Grado SR225i vs. Beyer DT?
May 9, 2014 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Brizzl

New Head-Fier
I have recently come into some cash and decided to invest more into my sound. I mostly listen to alternative rock, folk, EDM and classical, so I would like a headphone that can cover all of these ranges if possible. I really like headphones with huge soundstages and I'm a bit of a treble head too. The highest grade headphone I have at this point is a M50, so I'm certain that whatever I decide to get will still be a vast improvement. 

So my thoughts are these:
I can get the SR225i and mod the crap out of 'em, the whole nine yards by rewiring with silver cables and getting woodie cups, etc.
Or I can get a Beyerdynamic. So far I only want to spend ~$150-200. The DT880 looks really good. But so does the Hifiman HE-300 :p

I welcome any and all suggestions. Thank you!

May 9, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 5
The SR225 is a headphone that has a small soundstage. I personally would not really recommend it for someone looking for a large soundstage or someone who listens to Classical and EDM. You looking in the right place at the DT880 as a treble head and someone into their soundstages, as these are somewhat bright and have a large soundstage. I think they'd be fine for folk, one of the best at that price for classical. For EDM they are not my first choice, but I have heard of people who enjoy them with electronic before - although somewhat rarer - depending on what you desire in terms of bass from your headphone. I have not heard the HE300 unfortunately.

May 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 5
The SR225 is a headphone that has a small soundstage. I personally would not really recommend it for someone looking for a large soundstage or someone who listens to Classical and EDM. You looking in the right place at the DT880 as a treble head and someone into their soundstages, as these are somewhat bright and have a large soundstage. I think they'd be fine for folk, one of the best at that price for classical. For EDM they are not my first choice, but I have heard of people who enjoy them with electronic before - although somewhat rarer - depending on what you desire in terms of bass from your headphone. I have not heard the HE300 unfortunately.

Ok, DT880 is sounding like a really good option at this point. These definitely benefit from an amp?

May 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 5
I owned the Grado SR60 and SR80 but found the DT880 pro so vastly superior I never bothered to listen to Grado again. I would describe it this way: the Grado is like a mini-monitor speaker with a harsh sounding metal dome tweeter, no real bass just a hyped up midbass to simulate bass. The Beyer is like a big floorstanding full range speaker with a 10in woofer and smooth sounding silk dome tweeter. I also had the 250ohm pro version which I could even power plenty loud with my phone, I used them as portables. The Beyer is also the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn.

May 9, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 5
  Ok, DT880 is sounding like a really good option at this point. These definitely benefit from an amp?

The DT880 with an amp would be a good idea, as they benefit from it. Something cheaper like a Vali/Modi would be a good idea as a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back