Grado SR225 IEM replacement?
Apr 5, 2008 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BBY03evo

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a IEM that has a grado like sound. I know they will never be quite as good though.
wink.gif

I have a pair of UE super pro5s and do not like the rolled off treble at all. Plus they are huge...lol

Only want to spend up to $200, was thinking maybe the Q-jays??

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi BBYO,

I rely on a pair of modded 225s & e500 for portable use. Right now my Shures have developed a crack in the hardwire, so they're back to Shure for repair-replacement. Meanwhile it's the 225s exclusively, and they really remind me of my ER4s's with their detail and fine high-range response. Now that's only a matter of degree, of course. I still have my ER4s, but I don't use them for music because after nearly two years of E5/500 I find them a bit harsh in the high range. But their sound is definitely closer to the 225 than to Shure.

And, of course, the price is right
smily_headphones1.gif

Andy

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 12
The ER4's have the same type of frequency response as the Grado's, however, their lack of soundstage might be a bit disappointing. The only IEM's that I know of that have any amount of soundstage whatsoever are the UE Triple.fi 10's but they're about double your price range. I would say as far as frequency response goes the ER4's are your best bet. They just won't have that super spacey feel that the Grado's do, but no IEM truly has a wide open soundstage like that.

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 12
Although I think the Etys edge them overall, I would point towards the LiveWires for a more Grado-like presentation. Not sure either has the signature (like everything it depends on what you focus on), but as I think of the Grados as less balanced and articulate, but more fun and impactful, that's where I place the LiveWires. Haven't heard the UE to compare.

Apr 5, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have my ER4s, but I don't use them for music because after nearly two years of E5/500 I find them a bit harsh in the high range. But their sound is definitely closer to the 225 than to Shure.

I've got the SR-225 as well as the ER-4S, and this is probably the opposite of what I would say. See my Nick Cave sends Grado SR-225 over the top thread for discussion on this.

Apr 5, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the ER4's in the low-mid range?

I love detailed sound and sparkling (non sibilant!) highs like I get them from good electrostats. In the IEM world the ER4S are the ones to get that from. However, the Etys got less use since I have bought the HD25-1. Then I got the Livewires. A great many rave about them, but I was pretty disappointed with the lack of extension and detail in the highs. As a consequence I rockboxed my gen 5 Ipod as this gave me access to (almost) lossless EQ-ing and helped with the Livewires. Somewhere along the way I tried the ER4S, in which I had somewhat lost interest, with a low shelf boost of 6 to 9 dB at 60 Hz (compensated for with a precut of the same amount). This made me rediscover the Etys! Not only does the bass itself take large profit out of that (it is still very tight and controlled, the complete opposite of what happens when taking Apple's approach to equalization), the overall presentation becomes more real, and even more spacious. I don't use any equalization in my home rigs. However, for the en-route use of the ER4S EQ-ing turns it into an IEM that is very close to (my) ideal.

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 12
Shure e4c had a somewhat grado-like presentation : forward mids, not overly extended bass, but with a slightly more polite treble. However, I don't know how the se310 (the e4c replacement) compares to it.

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the ER4P be good for the music I listen to like Dream Theater, Communic, Nightwish, In flames, HIM and so on....?

I really don't think you can go wrong in any way with the ER-4. In my opinion, every strength of the Grado SR-225 is there, but the highs are even better. Nice to see that Finland is on your musical map
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 12
I am also a Grado guy and I love the Ety ER-4S. I've had mine for about six or seven years, I think, and I would never seriously consider another one (though I will probably listen to some at CanJam). It fits in your price range, too, so it's certainly worth a shot.

I've never heard the ER-4P so I can't comment on that one.

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't think you can go wrong in any way with the ER-4. In my opinion, every strength of the Grado SR-225 is there, but the highs are even better. Nice to see that Finland is on your musical map
wink.gif

haha yea it seems like my favorite bands are from Finland.
biggrin.gif
or other countries besides the US.
redface.gif

I am ordering a pair of ER-4P's today!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back