how they're going to sound. I'm not trying to be rude, it's just that that is what led me to waste $400... I thought I new what they would sound like, but I was mistaken. The truth is, that these cans (325is) are not very detailed at all! They make trick some people into thinking that based on how bright they are in the upper frequencies, but they are completely absent of bass and they aren't linear at any point in the frequency spectrum. Once you listen to a full-bodied pair of headphones you'll realize that that the grados don't show much detail at all.

I can't say for sure that wouldn't like Grado headphones; I am only saying that I highly recommend you audition a pair somewhere before commiting to buy them. Even people who love Grado headphones admit that you either love them or hate them, and that they are only good for certain types/genres of music. Unless you know what type of sound you like (don't even assume you will like them because you like Rock) I would recommend going for a more all-rounder that can be tweaked with SW equalization to sound more like a Grado if you wish it to.

Whatever pair of headphones you do ultimately purchase, I hope you let us know your impressions of them. Best wishes

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #17 of 24
i will chosse HE 
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:
I have heard that argument alot actually, and it is entirely possible I just got a bad sets of cans fro Grado; however, if you've never heard Grado headphones before I'd highly recommend you not assume you know how they're going to sound. I'm not trying to be rude, it's just that that is what led me to waste $400... I thought I new what they would sound like, but I was mistaken. The truth is, that these cans (325is) are not very detailed at all! They make trick some people into thinking that based on how bright they are in the upper frequencies, but they are completely absent of bass and they aren't linear at any point in the frequency spectrum. Once you listen to a full-bodied pair of headphones you'll realize that that the grados don't show much detail at all.

I can't say for sure that wouldn't like Grado headphones; I am only saying that I highly recommend you audition a pair somewhere before commiting to buy them. Even people who love Grado headphones admit that you either love them or hate them, and that they are only good for certain types/genres of music. Unless you know what type of sound you like (don't even assume you will like them because you like Rock) I would recommend going for a more all-rounder that can be tweaked with SW equalization to sound more like a Grado if you wish it to.

Whatever pair of headphones you do ultimately purchase, I hope you let us know your impressions of them. Best wishes

Well, I wasn't going to get the sr325i anyway, it's treble scares me :p

But yeah, I'll definately audition it before I buy it, we all hear differently.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:
I'm currently looking for my first open headphone. I listen primarily to rock and metal, which in this case many people recommend grado. However, from what I've read, grado seems to be a wall of sound with no depth and such. I am just afraid it won't be refined enough for me. Many people recommend the HE-400 for rock/metal as well, and it just seems a lot more refined than the grado, plus it has a much better bass and a fantastic seperation. so between these two, which one do you overall enjoy the most when listing to rock/metal?

I'll go for HE since it's got better technicalities

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #21 of 24
Just a quick bump as I'm in a similar situation. I broke my 325i's and am trying to decide if I wanna replace them or go w/ the HE-400's.

My A900X and Q701's simply do not compare for music listening to the 325i's. I REALLY liked that up front, in your face mid range for vocals.

I listen to mostly stuff like popular pop/rock. Occasionally, I'll listen to some trance/techno or classical.

I'm leaning towards the Grados.

So is the HE-400 definitely laid back compared to the 325i's? I owned a pair of HD580's and IIRC, folks called those laid back. They were...boring.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #22 of 24
Very laid-back compared to the grados.  The Grados all are known for their emphasized upper-midrange-- the part of the frequency response that contributes most to aggressiveness.  The HE-400 is known for its recessed upper midrange, contributing to a very warm and laid-back sound.  However the HE-400 have a very strong bass and emphasized upper treble, so they're definitely not boring.

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #24 of 24
Well I know am late on this thread but how about a closed he 400, because am working on a closed headphone case and I really want to try planars in there. Tell me if its a good idea to try. Oh and an other thing is that the drivers are going to be angled and there are gonna be bass ports. Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back