Grado SR225 vs. Senn. HD595
Sep 29, 2009 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Octavaryum

Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi,

This is my first post, but I've been lurking around for awhile. Right now I have Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers and the Senn. PX100 headphones. I use my computer as the source (mp3 320 or lossless) and have the HT Omega Striker soundcard. I was initially considering the HD595, but read that they are still quite veiled, despite being one of Senn's most forward headphones.

Basically, I dislike the sonics on my px100. Obviously they're not insanely detailed, but they're just too dark and laid-back for my tastes. How do the HD595 compare to this? Would I also dislike them? On a similar note, how do the SR225's compare to the HD595 in terms of comfort and durability?

I listen to mainly progressive metal, heavy metal, power metal, classic rock, prog rock, some jazz, and a bit of classical. I plan on buying a PA2V2 headphone Amp to power both - my budget is basically around $200.

HD595 or SR225?

Oh, and I don't know how I could try them out. I live in Phoenix, AZ - not exactly audiophile land.

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 19
based on ur music tastes and the lots and lots of stuff i read about grados, id say the grados are for u. but im letting u know now that i never tried grados before, i only own the hd595. so ill let someone else speak more about the grados. but based on what ive read in the past, grados would suit u.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 19
Well, the Grado SR225 is definitely the more forward of the two. It has the characteristic Grado sound which is in your face with little soundstage but the HD595 is one of the more mellow sounding headphones I've heard. I wouldn't say it's veiled because it is still a very detailed headphone and mids & treble do have that sparkle but it doesn't come off as bold as the Grado does.

In terms of comfort, I would say HD595 from my experience because it feels like the Grado SR225 simply tries to fall off my head and likes to push my ears against my head. In terms of durability, the SR225 looks like it's cheaply built but I think I'll put more money on the Grado lasting through years of abuse than my HD595. Since the SR225 I heard was several years old already without any signs of breakage, I would say that it simply has less parts to break compared to the HD595. However, if you treat your headphones well, they will treat you well.

Jazz + big stage classical work better on the HD595 according to my ears. However, the SR225 does have a clear advantage in the rest of the genres you've listed.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 19
Grado all the way - save up for an HF-2 and you'll have reached aural nirvana.
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 19
Well, seems it's decided - The Grados are in, the Sennheisers out.

Anyone have a cheap recommendation so I can actually use the headphones with my computer? I don't want to buy Grados 40$ extension cable + its $20 adapter. Will this suffice for this level of fidelity?

20-Ft. Stereo Headphone Cable, 1/8" Plug to 1/4" Jack - RadioShack.com

Thanks for your help guys, you and headfi changed my decision from the HD595 to the SR225i's, which I now realize I probably would have disliked as I listen to my px100 more.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 19
Listened to both and i say grados are more fun and rewarding. I don't particularly think the 225s are a good buy pricewise (better used), but I'd take them over the 595s in a heartbeat.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 19
I have both, and they are powered by a Little Dot I+ hybrid. The Grados are the clear winner for all things metal. Alterbridge, Bullet for my Valentine, Dream Theater all go to the SR225. (There are others, just those pop into my head right now)

The HD595 though get used when I listen to Pink Floyd, any kind of jazz, blues, and country.

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 19
Definetly Grados. HD595 still has that Sennheisers dark and laidback soundsignature, not too different from PX100.

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 19
Well, I bought the Grados from Headroom for $180 shipped. Ended up paying a bit more than I would've for the HD595's, but hopefully it will be worth it! I'll post again once I receive them and do some serious listening.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 19
Enjoy the Grados... I am listening to the 225s right now. They are great headphones and are super easy to drive. I loved my 595s but they took a little more juice to get them to shine and can still end up sounding a bit muddy with a fast track. I have since upgraded to the hd650 but that is in another ballpark and takes like 10 minutes to get ready to listen to with the DAC, the Amp, warming up, etc.

Hope you find the sr225 to be comfortable. If not, try washing the pads in warm soapy water a couple times (you can be pretty abusive, they'll take it) or you can try the senn quarter mod with the hd414 pads.

Have fun.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Octavaryum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have a cheap recommendation so I can actually use the headphones with my computer? I don't want to buy Grados 40$ extension cable + its $20 adapter. Will this suffice for this level of fidelity?

20-Ft. Stereo Headphone Cable, 1/8" Plug to 1/4" Jack - RadioShack.com

To me, Grados are notable for their solid, high-quality seeming cables. It would be a shame to disrupt that connection to your source with a cheap Rat Shack cable. I'm sure there are people who will tell me that it makes absolutely no difference, I just wouldn't do it myself. I know it's alot of money for a cable, but you can justify it in that when you inevitably get more headphones, you can use it for those too. It appears better to me than the stock cable on any under $500 headphone, and so you will never have to worry that it is the weak link in your system, until you start going for the $500-$1000 headphones and up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back