Grado SR225 vs. SR225i - Initial Impressions
Mar 5, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #77 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Richsto, any more updates in sound?

Only that I'm more convinced that the 225i does sound better - not by leaps and bounds but it's a noticable improvement. Its noticable enough that I took a good size hit selling my 225s to keep the 225i. Although I no longer have the 225 to compare with over a very long burn in time, I'd say a good burn in of at least 50 hours is beneficial. Either that, or my ear was just in training
smily_headphones1.gif

Of all the Grado's I've listened to, the 225i is definetely my favorite - of course I haven't heard their RS-1 or other higher end cans. YMMV.

Rich

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #79 of 108
Yep, this just confirms that the changes are more about getting the cable to be more durable and some other shoring up of the product, maybe getting cheaper wood for the RS, GS, phones. I'd imagine there will be some that will say one is better, but the simple fact that there was no increase in price or serious comment about how he improved the phones to really feel these are an upgrade.

In fact the old RS-1 used is 2x the price of the new RS-1 because people like the sound better.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #80 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No sir! I really don't like the SR80's through my WA6. They sound anemic. BUT through my portable setup they rock big time. Synergy I guess....?

Okay, what about shrillness..? The 3 models I heard where pretty much razor sharp with the set-up that was at hand.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #81 of 108
That's what I mean. They are too bright with the WOO and my nice CDP but with my iPod(ALAC)-->ALO LOD-->voyager portable setup they are spot on! Like I said it must be a good synergy.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #82 of 108
Okay. "Anemic" was actually a word lacking from my english vocabulary so I had to Google it and besides a bunch of medical terms, the best I could find was "lacking in power".
smile.gif

But okay, I follow. Best price I can find for a pair of RS-1i's is $700 + shipping. My next purchase was destined to be the ATH-AD2000 (and they're now not even $600 including shipping.. decisions, decisions) but the Grado's have piqued my interest.

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #85 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTechKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any other additional thoughts to add re: Old vs. New "i" ?

Do you have any thoughts on SR80 vs 225i? I was thinking about upgrading but have read some threads that indicated that there wasn't much difference between the SR80 and SR225. I see that you have both in your sig...

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #86 of 108
I had a pair of SR80s that underwhelmed me and the bowls were extremely uncomfortable. Then I bought a pair of Ultrasones, then a pair of Senns 590s, which are very comfortable and I like a lot. But then I found on HeadRoom a set of SR80is (B stock) and I'm just burning them in, but I can't imagine a better headphone for the price. The soundstage is just incredible; I was listening to LP of Sounds of Silence and I could actually hear Paul Simon plucking his guitar. The bass, which is almost non-existent on the SR80s is perfect on the Is; there's no artificial heavyness as you hear on the Senns. The midrange is clear and the treble hits all the highs you want it to. I just can't imagine what more you can hear with a pair of $1000 headphones.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #87 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read a lot that points to the contrary. My main beef with said cans was their harshness, and according to what I've read, the SR-225's and RS-1's are apparently a bit more smooth in the top end. If so, they might just be up my alley.

This was my experience. While all are rather bright (Grados being Grados), the SR80, SR125, and SR325 had a sibilance I found extremely irritating. The SR225, RS2, and RS1, for whatever reason, did not. I ended up with the 225s.

Another interesting observation was that Grados' cans seem to be arranged in tiers. I recall the SR80 being a marked improvement over the SR60s, but hardly different from the SR125s. The SR225s were another big step up, but the SR325s were a lot more money for not much improvement. Ditto the RS2s vs the RS1s.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #88 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I put rubber bands around the cups, behind the plastic block and over the metal round post. This keeps the cups from spinning and the headband in the tightest position (I have a smallish head). I switch up the band color now and again, right now I'm using green.

You are my hero. Why the @#%$ didn't I ever think of this?!?

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #89 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglehoser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was my experience. While all are rather bright (Grados being Grados), the SR80, SR125, and SR325 had a sibilance I found extremely irritating. The SR225, RS2, and RS1, for whatever reason, did not. I ended up with the 225s.

Another interesting observation was that Grados' cans seem to be arranged in tiers. I recall the SR80 being a marked improvement over the SR60s, but hardly different from the SR125s. The SR225s were another big step up, but the SR325s were a lot more money for not much improvement. Ditto the RS2s vs the RS1s.

While I agree that the mids/highs were only slightly more clear with the SR325is model over the SR225i, the bass was way way way better! That's why I made the switch.

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #90 of 108
very interesting... id like to hear more about grado and their new stock 8 conductor cable ? are quad conductor cables going out of fashion? and 8 conductor wire the new hype?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back